“Excellent Hotel, Incredible Staff, Beautiful Area...”

Hotel Poblado Alejandria
Ranked #2 of 111 Hotels in Medellin
Reviewed 9 November 2010

I just returned from my vacation to Medellin, Colombia where I had the pleasure of staying at Hotel Poblado Alejandria. The hotel is located at the intersection of Calle 3 Sur and Carrera 36 in Poblado, which is an upscale part of Medellin. The area is beautiful, quite and safe.

The hotel is meticulously maintained. I had reserved a standard room with two beds which were a bit firm but that’s the norm in Colombia. The beds came with a small comforter which kept me quite warm in the colder nights. The room had A/C, cable TV, ample closet space, spacious bathroom and was very roomy. Poblado is very quiet at night so there were no problems with noise of any kind.

The hotel staff was incredible, I felt like a guest in their home. They would go out of their way to make sure you were well taken care of. They would always greet you with smile and were willing to help you in any way they could.

The morning breakfast, which is included, was delicious. It was buffet style… you had choices of freshly squeezed juices, coffee, fresh selection of fruits and cheeses, various breads, arrepas and eggs. The staff members would bring you coffee to your table and even make your eggs to your liking.

The hotel does not have a pool but I didn't miss it. Located on the top floor, you will find the gym, two bathrooms, two scenic decks and two jacuzzi's. It was great place to come and relax. The views were incredible!

Taxis were always available to take you anywhere you need to go. They would normally be a few parked just to the right of the entrance. On the busier nights, the porter would call one for you if none were available when you walked down.

Close by you will find anything you need. I spent some time at the Santa Fe Centro Comercial with is just a 5-10 min taxi ride from the hotel. This is a 5 story mall with just about anything you can imagine. Sampled some great food, did some shopping, enjoyed the great scenery and even went to the movie theatre located on the 5th floor.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank POTENTIA

Reviewed 2 July 2010

Just got back from Colombia, we stayed at this hotel for five nights even though we were not planning on it. We changed our plan once we stayed there the first night and were convinced that staying there was our best option.

Rooms are nice and the beds are pretty comfortable, room service is good and the food is also reasonably priced. Room rates is a great value.

But the most important thing that makes this hotel so good is the amazing service they provided us. They searched for an outside laundry for us, arranged a mini-bus transportation to visit Santa Fe de Antioquia and really were there all the time for anything we needed. This goes for all employees starting with the manager himself and ending with the bell boys(Luis Hernando I believe his name was).

Even though it is located at the top of a steep hill, the area itself if very nice, calm and safe.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank IvanPSanJuan
Reviewed 21 October 2009

We just got back from Colombia this past weekend. We really enjoyed our short stay at this hotel. Though a bit of a climb up a steep hill, the hotel is a gem. We were greeted with coffee when we arrived and had great service through our stay. They arranged tour guides for us (they only use ex military) and made great suggestions as to where to go. The breakfasts were delicious and everything was Clean! (I am a clean freak, especially when traveling). Medellin is a wonderful modern city that has made strides in moving past it's recent negative history. The friendly helpful people who work at the Alejandria made our stay even better.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank metrowmn
Reviewed 16 September 2009

This hotel has everything to have an excellent vacation or a business trip, excellent service, excellent location, safe place, and an excellent breakfast.
The Best of this hotel is the people, every single time they ask how I can help you, and its true the live with the service and for the service.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2009

I was extremely pleased with my experience here. First of all, I arrived at 7am by bus from Bogota, and they had no problem with me checking in that early. In fact, the doorman, Luis, made sure to bring me coffee while I was waiting to checking in. I found the hotel clean, and well run. The rooms were very spacious and comfortable. The wifi was terrific, making it extremely easy to skype back to the US in my room with my iphone. I loved having breakfast in the patio. The best thing about this place was the service. The staff was genuinely compassionate and helpful. They also have 2 jacuzzis on an open deck on the top floor. I cannot tell you how relaxing it was to sit in a steaming jacuzzi during sunset, with a cold drink and the backdrop of the buildings and mountains of Medellin around you.

Only two complaints - the hotel is at the top of a steep hill. Walking down to Poblado... no problem. But walking back up that hill was not fun. I ended up having to take a taxi up the hill everytime (yea, I'm a little lazy)
The other thing was the maid service was too enthusiastic. I was taking a nap around 4pm, and they knocked on my door 3 times within an hour to see if I needed turn down service. I should have put the 'do not disturb' sign up but come on, i was in the middle of a nap (yea, I'm a little lazy)

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Noturavg
Reviewed 2 September 2009

This hotel was quite an experince, first night the doors of elevator keeped on opeining every floor, when i went to sleep first night i felt a slap in my face like ghost, woke up turn everything off ,In the morning , i asked for an iron they said on sundays we dont do ironings , better bring an iron next time especially on sundays, next night another ghost clapped 3 times to wake me up my sleep , got upset left the hotel next day, p.s. only good breakfeast, better be athiletic to walk up the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank shotry
Reviewed 2 June 2009

I have been to the Poblado Alejandria 4 times and I always come back. This is the best value in Medellin and I have to say I tried five different hotels before.
The staff is not only friendly but helpful: they will make your stay quite pleasant and try to accommodate all your requirement.s The hotel is exceptionally clean and the rooms are very nice and well illuminated. Expect a shower and not a bathtub (which I find great) Buffett breakfast is out of the ordinary: you will see more fruits here than I can remember.
Well, you're just in the tropical highland, in a beautiful city with amazing weather 365 days a year. Even when it's raining you can walk along the tree lined streets of El Poblado, go down the hill and why not? do some shopping if you have time (those rookie travelers can always take a cab :-)
Don't pay attention to reviews comparing this hotel to US hotels. Hello!... This is another country, and a very nice one. Get the real experience of Antoquia & Colombia, and leave North America where it is. You still can watch CNN in the room.
Oh yes, I forgot I was on business: well, the wireless internet is flawless and you can meet with clients in the lobby or ask the hotel to make arrangements for the meeting room, even arrange a working brunch... how about that for service?

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business