“Best week ever!”

Ranked #8 of 42 Hotels in San Andres Island
montreal
“Best week ever!”
Reviewed 11 April 2013

The rooms are clean, the window adorned with california style shutters which let the air in nice at night. I had a sea view room and let me just say that it is amazing to wake up to that view. It's like paradise! The staff is so sweet and everyone seems to be in a great mood. The buffet is always different, the variety is good. They even have a snack area when the main buffet is not open. I ate at the Italian, Thai & Steak house à la carte restaurants. All three were really good. As for the activities during the day, their are non motorized water sports, but what was the most fun were the excursions. I went on a tour of the island on the first day. Then three islands surrouding, Johnny Cay, Haynes Cay & Acuario where I did some snorkeling:) I saw a bunch of new things and took some beautiful pictures. I also did Chiva Loca party bus. We were 15 people in a bus, lit up with sparkling lights. The music was good and we got to see the city by night and the mega waves south of the island. The sun was very hot and it was humid during the day, so a dip in the pool happened on more than one occasion. Don't trust the weather reports online where it says that it's always cloudy with rain! It said that all week back home and we were having the best sun ever! All in all, it was an amazing week, spent with friends, strangers and the occasional coco fresa. All inclusive is the way to go:)

Room Tip: Rooms near the Barracuda buffet are more quiet and get to see the sun set. Rooms near the pool won...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank babygal_kiwi88

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2013

My husband and I spent a week at this hotel last month and it was absoultely fantastic. Definately the best located hotel on the island, right on the sea. The 2 buffet restaurants serve lovely food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There are 4 a la carte restaurant serving thai, seafood, italian, and steak - I can highly recommend the steak house however all 4 are very good. All in all a really great hotel with great facilities.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsG31189
Onsala, Sweden
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My husband and I spent 1 week at this hotel as we since early know Decamerom Royal resort in Panama and know that this is a great 3 1/2 star resort. so this 4 star realy should be something very extra we thought. What a suprise.... if we rate Decameron to 10 points Decameron Aquarium will only get 1 point sorry. First a very strange welcome, then the first room at the groundfloor backyard facing the street and as we came all the way from sweden we ofcause liked a room facing the see, we asked for a change and got another but still facing the backyard, another change 3 days later we got the watherfront room. We had booked 6 month in advace and are very suprice of the behavior of the staff at the front desk as are the face out to the costumer. We will not recommend this hotel .

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank berikaSweden
Longueuil, Canada
Reviewed 14 March 2013

After spending all my time on my first trip at the Decameron Aquarium on my first trip to San Andres, I got the stay as a client of the hotel. This is an ideal location for anyone who wish to do some snorkling. The fact that there are no beaches at the hotel is not a problem, all the hotel towers are build on the sea shore and connected with wood bridges. Just enter the large natural pool (which is warmer than the pool) and right there you will find many type of tropical fishes. Just snorkle around the towers or the pillars, and you will feel in an aquarium. Got a chance to see many barracudas, lion fishs, needlefish and many more... even a squid!

The restaurant are fine, very simply lunch (snack) and for diner, hit the "A la carte" restaurant! For special dinners, go out to town! At a 5 min walk from the hotel, you can easily find a pizza place and for seafood, try the restaurant Nikko's... Great! Being a client at the hotel, you can access the service of the other 4 decameron hôtels on the island, but for lunch or diners you need a reservation. Since it was the school break, everything was pretty much full and it was the only downside.

The town is at a 10 minutes walk, so great for dinning out and shopping... tax-free island! You will find a lot of big brand clothing or accessories... felt like the airport.

For activities, Johnny Cay/Acurio and Rocky Cay are a must! Avoid the Gourmet Shop restaurant for seafood on thursday... you get a better experience and food at nikko's restaurant.

I will return again for sure! I have been in Cuba (many times), Dominican Republic (2 times) and Mexico... this is my place. No wonder some people return every year and some for a 6-week vacation.

Room Tip: With the towers being build on the sea shore, try to get a room facing the sea... the view is fantas...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Syl20Lat
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2013

i had never traveled in my life .. not this far anyways .. So this was not only my fiorst vacation but my first plane ride!!! i felt like a little girl in a candy store! This trip was about discovering new this .. and realizing about the beauty of a whole different world! It started when the plane was landing .. i new i was in paradise!!! Just the color of the water!!AMAZING!! it brought tears to my eyes..

as soon as we got to the airport.. the hospitality of these people .. was incredible.. smiling and polite as ever .. very professional. once my friends and i came out ofthe airport.. for myself .. it was like a dream!! and from then on the week was fabulous.. my room was very comfortable , clean.. view of the ocean..sunshine every morning.. breakfast ..always had fresh fruit and that was yummy!!

we chose some excursions .. travel the island on the chivas bus.. that was very enjoyable!! little mike was the guide..very enjoyable.. we also chose the safari tour.. that was hosted by boule de neige.. another great excursion.. we learned about the lagoon and the their botanical garden .. .on this wonderful journey .. we had the honor to meet Paul!.. paul is a very friend knowledgeable man who at your request will take you for a private tour to anywhere you like around the island.. we requested to show us how the people from island lived and so he gave was a tour of the village and where they shop and eat.. Paul does this in the evenings and on his days off.. he has left his information for you if you would like this kind of private tour ..

please call Paul borden pomares ..

he will drive around in his personal car .. which is air conditioned.. the number to reach him is
3167393497 this is his cell phone.. in order to reserve before the area code is 011 57 i believe

So after enjoying all of this .. we had a chance to enjoy the local beach.. we also went o Johnny cay beach.. you take a bus or a taxi and ..spend the day.. our friends went submarine diving.. .. one of the choices of excursions
there is a lot of things to see ..the food is fresh.. and the streets are safe to walk..
i really enjoyed my stay and will be returning!!! hope this is helpful!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Nat2013448
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 27 February 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Decameron from December 31st- January 7th. I must admit that we definetly we're overcharged because of the period we went. I don't recommend you pay more then 1150$/week because you definetly will be desappointed, you'll feel robbed if you pay more then that. If you read anywhere that it is a 4 or 5 stars, let me tell you, IT IS NOT!! I'll call it a 3 stars. First of all, the food goes from bad to ok, but I definetly wouldn't call it good, and that applies to all of their restaurant and every meal of the day. If you enjoy good food, this is not where you'll get it!! If you like good wine, bring a few bottles in you suitcase!! Their wine taste like vinegar and their alcool is probably diluted, because its tasteless. You can always go buy yourself a bottle at the liquor store, but they dont know how to preserve the wine, so it's average. As for the room, I definetly recommend you ask for a room in tower number #16 (with ocean view), which is their newest tower. The rooms are bigger and there is an elevator in the tower, where as in the other towers, the rooms are much smaller and there are no elevator. I can compare both because we were first in tower # 6, and we ask to change rooms after the first night!! First of all, tower #6 is straight in front of the scene where there are live shows every night!!! Also, the room smells like milldew and the only chair we had on our balcon was broken....
On another note, it remains that the Decameroun Aquarium is the best of the other Decameroun on the island. My boyfriend and I rented a golf cart to do an island tour one day, and we visited all the Decameron hotels of the island, and the other ones are worst....So, if you have to choose, take the Aquarium. Also, its location is the best since its a 5min walk from the center.
As for the service, I feel like most of the staff are tired of tourist, so if you speak a little bit of spanish, they might be little more curteous to you, and that applies to the locals as well.
If you feel like eating outside the resort, I recommend ''Miss Celia'' and ''La Regatta'', which are two good restaurants from a walking distance of the hotel towards the marina.
As a person who travels a lot, I like to know the truth about the places I travel to, so I hope this was helpful to you!

Room Tip: Rooms in tower 16 with an ocean view. The rooms are bigger and the tower is the newest one.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Audree C
Costa Rica
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Went on a quick gettaway for the weekend and it turned out to be amazing!
We had done some research on Trip Advisor and found it hard to choose which Decameron to stay at, good thing we ended up picking an excellent spot!

The hotel is just beautiful, very clean rooms, the layout, ocean view, friend staff and excellent service.
We had 3 night package, traveled around the island on golf carts, got a private tour to some of the small islands around San Andres.

To top it off my boyfriend was celebrating his birthday and they helped with special diner reservations in their restaurants.

I completely recomend eating in the "A la carte" restaurants, the selection is excellent and the service is above and beyond. The only thing, go early to make the reservation, they end up being booked quickly for diner.

Could not have asked for a better gettaway!

Room Tip: Block 4 has excellent ocean view!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple