“Last minute trip”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Asbury Park
New York City, New York
“Last minute trip”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Booked last minute on Saturday morning, threw bags in the car, kids in the car seat and off we were to the shore. The location of this property can't be beat, its right across from the board walk, so when traveling with two young children ability to go across the street is just priceless to me.

As its been mentioned before this hotel hosts gay club or at least it popular with gay man and there are a lot of gay people that stay in this hotel. I totally don't care about that part but I am sure that some people do. Perhaps the only uncomfortable moment we had was when my girlfriend took all of out 4 kids to the pool and some guys were (well getting personal with each other) but as soon as she walked in they broke it up and it was fine. If you open minded its really not an issue and our kids really don't question anything as they are well exposed by living in NYC.

My room faced the ocean and we were on 3rd floor, while kids passed out cold from being on the beach all day, the music from the night club was pretty loud even though we closed balcony door. My friends stayed on 4th floor and faced the street, it was still loud but bit better then mine. The rooms are very basic, seemed fairly clean to me.

Hotel served continental breakfast in the morning and they let us do late check out which was nice.

My only issue is the parking lot, it small. My husband and I had an event to attend to and we returned after midnight, lot was full and we ended up parking on the street which was not easy job because of all the clubs in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank pupsik

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
NJ
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stayed at The Empress so we could be with friends who were visiting from out of state and also staying there. The staff was incredibly friendly and everyone we encountered was great. They were accommodating about letting us leave our car in the lot during the day while we walked around even though we had checked out. The location was also excellent, super close (walking distance) to Cookman and all the shops & restaurants, basically on the boardwalk, not far from Convention Hall, and directly across from the beach. That being said, for the price, the room was dated and there was a pinkish make-up stain (lipstick or blush?) on the sheets of one of the beds. We didn't bother to say anything since we did have two beds and we were only staying one night, I'm sure they would have taken care of it if we'd said something. I know our friends had an issue the second night they stayed with the club being super loud after they'd worked all day too. Overall, an okay place to stay for a short time with very nice staff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa R
empres101, Manager at Empress Hotel, responded to this review, 19 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review as it is very much appreciated. We take great pride in our customer service and strive for excellence in all categories. If you get the chance we would love to have you come back and stay with us again. I also wanted to let you know we are in the process of renovating the rooms and hope to be better then ever for your next stay!
East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I just wanted to give a review on my recent stay at the Empress Hotel in Asbury:)
I cannot say enough about the customer service, the staff was so tentative and helpful, kind and considerate and friendly!
My boyfriend, myself and my 15 year old son went for a quick early getaway(yes I am a straight woman with a male boyfriend and a male son) I also brought along my two small dogs.
Our room was clean, comfortable and not as cramped as one would expect with all of us.
From the moment we arrived, the front desk was friendly, and attentive to anything we needed before we went into the room.
The staff also asked while we were out site seeing into Point Pleasant, that if we wanted to put our dogs in a room on the floor below us because they were afraid they would be upset due some maintenance on the floor we were on. It wasn't even about the dogs barking and interrupting other guests, we were on the floor basically with just a few other rooms occupied! I thought that was so sweet and courteous to our pets!!
Kristin Johnson the Hotel Manager was so wonderful along with morning shift staff, and evening work shift staff.
I couldn't of asked for a more pleasant hotel to stay at, My son and I even had a game of pool in the restaurant down stairs where the food is good and the bartenders/servers were also friendly.
I will and did refer this hotel to all my employees in my office, and of course I also will be going back in the heat of the Summer!! The pool and outside pool area look awesome as well!!!
Asbury and the Empress for a stay should be hand in hand, you will not be disappointed!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your fabulous review. Excellent customer service is definitely one of our top priorities here at The Empress. Our staff is dedicated to making your stay as positive as possible for the whole family (including our furry four legged friends). We hope you come back anytime you are in the area! We are open year round and would love to see you soon!
Wall Township, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 April 2014

f your room looks towards the beach, big deal, 90% do. Of course they also look out over a street and buildings in front of the beach! In the winter, straight people may enjoy this hotel which houses one of the only gay dance clubs at the shore. During the summer from Friday thru Sunday night, The club and most of the clientele are gay men. Nothing wrong with that, and if your gay, it's a plus. The pool area is quite noisy because the crowd gets out there also and the music can be overwhelming. Also, the less I say about the food, I've been in the kitchen, the better off everyone will be. Straight couples do tend to come in on Friday night and can enjoy the night life. Most straight people are women because they can hang out and not be bothered. It's Gay , so if your uptight, don't go on weekends especially in the summer. By the way, drinks are NOT cheep at the 3 inside bars and 2 at pool.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank eccentricbob
Edison, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 March 2014

nice hotel , close to the board walk and beach, nice views of the ocean the rooms are clean and comfortable, didnt go to the paradise night club, a few gay people around , but didnt bother me
(im straight )went with my girlfriend just to relax and get away from the stress of living and working in central jersey, would go back again

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike C
Hello... And thank you for staying with at The Empress! We are so happy you and your girlfriend could come and relax with us. Come back any time, we're open year round and it would be our pleasure have you back. Thanks for the great review! see you soon!
Brick
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Just stayed at the Empress Saturday after going to a concert in Asbury Park. Really great choice, so glad we stayed. Such nice, helpful people working there. Had a room on the 4th floor that was had a great ocean view with a balcony. Very comfortable room. Even had cont. breakfast included the next morning. I would recommend staying on upper floors to avoid noise because there is a night club in the lobby area, but we didn't hear anything. Will be back to the Empress.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank michmlot
empres101, Manager at Empress Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Hello... And thank you so much for the positive feedback. we are so pleased to hear that you had a great stay. Our location is great location for stone pony concerts, and if you come in the summer we have rooms that look at the summer stage. This makes concert viewing very relaxing. Hope to see you again soon!!!
Waterloo, Wisconsin
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We reviewed this hotel online and booked it because of the great reviews that were already out there. However, so much more needed to be said about this hotel.
We stayed here for several nights over July 4th 2013. We had an awesome room overlooking the shore.
The staff were amazing, so accommodating and friendly and went to great lengths to make sure you had everything you needed.
My husband and I went on the boardwalk each morning to grab a cup of coffee and just stroll through the history of Asbury Park.
The Stone Pony was close for a night out to watch a band. The hotel is located in a perfect area to walk to just about everything.
We have already talked about coming back!

Room Tip: Pick a room that faces the boardwalk.