“A very pleasant stay - By Caesar P.”

Casa de Isabella - a Kali Hotel
Ranked #1 of 67 Hotels in Santa Marta
Houston, Texas, United States
“A very pleasant stay - By Caesar P.”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Although the neighborhood surrounding Casa De Isabella is not exactly an attractive sight to tourists, the place itself is another story. Once you pass its main gates (closed to the public) you enter into another entire atmosphere accentuated by a mix of colonial architecture and middle- eastern decorations and ambience. The service is courteous and friendly and the staff caters to you every need. The rooms are decorated in a simple but yet exquisite manner and style and the addition of Apple-TV is indeed a nice complement to the room. The breakfast which is included in the stay has a very diverse menu that includes everything from American breakfast to typical delicacies of the region. In contrast to many other establishments, all of the rooms at Casa De Isabella are located in the rear and away from all of the street noise.
Casa de Isabella is centrally located and many attractions are within walking distance including ‘Parque de los Novios’ – Lover’s Park. This is the best place for dinning. The bay and the beach are also nearby although ‘El Rodadero’ (30 min. by bus) would be a better place to go and relax by the beach. Overall, our stay at Casa de Isabella was a very pleasant one.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
brian_sutcliffe, Owner at Casa de Isabella - a Kali Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Thank you for the great review. The location for Casa de Isabella is why we purchased the property back in 2008. We felt it was a perfect mid-point to Rodadero and Tanganga and offer a quicker access to Tayrona. We felt the historic center has by far the best restuarants in the area all within a few minutes walk during the evening. Also the renassiance of el centro continues as it approachs it's 500 year birthday (founded 1525). Really look forward to your return and remember to book direct to get our best rates.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Polish first
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I stayed at this beautiful hotel for 6 nights in July 2013.
Upon arrival and through our stay the service was always polite and personalised this was very innovative and excellent.
Everything was perfect at and within this hotel. Standards are very high and this was evident among the staff.
The location of the hotel is very centralised and in a very quiet secure neighbourhood. It is also very close to some of the best restaurants in Santa Marta. It is also in close proximity for transport to the main attractions of Santa Marta. I would advise travellers to ask the reception for their reccommendations with regard to attractions and transport within Santa Marta.

Overall, I am certain that i will stay at this hotel in the near future.

Room Tip: Go straight to the Hotel Casa de Isabella website and view the rooms and rates. The website is perfe...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
brian_sutcliffe, Owner at Casa de Isabella - a Kali Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Thank you for this wonderful review and also mentioning about direct booking. We are trying to encourage all our guests to book directly so please email hotel with any questions about direct booking or discounts.
Canada
Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

I loved my room. The location in Santa Marta was good but just be aware that there is no nice beach in Santa Marta. The staff were great, spoke English and seemed attentative. The breakfast was ok with a few options. The pool is very small (not much of a pool) but ok for a dip. I really, really liked the room!

My only complaint was that I booked a night after my Taryona trip and when I arrived at the hotel (tired, needing a shower, and a dip in the pool which I was quite looking forward to), they gave away my reservation! Even after promising me the exact room and even though my luggage was all stored there. I was very dissapointed as it took almost an hour to sort it all out but they did help me move to their other hotel, brought my bags for me, offered me a complimentary drink and made sure I was satisfied. Just make sure you pay for a room before if you want them to hold your reservation (even if they don't ask you to).

• Stayed July 2013
brian_sutcliffe, Owner at Casa de Isabella - a Kali Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Thank you for this great review! I am investigating the room change issue. Since we are a small hotel occupancy has huge impacts on us being proofitable or not. When we have a staggered stay we need to view it as 2 separate reservations as we have difficulty selling one night in a vacant room. However if we can move the reutnr night to another room we can then oganize a stay for another guest logistically. However if a guest requests a specific room we ALWAYS respect this request if it is already reserved. Thus protocol was not followed and I will investigate today. I apologise for this and am happy we met you expectations otherwise and we need to correct the room change issue. Thanks!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This hotel is a gem. Fantastic warm and sincere staff who spoke very good english. Owner is american but the staff are all local.

The rooms are spacious and have pieces of art that add that homely touch. High quality bed linen and towels. High ceilings are luxurious. They are technologically ahead of many western hotels with free wifi and free apple TV. Many movies to watch and music to listen to.

Breakfast is prepared to order so comes out fresh.

The first night we stayed in their original hotel which has a swimming pool and is slightly closer to the waterfront. When we returned from tayrona park, we stayed in their newer hotel which had an even larger room and a public roman style bath/hot tub. There was also a terrace where we had breakfast that looks out onto the cathedral.

The ground floor rooms can get a little noisy early in the morning as people leave the hotel but are slightly cheaper than the upper floors.

Both hotels are very close to some quality restaurants, though the actual streets they are situated on, look slightly sketchy. We did not have any troubles and felt safe during our stay in Santa Marta.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
brian_sutcliffe, Owner at Casa de Isabella - a Kali Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Thank you for this wonderful review and enjoying both Casa de Isabella and Casa de leda! Each hotel is a project of passion with different designs. We then interchange staff and try to replicate the same service level at Casa de Leda and Villa Maria as we have done with Casa de Isabella. We spend so much time trying to get all the details down and when we see a great review like this is makes us feel like we are getting better and going in the right direction.
Medellin, Colombia
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We were originally going to stay here for 4 nights. The hotel is beautiful we ended up booking a suite which was wonderful! Very large room with a private balcony and plunge pool. Breakfast is included with options like eggs and pancakes as well as some traditional Colombian dishes. The service at the hotel was very good and everyone was very friendly. We ended up cutting our trip short in Santa Marta and only ended up staying here for 2 nights vs. the four. However this was a wonderful hotel and we enjoyed our relaxing patio!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and sorry you had to leave early. I am however glad to see your time with us was enjoyable.
Toronto
Reviewed 23 July 2013

And as I sat in the pool by myself one evening I thought "I could live here".
Wonderful staff and service.
There's a reason why this place is high on the TripAdvisor list. Don't miss it.
Was there on business and when I return I will stay here again.

Room Tip: A lot of the pictures are from one room that has access to the roof top pool. A romantic kind of thi...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Your review is from my heart:) Before we opened Casa de Isabella I too sat by the beach and thought "I could live here". Thus began the journey of creating Kali Hotels with Casa de Isabella, Casa de Leda and Villa Maria. It is a dream come true but only when we get the job done right. We really try hard as it is our passion and we personally want to be perfect as anyone would with their personal dream.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

For the price of this hotel we weren't expecting much but wow we were so pleasantly surprised!!!!!

Although we only stayed for one night we really thought this hotel was top class with a beautiful boutique feel to it!

Rooms are gorgeous, modern and clean..staff really friendly with great English and the location is great!

Absolutely recommend this to anyone traveling to Santa Marta... fantastic value for money!

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for this great review and I am so proud we were able to meet your expectations. I know we can miss items from time to time but when we see we have done a good job it really makes us proud!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Marta
Zuana Beach Resort
Zuana Beach Resort
#8 of 67 in Santa Marta
Villa Maria Tayrona - a Kali Hotel
Villa Maria Tayrona - a Kali Hot...
#1 of 3 in Tayrona National Park
Hotel Boutique Don Pepe
Hotel Boutique Don Pepe
#5 of 67 in Santa Marta

Been to Casa de Isabella - a Kali Hotel? Share your experiences!