Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Oceanic Inn(Asbury Park)
  • Free Internet
The Asbury Hotel(Asbury Park)
  • Pool
Hotel Tides(Asbury Park)
  • Pool
Empress Hotel(Asbury Park)
Albatross Hotel(Ocean Grove)
  • Free Internet
Ocean Vista Hotel(Ocean Grove)
  • Beachfront
Shawmont Hotel(Ocean Grove)
Crystal Inn(Neptune)
Fernwood Motel(Neptune City)
2,796 results
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Stay away! I have never been so disappointed in a hotel stay. Over an hour to check in then room key didn't work (no ones did and they continued to hand out electronic when they had actual hard keys). After getting up to my room to find out my key wouldn't work waited 15 minutes for the elevator. Only 1 was working the other 2 were down. On the eighth floor there was a leak with water dripping in garbage can outside our room. There were ants all over the bathroom. Next morning woke up early to get the hell out of there and the water pressure was so bad couldn't even shower. The hotel should be ashamed of themselves.

• Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank Lisa M
Cem E, General Manager at Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Hello "Lisa M"! Thank you for your feedback you shared on TripAdvisor. Everything you mentioned on your review has already been in the works of upgrading and improving our hotel. Unfortunately, all these small to medium range improvements happened during your stay along with unpredicted situation of 2 of the elevators not working. I apologize that you had to experience these issues during your stay. I hope that you can reach me directly to make your reservation if you give us another chance. Respectfully, Cem Erenler, General Manager.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Stayed here this past weekend. First of all, it took us over an hour to check in at 5 PM. I understand that there were a lot of events happening at once (Sweet 16, Wedding, and runners were checking in for the NJ Marathon happening today.) Front desk staff were polite and welcoming. Upon entering my room, I could smell smoke both in the hallway and in my room. I was going out anyway so I didn't report it. While in the shower, the water turned off in the middle of my shower. The water pressure was horrible to begin with, but then it just stopped. This happened to my friends in another room down the hall. They said they had to turn the water completely off and then on again for it to work properly. They also had no shampoo and had to call twice to get any. Their room was also very cold and they needed to have someone fix the thermostat. The rooms had the bare minimum- beds, shower, TV, chairs (TV was not HD- it was extremely grainy and difficult to watch). There were no pieces of paper with information regarding activities or restaurants in the area, no pads of paper or pens, no shower caps or little packets with Q-Tips or cotton balls like you usually see in hotels. I slept fine, there were a few instances of noise of people in the hallway but other than that it was quiet. There was a faint smell of smoke when I returned but it wasn't that bad. I was exhausted so I went right to sleep and the bed was comfortable. I woke up around 7 AM to find that the smell of smoke was back, this time I was really upset because it was irritating my throat. I was leaving in an hour anyway, but there was no escaping this horrible smell. Upon checking out, I asked the frotn desk if there were separate smoking/non-smoking rooms or floors, he responded that there is no smoking in the whole building. I said well, my room reeked of smoke and I did not smoke, and the whole hallway on the eighth floor smells like smoke. The building is very old and it looks like it could be very glamorous, but it is kind of chincy and needs a serious upgrading. Oh, and the carpets in the rooms look like zebra print. They need to be updated too. For the amount of money I was spending ($129 per night) I expected a little more.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ev4

Hello "Ev4"! Thank you for sharing your detailed review about your recent stay on TripAdvisor. All the points you expressed are well taken and addressed. Our entire hotel is smoke free. I am sorry that there was a smell of smoke in your room. Out TV is analog and it is also planned to upgrade to HD soon.. We hope to see you with us in the soon future. Yours sincerely, Cem Erenler, General Manager

Reviewed 26 April 2014

For $169 I expect a lot more than a 20 minute wait to check in (way to have one person working the desk when you are probably turning over 75% of your house). Keys don't work. Apparently they have a combo of key cards and hard keys. The desk didn't have the hard key for our room so they gave us electronic keys that didn't work and arranged to have a guy meet us upstairs to let us in. How ghetto is that?! Anyway, room didn't have shampoo so I had to call down for that and more towels. It's a double room and we only got 3 towels?!
They also don't have laundry bags in the closet and the shower doesn't even have a whole door. This is clearly a 2 star hotel in a 4 star location just ripping people off.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank bkmichele

Hello "bkmichele"! Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor. Your comments are well taken. I apologize for not making your stay enjoyable. We had changed and updated our rooms enter systems in order to make it more secure and safe for our guests however, we realize that during that transition of going from hard key entry to key card entry, we inconvenienced our guests and we are very sorry for that along with not having enough amenities in your room which is absolutely unacceptable. I hope that you can reach out to me directly so that I can learn more about your stay and make sure that this never happens again. We hope that you give us a second chance in the soon future. Respectfully, Cem Erenler, General Manager.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I felt that my experience in the Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel was a prelude to hell. It was a complete disaster.

Major renovations to the hotel should not be conducted while guests are in the hotel, when there are no other facilities in operation.

Elevators should be in 100% working order. I was trapped on an elevator for fifteen minutes. I heard orders being given to employees that had no idea what they were being instructed to do to get me out of the elevator. I was scared and frightened which was exasperated by overhearing employees not knowing what to do.

There was no restaurant or room service. Guest should not have to walk around the hotel after parking. I was physically incapable, because of back problems, of walking too far.

Bills should not be padded and guests should not be overcharged for services not used.

I finally gave up and went home two days early because of the extremely outrageous and appalling conditions of the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank William M

Hello "William M"! Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I am sorry that you experienced inconveniences during your stay and we couldn't keep up with the promises we made on this occasion. Our landmark hotel has been going under small to medium range renovation and we understand that this situation created some inconveniences. We had experienced some difficulties with one out of 3 elevators as they are unpredicted difficulties. Our restaurant is open for the season. We are fortunate to have a limited parking area in a highly populated cultural city of Asbury Park. However, we know that the location being in the back side of our hotel might not be ideal and causes a block of walk for our guests. We hope that you can give us a second chance to show you personalized The Berkeley experience. Respectfully, Cem Erenler, General Manager

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Place has a unique look and feel and loved the view of the ocean from my room. Hotel staff was very helpful throughout my stay. My only real complaint was not having breakfast available on the premises, but certainly not a complete deal breaker. I had an overall a positive experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hello "David C"! Thank you for your very thoughtful review following your recent stay with us and for your kind words toward the hotel and our wonderful staff. We are confident that we offer the best choice of hotel stay in Jersey Shore. We didn't have restaurant opened at the time of your stay but now it is open and our restaurant offers essential American food in the restaurant, bar, patio and poolside. We hope to see you soon at The Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel in our historical hotel and culture rich city of Asbury Park, NJ. Respectfully, Cem Erenler, General Manager.