“I would have never thought the attitude of people could have such an impact on my whole stay”

Decameron Los Delfines
Ranked #12 of 43 Hotels in San Andres Island
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Just to be fair to the Hotel, the Hotel was very clean and beautiful, the rooms were good and simple.
The food had a good variety to choose from. But it made me stomach sick and throw up but that might be my european tummy.
Also when you look closer the food was always the same just arranged differently. and the quality was low but in this case : what exactly do you expect from all inclusive?, so it was ok for the price.

But now comes the most upsetting thing ever. The staff was completely horrible. I have never felt this unwelcome in my entire life. The staff was never smiling and never made an effort to communicate with me even when i tried my bit of spanish. they were very judgmental and i can not believe how much their looks from their eyes were telling about how much they dislike me and my boyfriend.
one woman from the service was very dependent on the mood, one day she was smiling and the next one everything could go to hell from her side.

the food was served to us like we were some criminals. without looking us in the eyes.

the woman in the check-in talked in such an unpleasant and bored way that i wanted to walk out again right after arrival.
Also it is not true as they say that you can use all restaurants and activities in other decameron hotels, we tried and they didn't let us.
Also every favor or question we had was taken in such a way that we didn´t dare to ask any more.
I know I am not giving a lot of objective reasons and facts but I can not. I really can not figure out until today what exactly happened.

it was a mood in that hotel that was so indescribable unhappy.
also there are two clubs next to the hotel and 2 nights we could not sleep cause it was simply too loud.
in general the people in san andres have the worst attitude i have ever experienced, it seems like they hate tourists but yet they are dependent on them. I can understand them of course but it still gives you a horrible feeling, so I was not sad to leave this place.

the most beautiful island ever was ruined by the ugly people living there.

Choose a different destination or a different hotel at least, this one keeps no joy for you.

Room Tip: rooms to the water are quieter the ones at the entrance are not that great because people pass all t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Melanie O

Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

I just dont understand what kind of hotels you people usually go. I've read all of these positive comments and was very very disappointed when I arrived at San Andres. This is not a Boutique hotel. Its just an ordinary hotel, with bad rooms, where u cannot even open your window, 'cause everybody can see u from the pool. All inclusive, but bad quality drinks and regular food. If u are ungry at 6pm,forget it. U have to wait untill dinner time. Wifi could be free, at least . But it is not. You should go to San Andres and enjoy the trips to dive. Very important to know that, if u are familiar with some other caribbean beaches: its impossible to stay at the beaches around the hotels. They are crowded of people and dogs.

Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank TatianaKZ
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I stayed there with my boyfriend for 7 days. The hotel is not very romantic, nor fancy at all, but is great if you just want to relax and get a taste of a real Caribbean island! We arrived at 5:00 pm to the island. Be aware and prepared to your arrival that the airport is very basic and old fashioned. Just getting out of there was a nightmare. Then the "transfer" to our hotel was an old car. We were 4 adults on the car (plus the driver), with no air conditioner and a temperature of 30°C. By saying this, I'm not complaining at all, I'm just telling you what to expect when you arrive to San Andrés. This isn't Cancun, Aruba, not even Punta Cana. So be prepared.

We arrived to the hotel and had to wait something like 15 minutes to our check in (there were 2 couples getting checked in before us). The receptionist was fast (for the island standard) and nice. She took the time to explain all the schedules, the near sights, tours and overall system of the hotel. Another thing to keep in mind: do not loose your wristband, your pool towels, the key to your room or to the safe, etc. They will charge you the biggest amounts for loosing them! Also, keep in mind that if you want to use the safe, they'll charge you a fee per day of use.

Ok, so next thing, we were given a room on the first floor, just on the side of the bar... We thought, "great, just what we needed, lot of noise and partying in the night". Well, we couldn't have been more wrong. If we kept the window closed (and believe me, you'll want to close your window and enjoy the air conditioner), the noise was acceptable. The tourist at the bar were considered and quiet most of the time. The room is small, just a bed, a small closet, a desk with an old tv and the bathroom (wich is small also. Inside the propper bathroom you have the shower and WC, outside and in a corner of the room, is the washbasin with toiletries). The walls are thin, that's true, but we almost didn't hear noises from the other rooms. The only bad thing is the lack of space to storage our luggage properly (the small closet isn't enough). The air conditioning was great: modern, silent and cooling.

The hotel itself is small. Very small. It has one pool, just a few loungers, the small bar and the restaurant where all foods are served. If you aren't a picky traveler, this will be more than enough. Because there are few rooms, the pool and the common spaces were almost quiet... almost, except when tourist from other Decameron resorts used the facilities of "Los Delfines". Those tourist were mostly rude, loudy and drunk. So, thank god we chose to stay at "Los Delfines", it was worth the extra money!! Despite the fact that they have just a few loungers, we didn't have trouble finding space during the day (most people leave the hotel in the day for excursions).

Now the food. This was the best part of staying in this hotel. The food is amazing!! Breakfast is buffet, not a huge variety, but a good amount of fruits, breads, milk & yogurt, juices. They also have a small breakfast menu, so you can order eggs, pancakes, etc. For the lunch and dinner each day you get a different menu. After 3 days, the menu will repeat. We tried almost every plate on the menu (except for the salads... I still can't eat raw vegetables when I'm travelling to the Caribbean) and all the dishes were amazing. They have plenty of choices (I'm putting some pictures with my review too). The staff is great, they always smile and get you what you want. It's good to be polite with them, show some interest for their lives or for the island. They can be slow, but you are on an island in the middle of the ocean. The whole city moves with a different peace. One night we decided to go to Decameron Aquarium to eat. Big mistake! The food there has no comparison with "Los Delfines".

Overall, I'd give this hotel 5 stars. The only problem we had was: we chose "Los Delfines" because we didn't wanna have kids around our vacations. We were told that the hotel was for adults only, but the fact is that there was a family with 2 small kids and those kids managed to make more noise than all the other guest!! I woke up early 3 days just because of those children! Also, they constantly let in families of other Decameron hotels, so there were children on the pool, and at the restaurant.

The hotel doesn't have a beach of its own, but you can go to the public beach which is near the hotel (it's just 2 minute walking) or you can go to Rocky Cay, the private beach club of the chain. It's not near the hotel, you'll need a cab to get there. But you can ask help at the reception. Also, it's important to book the day before or that same morning the lunch for Rocky Cay (they have a simple buffet restaurant there). The beach is amazing and the water is quiet and warm. It's worth the taxi ride. The club closes at 5 pm, so be sure to get there early. Also, the loungers are all taken before noon.

By the way, I traveled on June and the weather was nice. We had just a couple minutes of rain. At the next moment we had sun again! The locals explained to us that the showers are more common during the night. The wind was strong, but that's normal for June. The temperature: hot, hot, hot and very humid every single day! Don't even think about throwing a pair of jeans in your luggage, it is so hot in San Andres that you'll not be able to use them.

If you have any doubt about the hotel or San Andres, just contact me, I'll be more than happy to give you tips.

Room Tip: Try asking for rooms on the second floor!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paula1986
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We went there in October 2012 with our kids. It was raining the first two days but the place was beautiful with amazing blue water. The pool was a little cold but once again it was due to the rain but the kids didn't care at all they spent a lot of time in the pool. We went to the beach next to the hotel and had a great time. Water was beautiful and warm. The food at the hotel was first rate. We loved it. Drinks could be better but we didn't care. Had a wonderful family vacation. Going back again this October.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms have the best view!!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 February 2013

All included travel to San Andres, one of my favorite places in the world! Los Delfines is a very Nice hotel with a beautiful poolside and a cosy wooden restaurant that stretches out over the beach/sea. Spacy and well decorated rooms with big beds and a nice bathroom/shower. I will for sure come back here with my wife (was here in april 2010)

Room Tip: All roms is by poolside but very nice and quiet
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Balsam R
Reviewed 26 November 2012 via mobile

This place is amazing, it's close to Everything so you will save a lot in transportation!! It's perfect for any kind of business, this is the fifth time I have stay here and I LOVE it, the people are so nice I can't even describe it, ignoring you need any kind of special menu they will help you in a second, the food is OMG that's the only word I can think for it! Soooo gooo and have fun this is the perfect hotel!!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 3 March 2012

It s a good place but it's not a Boutique. They do not have anything special that makes them a Boutique. The reception service is definetly bad but the barman is really friendly. Bedrooms are terrible: it's possible to perfect listen everything on the next bedroom. Neighboors doing sex, shouting, chatting, television.... be prepared. Also, the receptionists never help you. You have to find out by yourself how things working in Decameron concerning services and others. Another important information: they charge everything: wireless, safety box, etc, etc, etc....

• Stayed: February 2012