“Best time ever...!”

Ranked #10 of 67 Hotels in Santa Marta
Houston, Texas
“Best time ever...!”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I been there a few times and I can tell that is the most relaxing place in Colombia. There is always someone with a smile willing to help you and make your time even better. The rooms are excelent and well equipped. You can ask for an apartament in one of the three buildings to enjoy together with your family. I strongly recomend this awesome resort.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank CTD170

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 28 October 2013

This place is really nice, great pool, by the beach; close to Rodadero where you can find restaurants and shops. You can also drive to the city of Santa Marta and visit "La Quinta de San Pedro Alejandrino" where Simon Bolivar died, then go to clear water beaches such as Taganga, Nenguaje, Playa Blanca and of course Toyrona Natural Park. Ask the hotel to find you transportation directly from there. Lots to do nearby but if you just want to stay at the hotel and relax this is the perfect place for that too. Great food, great view and atmosphere.

Room Tip: Rooms with view to the beach are great
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Katy, Texas
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Great resort, excellent for coming with senior citizens and small childrens. They have great gardens with small natural fauna including squirrels, lizards, crabs, all kind of birds. They have a great resort style pool and my 8 and 5 year old loved the waterslides, the different playgrounds that hey have all secluded around the resort in different nicely batiral shaded areas for the tropic weather. My inlaws hat are senior citizens enjoyed taking a swim in the ocean early in the morning and i got a great massage in he beach. We went one night to one of the well organized party events hey do every night and have a blast. They always have a doctor in house...in my mind this is the best hotel in colombia and i know pleny of hotels there.

Room Tip: I've chosen a bungalow in the beach. He only bad was the mosquitos so bring plenty of mosquito r...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Jaricaor
New York, United States
Reviewed 24 August 2013

This has been one of my favorite vacation experiences in Colombia. I booked at Irotama mostly based on tripadvisors reviews and I am glad I did. I went with my mother and father and we stayed in a Villa, which is practically a two bedroom apt. with each its own entrance, bathroom and two queen size beds. Each room perfectly fit four people so the rooms felt spacious enough for only one person. Overall I was satisfied with the rooms, I was not expecting luxury but a typical carribean hotel room and that is exactly what we got with a modern tv, controlled ac, and normal bathroom. The actual resort in itself is huge, I would have loved to stay in a bungalow because it is the closest to the beach but they were all booked when we went. Also the apts were too big for just us 3. The villa we stayed in was about 5 minute walk from the restaurant. We included breakfast and the food was decent. I was actually expecting the food to be worse based on most of the tripadvisors reviews, but I was pleasantly suprised to find the food was much better than expected, I guess a lot of people on here are just extremely picky, because I did not find anything wrong with the food. In fact the first day we got there we ate at the seafood restaurant and I must say it was one of the best seafood Ive ever had. I had fried fish with coconut rice, and it was just delicious. We also ate pizza at the Italian restaurant one night and it was also declicious. The beach itself has been one of the best beaches Ive been to. Ive been to Cartagena and stayed in El Caribe, and IVe been to Santa Marta previously and stayed at the all inclusive Decameron, but this beach at this resort has got to be my favorite beach thus far. It was so clean, the sand and the water were very welcoming. The beaches in Santa Marta are not prestine carribean waters but this beach was warm, and inviting because it is a private beach only for hotel goers, which keeps it from becoming polluted. There are prestine beaches in Tayrona park, which can be visted by going on one of the tours. There were a few vendors that walked up and down the beach but with one simple No they walked away, which is not often the case in the public beaches of Cartagena or el Rodadero. The pool is huge and has a slide with a bar that is close by. My only complaint was that the time I went in the pool the water was very warm, but I went in in the late afternoon so it was fine, but I could not imagine going in the pool while there was a blazing sun. Most of the nights we spent away from the hotel, but one night we stayed and watched the typical dances show and it was very entertaining and engaging, everyone in the crowd seemed to have a good time. Overall most of the tourists seemed to be visitors and non native colombians. I myself am Colombia but I live outside of Colombia, there were alot of English speaking people from Europe and USA. I also noticed a lot of children and families. In conclusion, my experience here was such a great one. I completely recommend this resort and the only negative thing I can say is that I wish I had stayed longer to enjoy more of the ammenities of the hotel. Dont expect luxury unless you are staying at one of the suites in the apt. but do expect comfort, good food, a nice beach, a relaxing atmosphere and an accommodating staff. If I go back to Santa Marta I will look no further and for sure stay here again! I am almost in tears because I wish I could go back already!

Room Tip: If you can stay in a Bungalow then do so they are literallty on the beach! The villas are bigger but...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Yulie M
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We stayed at a bungalow, quite comfortably.
The beach was clean and well kept, friendly and caring staff. There are some things to improve. The showers do not have a glass door and become messy quite easily. Also, the fan is old and noisy, they should separate the kids beds from those of the parents and improve the ventilation of their space.
This place is right for nature lovers, you get to walk and see squirrels, iguanas, all sorts of wildlife. The beach is wonderful and almost private.
Another commentator said that the beach was similar to those in Florida, this is not true, the water is warm, inviting and the sand is polished and soft. Vendors carry a card and they do not insist.
A minus are the hotel tours, which are a 2 times more expensive than what you get if you buy the tour directly in town. Cocktails are ridiculously expensive, but breakfast is very good and so is the buffet. You should avoid the Italian restaurant, you will be hungry and will pay for each dish the same price that you could pay for a full buffet. Pool is great, wonderful for kids, they have a small sized gym that has good machines.
Free Wifi that works very well.
While we had excellent food at the buffet, they should invest in an expresso machine and improve their fish.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Eliana A
Montevideo Department, Uruguay
Reviewed 25 July 2013

While Irotama has so many great things, there are a few things you should know before making your purchase. I did an expedia package and guess I just didn't read the fine print. We ended up being put in a "villa" which you should stay away from at all costs. The property is quite expanisve with great beach access (security keeps the peddlers away from you), an amazing pool with rock overhang and waterfall, 3 hotel towers, and small bungalows and villas in the middle of the property. The bungalows are nicer than villas with thatched roofs and resemble small houses (everyone walks by your place to get back and forth so keep those shades closed unless you want your business out and about). The villas resemeber a small Motel 8 room and are about as comfortable/accomodating. Furthermore, you are hidden away in a shaded part of the resort and feel like you are staying in a lepper colony - away from the action. I immediately had to work with the reception folks who were not too keen on changing my rooms until I agreed to just speak with the manager the next day. The reception team the next morning were great and immediately moved me into one of the towers, on the top floor, corner room, with an amazing view. Furthermore, all the tower rooms have balconies with hammocks attached. The experience in this sweet was great. While the service/food is no better than a 3 star resort, the room was clean, comfortable, and had an amazing view. Unfortuantely, in Santa Marta - the beaches are average (think gulf side of Florida, and the hotels are ok, but nothing spectacular. The food was just ok, nothing to write home about. The spa was in a round building in the middle of the resort - it was something I would expect from a Motel 8 - if they offered spa service. I would compare the overall experience as that of going to Ft. Myers, FL in a mom/pop hotel - don't expect to stay at an American or European chain hotel will all the luxuries - they don't exist.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple