“Excellent quiet vacation”
Review of Decameron Marazul

Decameron Marazul
Ranked #14 of 43 Hotels in San Andres Island
Reviewed 15 January 2012

We have been to this hotel on 3 seperate occasions and never have any complaints the staff are amazing , the food is good , the rooms are older but very clean and the island infront is amazing for snorkeling , San Andreas and their people are amazing !

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank mindy3343
Write a ReviewReviews (1,298)

Reviewed 11 January 2012

I want to start by saying that this is our 4th time to Decameron Mar Azul... which I think says a lot!
Because of this, I knew that their beach/sea here are not the best and hence I have to agree with a few other reviewers, that is its only minus point. The sand is ok if you just want to sandbake but for the sea, it is better to go to San Luis or, to our fav place: LA PISCINITA.
Apart from that I must say it is simply EXCELLENT!

On our last visit, just before Xmas, we had Decameron Marazul to organize our wedding, for 45 or so guests (children, teenagers and adults), from Colombia, Australia, England, South Africa and The States, amongst other nationalities..
I want to thank once again Oscar Pardo and Jhon and everyone else from their team (Maria from reception and Raymond the luggage guy for example). Seriously, they went out of their way to help us with EVERTHING we needed. I have been to some friends' weddings in different parts of the world, friends who got Hotels to to all the planning for them and believe me when I say that I had never seen a team so flexible, so giving, so profesional, so kind, honest and respectful as them. Organizing video beams 30 mins before the wedding for a last minute surprise, change thier menu as per our preferences, suggesting dancing shows for the event, booking restaurants for the guests... and the examples go on and on.
We had guests arriving 1,2,3,4 and 5 days before the wedding and they were absolutely GREAT at helping them and welcoming them.

Yes the rooms are a bit cold... but it is for a reason: to keep island insects out of the rooms. You can just turn it off if you wish.

All our guests raved about the food. The variety of the buffets is SO wide that it was difficult for us to talk our guests into joining us to the restaurants (booking required). The food is FRESH and of the highest quality.

There are plenty of activities for you to do during the day, most of it for free. In the evening, there is always first a show for children and then, there is another that might be more in the adult side of things. Very good shows, I must say!

REally nice people always ready to help... that is all you need when on holiday!

PS/ Special thanks goes to Mirley Miranda from Decameron Cartagena who did all the bookings of our rooms for our guests. She was extremely nice! She even called our hotel's manager to check on us and on the wedding quite a few times!! I have never met her either but we will always be very greatful to her!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank claudiammp
Reviewed 1 January 2012

I just came back from a trip in San Andrès with my wife and kids (3 and 6 yrs old). Where to start. Oh yes! There is no beach. I would have need a sledge hammer to be able to do a sand castle with my sons. Fortunatly the pool was nice but I had to be 10 meters away If I wanted to enjoy a Pina Colada as drinks were not allowed near the pool. The rooms were clean. The food was good but not more than that. We were there for X-mas and expect to have a x-as show but instead we had to assist to Mr Decameron contest were girls were exploding ballon on mens genitals and the people in charge of animation were simulating copulation with a volley ball. Merry x-mas Kids !!! The worst was the service in the restaurant, eating at the buffet for breakfast and lunch I dont think I came back one time at my seat and my plates were taken away. Instead I had 4 bossboy talking near my place and doing nothing about service. We were kicked out of one of the restaurant one night because the 20h30 service was starting in 45 minutes and had to wait another time 15 minutes untill they came with milk for the coffee. The people from San Andrès are great, I just think they lack some formation in customer services and tourism. What they call Island way of life is just a sad excuse for being lazy. They should wake up fast otherwise they'll find out too late that tourism is a rough business.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank BobQuebecCity_Canada
Reviewed 22 November 2011

If been to many of the hotels in the Island and to tell you the truth, this one is one of my favorite ones. If you're a firts time traveler, don't choose any other ones, though there are some other good options. What makes this one a great choise:

1- Location: it's close enough to the downtown area and airport, in case you need to go out or if you get tired of being at the hotel.
2- Setting: perhaps only beaten by the San Luis Decameron (because they have a beautiful coral reef 150 yards in from of the beach), but here you can do almost any non-motor water sport having only a couple feet of water for over 300-400 yards cristal blue waters. I tried cayaking and wind surfing (at the hotel) and didn't have time to sail or kite surf, aslo available. Also nice beaches and pools.
3. Friendly Staff... yes, very good. Specially the cocktail area bartenders
4. Small enough or not too big... compared to the other ones. Though it was fully packed when I was there, you never seemed to have lots of people around; it was never cramped...

I also like the Aquarium and the San Luis options, but I guess I'm sticking to this one for a while.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank ColombiaJuanSe
Reviewed 20 November 2011

My wife & I spent a nice relaxing week last March. The room was spacious and clean, although a little on the "cold" side with an A/C control that didn't seem to work. The grounds are very nice and well kept. The beach is small and not too attractive, but a boat takes you to a nearby key where there's great snorkelling and a better, although more crowded beach.

The food was great with a wide variety, and we found the staff to be very polite & accomodating. There are a number of tours and activities available for an extra cost.

San Andres Island is very beautiful...the colours of the water are just amazing! The people are very warm and we felt safe wherever we went.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Winston22_11
Reviewed 6 November 2011

I have decided to take lightly the negative comments left by visitors to hotels on websites, because it seems that only those with a chip on their shoulder that want to complain take the time to write a review. This hotel was marvellous, the rooms are clean, air conditioned, have tvs, phones and balconies, most of which overlook the ocean (but you at least get a view of palm trees, the well-maintained gardens and the nice pool, where you can swim even at night because they light it up).
The food was EXCELLENT, with a very extensive lunch and dinner buffet that changes daily, drinks (fresh and delicious fruit juices, coffee, wine or cocktail) are brought to your table at their open terrace-type restaurant, from which you can see the water. I recommend making a reservation at one of their seafood or meat specialty restaurants, but you have to wake up early to get a spot! Fun daily activities are lead by charming energetic staff (including water sports, dancing, boat ride out to Haynes Cay island for snorkelling- a must and only 10 mins away), nightly shows.. Their dock walks you out to a rancho-style 24hr bar where you can listen to live Caribbean music on most nights and sip your drinks among the mangroves.
Service was friendly and helpful, a special thumbs-up to Carlos at the Rancho bar.
Apart from that, the internet was not working but you wouldn't want to use it anyway since it costs $6/hour. It's better to go into town anyway to explore, and there you can find many internet cafes that charge much less or nothing at all.
We did an all inclusive stay for 4 days but will be going back for longer next time!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank Liv K
Reviewed 22 September 2011

This is not the most elegant resort, but if you are looking to have a good time and enjoy this is the right place to be. The people is great even though they need a little bit of more customer service, but the overall experience was great. The food was really good, and the dinners were awesome (make reservations in advance).
Do not go to any type of timeshare presentation unless you really want to buy something because they "gifts" that they will give you are not good at all.
The night shows are fun specially the Saturday night one do not miss it!! The drinks unlimited in any DeCameron in the area is a great deal, so just travel around the hotels using the pool and having cocktails. The liquor is not bad at all, but it is no cheap as other reviews say. It is local liquor that is why you will not see any international brands, and just enjoy it.
The best tour that we did was with the guys that rent the kayaks, catamarans etc at the hotel. We rent the catamaran and he took us to the island in front of the hotel. OMG we snorkel, and we saw rays, colorful fishes, and corals. One of my best experiences ever. If you like to snorkel i really recommend doing that. The tours and the people in general are very friendly, so we never had any issue at all.
I will go back for sure, and I may try another of the DeCameron hotels.

Room Tip: request a room in front of the pool