“Feels like home”

Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in San Andres Island
Bogota, Colombia
“Feels like home”
Reviewed 19 October 2012

I stayed with my couple for a week and never felt as confortable as I did in Mar y Sol. The staff/owners are very kind and friendly, it was more like staying with your friends than in a hotel. The rooms are basic but have everything you need to run away from the rutine. Food was excellent and had that taste you can't find in restaurants, it tasted like homemade food. It's a bit far form the city centre, so you might need to rent a car and they offer that service. They also take you to the centre for free (8 am and 7 pm return). Hoye Soplador is just a few minutes walking from the hotel... 100% recommended for couples.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laurapatry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I had a great time at the Island. The hotel was nice and the customer service was incredible. the hotel is perfect for relaxing. Is located at the far south end of the island and for me that was perfect. I recommend this hotel to all travelers. The customer service makes all the difference.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alejandro A
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Luis meet U at the airport with a big smile and tells abt the isl on the way. The hostel looks isolated, but isn´t !. Some good beaches U can walk to, Rutabuss pass by the mainroad freq, or Luis drives u 2 or from the city. If u r to many, he hands you the keys of his other car! We planned to eat 1st dinner at the hostel, others in town. After the 1st dinner we reviewed that! Delicious fresh seafood dinners everyday!Beside that;Marisol or the staff seems to know when you need coffee, When you sit at the pool , reading a good book, they call your name and ask if you like a cup of coffee.(Lilian, u could be my 2nd mom !) Thats what i call paying attention to your guests. we felt like family. The pool freshes up after a daytrip before you again sit down for a good dinner. The showerwater could be warmer( why no solarcells on the roof?) Others the rooms have all u need for a stay like this and cleaning was very well done. We enjoyed every moment and if we have opportunity to go to San A again, we sure stay here .

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rene P
Medellin, Colombia
Reviewed 5 March 2012

It was bound to happen - after 8 years of trusting TripAdvisor, I finally encountered an anomaly. How this hotel has such high ratings here is beyond me.

I am not your typical American looking for a 5-star stay. I am a world traveler that has taken me to very rustic and exotic destinations. However, this was absolutely the worst hotel stay I've had in my 20 years of traveling.

To my fellow travelers who, like me, found this hotel through Groupon, let me inform you of the following.

1. Insects. Yeah - the destination is a tropical island - I get that. But think back to the movie "Creepshow". We checked into our room and it was loaded with bugs. They were climbing up the curtains, underneath the pillows, scurrying around the floor, in the shower, and worst of all, in our bed. I felt like I was in a horror movie. Both my girlfriend and I were bitten several times and barely got any sleep.

The owners, who seem nice enough, moved us to another room. More bugs, just not as many. So, I would highly recommend this hotel to people who like bugs and enjoy sharing rooms with them.

2. The location is NOT near the beach. If you thought it was close, please allow me to readjust your expectations. The house is a minimum 10-minute walk to a rocky beach.

3. There is a fine line between "rustic" and "ugly". There was some junk scattered in the backyard. There are overgrown weeds. The place is beaten and weathered.

4. It's isolated. Fine, you're here to relax. But there is only one driver, the owner, and he only makes a few trips per day at most.

Now, the owners seem to be very nice people. We left the hotel after our night of horror and they did not give us any trouble - even drove us back to the center of the city so we could find another hotel.

To the owners: there is something called "fumigation" - you might want to look into it. We ended up staying in another "rustic" hotel in San Andres, then another in Providencia, and there were no insects in my bed.

Anyone who wants more information can message me.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple