“Great little find in Asbury Park...”
Review of Hotel Tides

Hotel Tides
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Asbury Park
Lakeland, Florida
“Great little find in Asbury Park...”
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We had such a nice stay at this great little boutique hotel. It looks like an old B&B on the outside, but once you walk in, it's very modern and tastefully decorated with a bar and restaurant on site. I travel up to this area from Florida quite often as my older children live in the area, and I've stayed in Ocean Grove several times. No more! I have found my new go to spot! Bed was super comfy, and room 309 was very spacious with lots of windows. It's located on a nice treelined street, and is an easy walk to the boardwalk. I didn't have an opportunity to try the restaurant as we had other plans every night, but next time I will make it a point to have a free night to "stay in". Dawn and Ryan were super friendly and I thank them both for their hospitality.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Summit
Reviewed 17 September 2012 via mobile

We really liked this hotel . The bed was very good and I loved the pillows , soft and comfy . Very modern and scandinavian , sleek style . The breakfast was good with yoghurt and fresh fruit . Granola and some sweet things . I miss toast and some unsweeten things . Maybe that will come . I asked about the outside of the hotel which is very worn and is like another hotel when one compares to the inside. The man at the frontdesk said that they are renovating one step at the time . So when that happens and they add some more nonsweet things to their breakfast , it will be perfect ! The staff was very friendly and the pool area lovely . Overall a really good experience

• Stayed September 2012
Belmar, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 September 2012

My husband and I stayed here for the 1st time 2 years ago. The Hotel had a valentines day package, so we came for dinner and stayed over. Since then, we have been back multiple times. The rooms are fantastic- they have upgraded beds and linens, nice comfortable rooms, river rock shower floor and cool looking sinks. Overall lots of nice touches.

I read some of the posting, which say the hotel isn't, plush. Well I can only assume that's because it's a small, quaint hotel with about 20 rooms. So, no room service, I don't think there were robes, etc. But, it's the kind of place you stay at for atmosphere and location and in my opinion is perfect. It's clean, modern and only about two blocks to the beach. Plus, I have stayed at both of the other two hotels in Asbury Park and as far as cleanliness, upgrades and staff, Hotel Tides far exceeds the competition. More, they don't price gouge their guests when it comes to a special events. For example for Bamboozled this year, rooms at other hotels were averaging $600! Though it was sold out a room at Hotel Tides was about $250.

They have a small spa, beautiful outdoor swimming pool, top rate restaurant, and small fun bar. As I said, I have been back many times, not just to stay, but also for dinner with friends or a quick drink. The staff is always amazing. I have never been disappointed with the service or a meal. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms in the middle are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HunnLaw
jersey city, nj
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I spent one night at this hotel over the Labor Day Weekend. First, it's not bad. However it's far from great, and not a plush hotel which one might think it is were you to read its website.

The pro's: it's not far from the beach, it's very clean, the beds are comfortable as are the linens on them, and the staff that I encountered were all very pleasant and competent.

The con's: you can hear EVERYTHING going on in the room next to you, in the hallway outside your door, and from the street. The towels are one stop up from Bounty paper toweling, the rooms are as stark and sterile as a hospital room, and the shower curtain (at least in my room) had rungs hanging off the rod as if someone tore it prior to my checking in (it was a cheap Ikea'ish shower curtain). Yes, the floors of the shower stalls were stone and somewhat uncomfortable, but I would have been fine with that as, aesthetically, they do look cool. But the tiny "flat screen TV" pinned to a start white wall really resembled what you see in a hospital room.

I think they could spruce up the rooms by adding some depth to the decor by painting the walls different colors, or by adding even one splashy piece of art work. They also had rigid hours for their continental breakfast. 8:30 to 10:30? Why not have coffee, alone, available from 7AM to 10:30? There really is no place to walk to, other than McDonalds or Welsh Farms (on a sketchy stretch of Main St, I might add) to get coffee anywhere else.

This place has potential. I hope they take the time to add just a few touches to what they've already constructed.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank jcsjs
New York
Reviewed 10 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend with another couple. The public areas of hotel itself have been restored and look great. The front porch is amazing and it was great to sit down, relax and talk to the other guests. The restaurant was excellent and the four of us loved everything we ate there.

As for the rooms, our room was a decent size and equipped with a clock radio that was also an ipod dock. Our friends' room was smaller, but serviceable. There was no tempurature control in the rooms, which I found odd. What is OK for me may be too warm for someone else. The staff were also helpful.

I would not rely on the breakfast here. There is yogurt, miniature muffins and other really small pastries and, when available, coffee and orange juice. It is bare bones, seems like an afterthought on the part of the hotel and every morning I had to wait for coffee to be made. One morning, the hotel ran out of cups, dishes (the used ones were sitting on the counter) and milk. I drank my coffee from a small bowl. For the price that was charged for our room, breakfast should be a better experience. Also, our bed cover was obviously stained when we got there. It should have been changed before we were given our room. However, when we noted the blood on the cover, it was changed. Finally, I found it a bit inhospitable to be told at check in that late check-out cannot be accommodated. It wasn't an issue for us, but it runs counter to what is in the guestbook and seems uninviting.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wdrefan
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 29 June 2012

The Hotel Tides is like a home-cooked meal -- it might not look like much but it's secretly fantastic. OK, so the front of the building looks like a run-down house... it's lovely inside, totally renovated, with a beautiful fake waterfall and fireplace and a delightful bar. The rooms are small, but the beds are exceedingly comfortable, and the showers are phenomenal: stone floors and broad showerheads give you that "I'm showering outside in the rain" feeling.

The best part of the Tides, however, is the staff. Honestly, they couldn't do more to help make your stay perfect. There was no request they didn't leap to make, no offer they didn't suggest.

The Hotel Tides is cute and quirky, sweet and warm... it's like the best parts of a Wes Anderson film without all the annoying talking.

Room Tip: spring for the King rooms if you get the chance
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MaxLaw65
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 January 2012

At the Hotel Tides in Asbury Park – great for a delicious late dinner at the bar, try the Steak Frites, Pan-seared Scallops, and Fig and Bleu Cheese Salad, while absorbing the somewhat edgy, funky-hip atmosphere in this unexpected gem among the beautifully restored homes on the northern fringe of the city, well off the beaten track. Rooms are small and ho-hum, but with very comfy beds interesting bathroom design features -- bring flip-flops to wear on the painfully but prettily pebbled shower floor. As others have written the windows do open to fresh air . . . thanks goodness as the temp is controlled by a central thermostat and our room was about 95 degrees. The staff was warm, welcoming, accommodating, and engaging. However, for accommodations at this price you can do much better at The Asbury Ocean Beach Inn a few blocks south on Asbury Avenue and on the beaten track.

Room Tip: go for a king with a fridge, they must be bigger . . . .
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Red Roof Inn Neptune
Red Roof Inn Neptune
#2 of 6 in Neptune
Holiday Inn Express Neptune

Been to Hotel Tides? Share your experiences!