“LOVED San Andres and The Aquarium!”
Review of Decameron Aquarium

Decameron Aquarium
Ranked #8 of 43 Hotels in San Andres Island
Reviewed 2 January 2011

The Aquarium was the best choice for us out of all of the Decameron hotels on the island. I couldn't believe how cheap it was for an all inclusive and to have all of the great amenities! It is right in town so you can easily eat elsewhere if you choose. The food at the Aquarium (and at the other Decamerons) was great and the staff were super fun and friendly. Make sure to get an ocean view room!!

It was so fun renting a golf cart and driving around the island and stopping at all of the hotels. Be sure to stop at the Orange Hill school for kids with special needs to donate school supplies.
*We stayed here in March 2008 and I have been meaning to add this review! What reminded me to do it now is that we just got back from a different hotel and it didn't compare to the Aquarium at all!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sabbysara
There are newer reviews for Decameron Aquarium

Reviewed 16 December 2010

San Andres is the most beautiful Island I have visited. Coffe, food and people are great :)

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2010

The hotel itself is great. Make sure you request a room with ocean views or you will only be disappointed. Pay the extra its worth it.
The property is large and spacious with good options for activities and restaurants. As it is all inclusive it makes it very tempting to have everything in the hotel. Make sure you venture out and try the local restaurants. They are great too.
I wouldn't recommend this resort for solo travellers however. Reason being this is the resort you come to to hang out here. Lots of family and friends. Not alot of single travellers so it's a little hard to mingle.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank sandra1984
Reviewed 3 December 2010

As another review said, I regret some folks seemed to have had a bad experience at this hotel and on this island. You have to consider where you are going and accept that if you travel in a typically rainy season : you're getting wet. Whether it's the rain, or the sea. Just accept it. In any case, you're in a bathing suit all week anyways. And, if you are asking a venue to provide services that is not their specialty - you may be disappointed despite the hotel's best efforts. Just like home : don't order a fancy fish at a burger joint. ;)

I personally found the hotel staff to be very helpful and friendly. While I preferred to transact in Spanish, they did have staff capable of assisting customers in English, and even in French. The cleaning staff was efficient, my room was always well-kept, and the food at the buffet was good - ok, it is a buffet and you won't have your favourite meal every night - but .. but... the hotel is so close to some really awesome restaurants in the village that you can always go eat off-site at the last menu if you decide to do so. You can also make a reservation in one of the resort's specialty restaurants. I particularly enjoyed La Bruja (seafood and fish).

Over tours, associated with the hotel, were also very efficient and helpful in organizing day trips and visits. I highly recommend the semi-submarine, Evening cruise on Morgan's "Volero", a trip to Johnny Cay & Acuario is also a must. Next time, I'll go to Providencia and Cayo Bolivar which I could not do this time because of the weather - just one of those things, again, that you have to keep in mind when you travel in iffy seasons: maybe you can do everything you want, or maybe you can't. I can't complain : every day we had some cloud, some rain, and some sun and totally enjoyed the hotel, the public beach, the tours I hoped on, and walking through the streets of the village - it really is a few minutes walk away from the Aquarium.

As a solo traveler, I felt very comfortable here. both at the hotel and on the island. Of course, you do have to be logical and follow some basic safety precautions : but wouldn't you do that at home anyways? (well, I do.)

Apart from the hotel : I also enjoyed the restaurant at Casablanca hotel on the Via peatonal, and Niko's seafood restaurant. Niko's has a coconut breaded fish that is to die for and tartar sauce that is actually edible.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank mtl_luna
Reviewed 14 November 2010

..i feel sorry for the guests who had bad experiences at this hotel. but my own stay was very pleasant, starting with the location of my room to the last drop of alcohol before my departure back to nyc.
the hotel is not a 5 stars hotel, but for the value of the stay i think it is more than worth it.
at my arrival earlier before check in time 3pm..front desk lady says to me wait till 3 pm and we will have your room ready. at 3 pm showed up in front of a crowd of al least 60 people. i said there is goes the best rooms. so prepare to fight for a prime room there i was in from of that lady. she hands me the keys and as i say the first words. sorry, but i would like a room with...... she says NO WORRIES here is your key. shocked she didnt let me finish my introduction to my well prepared argument , i headed out to check my room. i have to say this room WAS JUST MAGICAL !!! ocean view 3rd floor nothing in front of it but just clean clear ocean water. from there on everything was just more than i asked for. my fiance was as surprised as i was we both had an amazing time.
taxi drivers always will rip you off even here in new york. so yes i was ripped off twice. nothing to do with the hotel though. avoid taking taxis if you can.
japanese food avoid it. it is chinese with bad sushi. the chinese side of it was good though !!!
locals told me just afew days before our arrival. the island was suffering with bad days of rain. 2 weeks straight. during my stay 5 days) only 15 minutes of rain. humidity ZERO due to some lovely breeze (wind) that kept the island warm but enjoyable. 85 degrees sunnydays 0 humidity. beautiful !!!
would i go back?? i dont know since there are so many place i would love to visit. but of course i would recomend it to anybody.
a bad experience is not the hotels fault, it is the employee's fault. but i dont let that ruin my vacations.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SANDSOL
Reviewed 12 October 2010

the place is nice the only problem was the tail end of the hurricane in mexico. there was no internet or tv signal so we looked at the ocean alot. no outdoor activities because of weather.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2010

I had booked a all -inclusive stay at this hotel for 4 nights but as a result of the airplane crash, my trip was cancelled. When I tried to call to see when I could actually go, the service was horrible. A lady, named Diana, that answered the phone was mean and rude. They never once cared about our trip even though we had already paid for our vacation plans.
I had good experiences before but with this one, I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010