“Best hostel ever!”

La Brisa Loca Hostel
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Staff is amazing, all really kind and willing to help us with anything (they called several times to our taxi driver and also ordered medicine from the drugstore when we needed).
The atmosphere is pretty good as well as the hostel has a lot of places to hang in with a very very nice terrace.
Everything is organized and they have a very simple system for things (eg: you don't need to pay for towels or make a deposit). Also, common areas and bathroom are constantly cleaned.
The price of food and drinks is fair and they always have some sort of promotion like 2x1, extra rum shots, etc.
Lockers in the bedrooms are electronic pascode and are not exactly of friendly usage, so they are all locked likely because people used it wrong (me included =) ).
If you really care about internet connection, it is not very good everywhere in the hostel and it is not very stable. But, you won't really need it with such nice people around!
I'd definitely go back there!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for La Brisa Loca Hostel

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Nice hostel in good location. Great bar and rooftop area. But it is very hot so make sure you get an airconditioned room as it was the the two worst nights sleep I have had.
Everything is clean and the mexican restaurant attached is good.

Room Tip: choose aircon
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed here hoping for a down to earth place. This was really bad version of animal house. Really drunk guys trying to feel me up - I did not feel safe at all. Outsiders were coming and going all night. The parties end at 5 am, good luck sleeping at all before then. My advice is go somewhere else. This place is one of the worst hostels I have ever been to.

• Stayed: May 2014
edore, Owner at La Brisa Loca Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you for your review. I apologize that we didn't meet your expectations. On Saturday we celebrated our 5 year anniversary, for which we did throw a large party celebrating with friends, family and our guests at the hostel. Nights such as these are uncommon and I apologize if our reception failed to tell you about the party upon check-in. We had 3 security guards on staff who ensured that every non-guest who entered the hostel left an ID with reception and was directed to the roof, where the party took place. Our security guards are always available if you care to report inappropriate behavior.

We hope you make it back to visit us on a day in the future when business runs as usual.

Evan

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Definitely one of the best hostel I have been

Very good atmosphere, people were nice and interacting a lot with others,

The hostel organize games for the guests what makes even easier to get to know people,

Facilities were very clean and they had the perfect bathroom system for a hostel,

Rooms were big and confortable,

Drinks were not expansive,

JUST take care if you are drunk and decide to go to the beach at 3 am, I got robbed!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Everything a great hostel should be - great location, nice communal areas including a pool and roof top terrace with hammocks, great bar with nice food options and clean room with aircon.

It was a little disorganised though - there seems to be loads of people working/volunteering there but all doing a halfhearted job of it - reception always felt chaotic, the bar staff were a bit slow and forgot to put an order through to the kitchen and when we went to check out they had no record of the food and drink we'd had!

A couple of cons - wifi didn't work in our room and one night when we just wanted to get some sleep as we'd been camping in Tayrona for the previous two days, they played very loud music til midnight.

Overall though would recommend!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We checked in and checked right back out since the wifi didn't reach our room. We were disappointed since it looked like a great place to stay. Wifi worked great in the common areas while we waited for our room to be cleaned. I can't comment about anything else.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I stayed at the Brisa Loca as my first stop on my north Colombia tour and I couldn't have picked a better place to start. The hostal is wonderfully located right in the heart of the city center, close to the parque de los novios and close to the sea side. It's the small things though, that really make you feel welcome as a traveller at the Brisa Loca. Every new guests gets a free welcome beer at the bar (which is open all day and half the night). Especially for solo travellers the bar is a great plalce to meet new people and share experiences. Also you can order extremely delicious breakfast and lunch during the day and dinner for the night due to the cooperation with the Mexican restaurant next door. Did I mention you get free coffee?
Also the showers and bathrooms were always really clean and a pleasure to use (especially after hiking back out of Tayrona Park). The pool finally is the cherry on the cake although I only used it once or twice.
Last but not least, what really set this hostel apart for me were the lovely and extremely helpful people who run it. Lola is from Santa Marta and has always nice recommendations for going out or getting a bite to eat. The people are really interested in you having a good time in Colombia and gladly help you figute out where to go next and how to get there. That was defenitly not always the case in hostels in Colombia. I would come back any time!!

Room Tip: I stayed at the dorm on the ground floor. Even though it was a bit noisy at night I slept really wel...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo