“Not quite ready yet”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Asbury Park
San Jose, California
“Not quite ready yet”
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

This hotel seems confused. The decor and style are trying very hard, but do not fit the style and era of the building. There was an odd mix of expensive fixtures but lack of upkeep and no decor on walls. Doors were cracked, paint chipped, no hand towels, freezing room that we could not adjust the temperature on. Horrible loud clanking noise when others used the water on our floor. The staff only seemed mildly interested when we told them about the freezing temp and noise.

It felt like the hotel was not ready to be open yet. Also breakfast included good coffee but pasteries from the grocery store, yogurt, some grapes and clementines.

Restaurant seemed hopping but we did not eat there. This place is not quite prime time ready.

• Stayed January 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stayed at the Tides over the long Labor Day weekend, a bit of a return for me to a town in which I spent much time in my youth in the late 70s and early 80s. Asbury Park has improved tremendously, but is still pretty disjointed - the nicely redone boardwalk seems miles away from the small but interesting downtown, even though they are in reality less than a mile apart.

As for the Tides: The building itself has a bit of a rooming house feel from the outside; there's quite a jarring aesthetic disjuncture between the stylish interior and the shabby (and not chic) exterior. The rooms are tiny but nicely done, though we found our sheets stained when we checked in - a big turnoff - and the shower curtain was a bit mildewed. The staff kindly took care of replacing the sheets while we were out enjoying the beautiful afternoon surf. The hotel's location leaves a bit to be desired - in the midst of a residential neighborhood and not too close to the center of the action. Walking back and forth to restaurants and clubs at night was OK for hard-core Philadelphians like ourselves but I couldn't imagine a suburbanite making the trek after dark. Maybe some bikes for guests?

The pool and deck are gorgeous (though I don't really go to the Jersey Shore to sit by a pool). It would be nice if the $250 a night tariff came with a complementary beach badge. The bar is nice, too, but closes promptly at 11; we came in relatively early our first night and wanted to have a drink with our fellow travelers, and the bartender had already closed the cash drawer at 10:58 (Sprint cellphone time). Now if it were me, I would have given my guests a complementary drink or at least allowed them to write an "IOU" to be entered on their bill, but, alas, the bartender was a bit rude about it, I must say.

Anyway, we loved the Asbury Park experience in general - good beaches without a total mob scene, good restaurants, awesome live music (Wonder Bar!), great antiquing, easy to get to from Philly (and since it's on the "north shore" as far as my fellow Philadelphians are concerned, no traffic going our way). All else being equal, though, we'd probably stay at the Berkeley next time...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jeff H
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This was a great hotel. Rooms were clean and neat, not ostentacious. Bed was comfortable, bathroom was ample. Fridge in room, no hair dryer though.
The hotel also had a bar and restaurant which were active but not too noisey. Will stay here on our next visit

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 8 September 2013

My kids and I had a very nice stay at this hotel. It had its good points and not so good points though. We would stay here again.

Good Points: The staff was very friendly and helpful. We all really enjoyed the beautiful and relaxing pool in the back of the hotel. Having a free continental breakfast set out in the morning is a very nice touch. The beds were comfortable. The hotel was only a short walk to a nice beach.

Less Good Points: The rooms are small. There was some noise from the bar and restaurant when we were going to sleep around 10:30-11:00 (luckily we live in New York City so we are used to some noise). The saddle between the bathroom and the room was several inches high so we all stubbed our toes more than once. I believe there was no phone in the room, so we were not able to call the front desk, we had to go downstairs with questions and there were no wake up calls - the alarm clock was a bit tricky to figure out.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank MarieAnne225
new york
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My mother, Wife and I just returned from a weekend stay in Asbury Park at The Tides Hotel. We truly enjoyed every minute of our stay. From the moment we arrived, we were warmly greeted and helped with our luggage to our double room on the 3rd floor. The room was very comfortable with plush down comforters, ceiling fans (central AC) and a beautiful new large bathroom with stone floor shower. The hotel lobby is stylish and modern featuring a full service bar area and gourmet restaurant. We ate in the restaurant our first night and the atmosphere and service was excellent. We were a bit disappointed with our salads and desert--the spinach salad was rather bland and the key lime flan was watery not fluffy, but our main courses were very good. The hotel provided a simple but much appreciated continental breakfast with coffee/tea granola, yogurt and small pastries. I really enjoyed sitting on the front porch with my breakfast and also have a nightcap in the lobby before bed. The pool area in the back is lovely-with a large refreshing pool. The hotel also has a Spa which we did not partake in this time around, but would certainly try in the future.
Overall, it was a very relaxing stay with a luxurious touch and warm welcoming atmosphere.
I highly recommend if you want a place to unwind in Asbury Park off the beaten track. The Tides is close enough to the beach/boardwalk (about 3-4 blocks) but far enough away to provide a tranquil atmosphere.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
South Orange, NJ
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stayed at Hotel Tides this weekend, for our first time visiting Asbury Park.
Upon arrival, it was disconcerting to have to walk through a porch full of smokers to check in. I know the hotel is non-smoking, so this made no sense to me.
The front desk clerk was actually smoking on the porch ad escorted us in. She was the only female clerk we met, I think her name was Dawn but not sure. She didn't really take time to explain the amenities and area very well, other than to pull out a map and ask if I needed to hair dryer. She also told us to take pool towels right then. Honestly, I expected a little more warmth and she seemed more interested in getting back to her cigarette on the porch.
Fortunately we got a parking spot not far away and we were able to retrieve our bags and walk up to the third floor. As we were almost done, someone else who works there saw us and offered to help, but we didn't need it at that point. When we got to our room I was surprised at how small it was. I chose a queen room, no kings were available, and from the photo I expected it to be a bit larger. We are not big people but every time I walked around the bed I banged my knee on the metal bed frame. My husband did as well. The bathroom was clean, with a nice sized shower.
First thing I did once we settled in was look at the hotel book to see if there was wifi, and nothing was listed. We went down to the front desk where someone else (a pleasant man) wrote the wifi info on a are and gave us some more info. He also told us if we needed ice to bring down the bucket and they'd fill it for us since they had a machine.
The pool area was nice but people were smoking out there too, although supposedly it's not permitted.
Breakfast really is just a small continental bkfst, not a buffet. Since we went to the beach early and got there around 10, there was a spoonful of blueberries left (not replenished), Yoplait yogurts, granola, coffee, tea oranges and juice, oh, and some cereal bars.. No bread or baked goods, not much if you don't eat dairy or gluten. Coffee was not good, for a boutique style hotel i expect a notch above, not a costco assortment labeled as a buffet. Dawn (or the female clerk) was there and again she was fairly cold, doing her job begrudgingly. We Inquired about ice and she huffed and said they barely had any but she would see what she could do. (Really! They run a hotel and restaurant, no ice?) when another guest inquired about a healthier brand of yogurt she said basically, what you see is what you get. Forget when someone asked about a glass of water! Also our room was freezing, so we asked about it but she didn't offer any solution.
The room was pretty clean, the location was good, but I'm not sure I'd recommend Hotel Tides because of the smoking, the attitude of the female clerk and the size of the room. If those things aren't as issue, the location was close to the beach and all of Asbury is pretty walkable.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
New York, NY
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This was the perfect place to stay on a recent 2-night trip to Asbury Park. The rooms are absolutely fine if you just need them for some sleep and a shower but there's not much character beyond that. Wonderful staff and I hear the restaurant is great (we'll have to try it next time) plus it's walking distance to the beach and all the cool spots in Asbury Park. I'll be staying here again on my next visit!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Bungalow Hotel
Bungalow Hotel
#2 of 4 in Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch

Been to Hotel Tides? Share your experiences!