“I had a good experience!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ibis Medellin

Ibis Medellin
Ranked #6 of 103 Hotels in Medellin
Cartagena, Colombia
“I had a good experience!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I visit this hotel for vacation and let me tell you is a good hotel to relax, the rooms are a little small but very comfortable and quiet, the staff are very kind and helpfulness special Higuita I received a friendly attention from him would be very nice if everybody in the front desk work like he does! (congratulations!!). It´s a hotel that is very well located very close to Lleras Park where you can go to the disco, restaurant and walk around and the taxi can charge around 3 dollar. Only I had a few problems for example my air conditioning want´s working but they change my room immediately, I could not use the WIFI by my phone or computer and I had problem with the code at the business center (all time) and the first day I ask for a wake up call at 6:00am and they didn´t call me so I missed my tour coz I woke up at 9:00am by the way could recommend this hotel to my friends if it is only for a few days.
I had not time to take my breakfast so I don´t know if its good or not but I guest is Okey and they have a good prices.

I Hope to get back soon.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank indo p
Hotel Ibis Mede... C, Director de Recepción at Ibis Medellin, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you for your comments. I apologize for the inconvenience with the WIFI and with your wake up call. Every day we are trying to improve our service, and we this comments, I´m sure we are keep wporking on it.

Best Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Bogotá, Cundinamarca, Colombia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

The hotel is close to Industriales metro station which makes it very easy to move around the city. Also is close to parque lleras which is the "it" place to go dancing, drinking or just in the mood for a good food.

Rooms are small which makes it somewhat uncomfortable to hang around longer than just to sleep, with that said, they are very clean and good enough for a night of sleep. If you like to spend most of your time out in the city, it´s perfect.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank blpgirl
Hotel Ibis Mede... C, Director de Recepción at Ibis Medellin, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
thank you for your comments. We appreciate it and we hope to see you again in our hotel
Hannover
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

As a LeClub Accor member I stay almost every week in an Accor Hotel throughout the world. I must admit that I have never been such disappointed from the service of the hotel staff than in this hotel. Check-in took over 20 minutes. I booked as usual the trip over the App from Accor Hotel and they supposedly could not find the reservation payment details. I had to keep sending them Emails with my confirmation details but still it was supposedly not clear for them. I had to discuss with them at night for another 5 minutes and in the morning once again for several minutes until they finally accepted my reservation as I booked it. Then they told me rude that they will do my work and figure this out.

As I told above I travel a lot and never felt so unwelcome than in this hotel of the Accor Group. Additionally, the room walls are thin and you hear almost everything your room neighbor talks about. Don't expect any special treatment such as a room upgrade or what so ever if you are a Accor member. I asked them polite for a room with a nice view and they told me that nothing was free. This is hard to believe since other people checked in later that day and received rooms with nicer views.

Overall I will definitely not come back to this hotel and will certainly prefer other ones in this beautiful city.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fab1896
Hotel Ibis Mede... C, Director de Recepción at Ibis Medellin, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
I truly apologize for the inconvenience you may had with us. It is not our kind of service to make you feel unwelcome. Sometimes, in our effort to make things in the right way, we forget the time of the guest and we may cause delays or process a little bit longer

Please accept our apologies and we hope you can return to our hotel, to serve you better.

Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

This hotel is in an area of town that was previously industrial. Its location is quite convenient as its fairly central to all the attractions around Medellin including a big mall, The Premium Plaza, restaurants and bars. Across the street is one of Medellin's best kept secrets, the Bonuar Restaurant.

Rooms are a little small but are kept very neat and clean by a dedicated staff. There is no pool or gym. All in all, this is a business mans hotel. No frills but just right for a quick stint in and out of town.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul W
Hotel Ibis Mede... C, Director de Recepción at Ibis Medellin, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you so much for your comments. We hope you enjoyed your stay and we look forward having you here again.
Long Island, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

But if you are like me and look for a clean, well located place to spend a few nights while on vacation, then this hotel fills the bill. Some people spend a lot of time in their hotels and insist on all the bells and whistles. Ok, I get that. But I spend most of my time out and about, looking at what a city has to offer and need the hotel to be close to transportation, restaurants and points of interest. The Ibis does all that. It's within short walking distance of the Premium Plaza where you will find restaurants, shops and a place to exchange money for pesos at a good rate. It is across the street from the Museum of Modern Art. Ten minute walk to the Metro and more restaurants and shops. About a three dollar cab ride to the Poblado sector with dozens of restaurants. Nice, comfortable rooms with TV, personal safe, free Wi-Fi and restaurant in house. No room mini bar or room service, so the place offers a pleasant bar in the lobby that is open all the time. My wife and I found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful. They gave us valuable advice about what areas of the city to be extra careful in and where we would be perfectly safe at any time of day or night. There is an interesting option given to the clientele that instructs the staff not to change the bed linens on any particular day and being a person interested in conservation, I particularly liked this approach to saving water and resources. I would not hesitate to stay there again. If pushed to find any negatives at all, I'd say that a pool might have been a plus, and personally I prefer bar soap to shower gel which the hotel provides. Could have used some additional towels and I also found myself looking for a garbage can in the room but there was only one provided in the bathroom. Would I pay twice or three times the amount to get those "luxuries"? No way.

Room Tip: Some reviewers have mentioned the lower floors as being noisy due to road noise. My room was on the...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank astroarchitect
Hotel Ibis Mede... C, Director de Recepción at Ibis Medellin, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
We are pleased that you had a great stay in our hotel. I appreciate you took the time to make a great review to explain little details that for us make a huge impact to help the environment and our planet.
We hope to see you again in Medellin.
Lugano, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

You know what your get, a clean room a good bed and a good shower for a decent price. What more can you ask for?
Checking-in is somewhat slow as a lot of paper still needs to be produced. I guess this is government regulation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gugi46
Hotel Ibis Mede... C, Director de Recepción at Ibis Medellin, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you for your comments and also for your recomendation about the paperwork, because it is part of the government and also Ibis standards to make sure to have everything in order for audit or the government. We hope you had a nice stay and we hope to see you again at Ibis Medellín
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

As many others have mentioned, the location is convenient to the metro and center of the city.

Oh the other hand, lower floors can be a bit noisy from the street. The hotel, while very clean and well organized lacks the warmth of other hotels.

I was in the 5th floor and had problems with the wifi, when calling the front I had to move my things back downstairs just to exchange the key. The receptionist gave me a room on the 2nd floor and when I asked if it was noisy, she said they were all the same. Unfortunately that was not the case, you certainly hear more road noise on the 2nd floor then you might on the 5th, or 15th.

I was also moved to a room with a toilet that leaked and made noise, and a bathroom door that would not fully close. Typically I would have said something, but after already changing because of the wifi, and the staff not being very friendly to accommodate me before, I just decided to put up with it.

Certainly those are particular to my experience, and might not apply to your stay. As others have mentioned the hotel is very space efficient (small) and lacks things like a minibar/refrigerator, washcloths (just 2 shower towels), individual soap/shampoo/conditioner/lotion, instead you get a generic soap dispenser (like in public bathrooms) next to the sink and another in the shower. the Wifi can also be sportatic. Each single room is given a wifi code specific to the room, so if there is more then on person or even more then one device (say phone and computer), you will have to call the front desk to request and additional code.

Also, if you have a guest, they have to be registered downstairs before they can go anywhere in the hotel besides the lobby. If they don't have their ID, forget it, they can not enter. They are very strict about that.

I have stayed at the hotel a few times before, but shorter stays. I will likely not return though since their are better hotels in the area like the Estelar blue. I've stayed in about a dozen here, and that is my favorite. I also prefer the Hotel Diaz. Both are full service. Even a cheaper hotel like Hotel Central Plaza might rank higher in my book then Ibis based on the friendliness of the staff, the little things like the minibar, individual soap/conditioner/shampoo, and even the free coffee downstairs.

Room Tip: get a higher floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Hotel Ibis Mede... C, Director de Recepción at Ibis Medellin, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thank you so much for your comments. Although we would like you to return to our hotel, we believe in free will, but we hope to see you again at some point.

Best Regards,