“What a terrible place”
Review of Nutibara Hotel

Nutibara Hotel
Ranked #139 of 239 Speciality Lodging in Medellin
Reviewed 14 January 2014

In the middle of the most insecure part of the city, rooms are uncomfortable and not clean, I can't know when was the last time they give some maintenance to this place, we staid there just one night and was enough during this time we experience 2 electricity issues with the last one we scape from stuck in the elevator.

Room Tip: DO NOT reserve here
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 December 2013

We arrived on a Sunday evening. They do not have a hotel restaurant. Only several options that are part of like a food court. This is a cerca 1945 hotel, with a couple of new bed spreads, and towels.
The morning breakfast "buffet" is a joke.
The Metro runs right next to the hotel, and very noisy.
We will never stay here again, no matter what kind of deal they offer.

Room Tip: Not the place to stay if you need a good nights sleep, or safe place to walk during the day. We regu...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2013

This hotel is in downtown Medellin. If you for some reason can't find an hotel or B&B in Poblado you can book this hotel in Downtown Medellin. However take care particularly after dark there are rougher areas just two block away from the hotel (behind the hotel). Otherwise the hotel has very serviceminded staff, very good VIFI connection, a Safe in the room, TV and clean room with a good bed. The hotel seems to be under a meantanence phase after the hotel looks a bit worn down. In the morning you will be treated with a very good breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The hotel Nutibara is a beautiful building that feels like it's about to collapse at any moment. I normally enjoy a great balcony, but every time I stepped out to the balconies here I felt like it was going to give out under me. My shower door wouldn't close, so I was stuck either holding the door closed while I showered or having a flooded bathroom floor afterwards. The rooms were generally clean, but there were plenty of indicators that a mop hadn't been run over the floors in a while. Windows were so dirty they couldn't be seen through. The cheap drop ceilings in the shower didn't exactly hide the pipes and guts of the building. More importantly, it did nothing to stop steam from collecting in the ceiling.

The staff at the hotel were generally friendly although not exactly outgoing. I was told that there was a breakfast on the third floor, but I never found it. In fact, I never even found a cup of coffee. Their site states that "some" rooms have internet; mine did not.

I would only recommend this place for people who enjoy the nostalgic aspect of older hotels (this one from the 1940's but horribly managed), or for people looking to stay close to really cheap drugs and girls.

There are some really nice views from this hotel, but they don't hold any sort of monopoly on nice views in Medellin. The hotel also has very hot water and decent security.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 March 2013

This hotel is located in the heart of the city, close to the town square. It also employs some very helpful and friendly people. Based on these two factors I give the hotel 2 stars, but that's being very generous!! The hotel is in need of a major overhaul; the problem is, that's being done 'as you sleep'!! Arriving near midnight from Bogota, exhausted, I hardly noticed the filthy bathroom (horrible smells!!) and the ancient fixtures, not to mention the concave mattress that appeared to be nearly as old as the hotel itself. What scared the living daylights out of me, however, was the jack-hammering that began sometime around 2:00 a.m. Yes, you read that correctly, 2 a.m. I thought I was having nightmares or we were experiencing an earthquake, but it was only the hotel's renovation project taking place during the middle of the night. There was no air-conditioning in the room I had on the 6th floor, so shutting the windows was not an option. Other than the bubbly-friendly staff, from reception to the waiters at our conference, I cannot find much else positive to say about this hotel. I'm hoping that the remodeled Nutibara will be a better place, but until that renovation is finished, I'd highly suggest staying away if you really want to use the hotel for resting!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms that has already been renovated! Several of my colleagues got newer rooms t...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank William G
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I operate Ecotours in Colombia and figured I would try this hotel in Medellin. I arrived with a large group in time for dinner after talking to the staff about our arrival time. They had instructions to do pre check in and I had sent them all the information they needed for pre check in. They had nothing ready, and this was one of the busiest weekends in Medellin. It took us an hour to check in. They had decided to close the kitchen and serve our meals in styrofoam containers in a room the size of a closet. Nobody in the group was able to eat the horible food. They had also screwed up my reservations so some of us had to share rooms.
The staff did not seem to care about the screw up, and when I asked to speak to the manager they said it was not posible. I was finally able to speak to the manager and he was apologetic, but tried to explain that it was not their fault. In all, the manager was not helpful and did nothing to make our stay a pleasant one. Please DO NOT go to this hotel, the staff and manager have ZERO customer service skills and showed no interest in fixing their mistakes.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank chris c
Reviewed 15 August 2012

First off this is not for the person who wants to enjoy the hotel. It is ideal for someone who wants to get to know Medellin, be in the center of the city, and be walking distance to a lot of nightlife and shopping. I enjoyed my stay, the hotel is a little old but so is the neighborhood. The reason i stayed here is because the bus to the airport picks up right behind the hotel, which saved me about 40 dollars instead of taking a taxi and was very convenient. The hotel staff was friendly the bellman Gonzalo became my best friend afteR I gave home a three dollar tip and recommended one of the best restaurants I've eaten at anywhere called hatoviejo which is walking distance in the city. The hotel is across the street from a tourist info booth which was very helpful in giving me directions provided me with a free map and is two blocks away from the train which goes everywhere. The turibus which is a 4 hour guided tour of the city picks up right outside the hotel at 9am and 1pm and costs 11 usd. Very nice. So to sum up if you want to stay in a resort it looks like the poblado area is a safe bet. If you want to be in the city and feel the liveliness of the city and don't mind a run down hotel then hotel nutibara is not a bad choice.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple