“Great beach resort for relaxation”
Review of Irotama Resort

Irotama Resort
Ranked #15 of 72 Hotels in Santa Marta
Reviewed 1 August 2014

This is the second time I have stayed here. Its peaceful and well managed for a big resort. Its right on the beach, has 3 pools and a rooftop spa, all of which are excellent. Several restaurants offer a good variety of food. The service is friendly and very helpful. Definitely going back again.

Room Tip: We chose the beach front Bohios, which are the best option for the price. The hotel rooms in the tow...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Martin R

A TripAdvisor Member
Nicosia District, Cyprus
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Found a dinosaur cockroach on the first day.There were extra charges not clearly stated in the beginning.Very good location.We booked for 2 but 6 can easily state(two bed couches).
Service was very amateur(family business).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with trip.ru
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We had a nice time with family friends in a suite with balcony. Over there you will find a swimming pool and a jacuzzi with an incredible view. 3 huge rooms each one with a bathroom. You can ask your food from room service. Try fishes and meat. Don't go for the sandwiches. A lot of pools for the family and 1 km of beaches to walk by. Two blocks far from a small shopping mall where you will find a market store. By the beach, you could take a 5 km long walk or hike. Choose a room like that if you want a different vacation.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mau151
Reviewed 1 June 2014

From the kilometer-long stretch of beach to the high rise motel rooms to the duplex cabanas, Irotama has accommodations to meet every taste and pocketbook.

Pros:
*The white beach sand marks your distance from the coal loading complex nearer Santa Marta, where the hotels sport permanently coal dust-stained black sand.
*The huge waterfall pool with water slide makes for hours of fun after a swim in the warm waters of the Mediterranean.
*Boxed breakfast (at no charge)when we left for the airport before the restaurant opened.
*Horizon all tile pool as big as a football field 1.5 m. deep with head-pounding waterfall and fast water slide that zooms you past one of 3 open air restaurants.

Con-
*No fan or A/C in baths, which are permanently vented by small screens to the hot & humid outside air. Remember to keep your bathroom door closed so your main room stays cool.
*We would have preferred firmer mattresses, although had no trouble sleeping on these.

Room Advice:
Our duplex cabana junior suite numbered in the 80s was a 300-m. walk from reception. If, despite the private guard service, you worry about walking to your room late at night past the public roadway entrance to the beach, ask for a bungalow in the 40s or lower.

Note that superior suites all are numbered above 100 and are located in low-rises past the cabanas. Although I have no reason to believe the grounds are not 100% save, the resort might consider the added benefit of shuttling guests to their rooms in golf carts.

Room Tip: Included in review.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The hotel, after 50 years, is still in great shape. Everybody is engaged in making you happy. I liked very much that all I was promised, I got. For example: I asked to be changed my sheets because I accidentally spilt some water on the bed. They came right away to do it. The food was good, and the pool is SUPERB. My congrats to the hotel staff for looking so well in their 50th anniversary.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Pros:
- Big resort area.
- Nice infrastructure.
- Great pools.
- Beach front.
- Junior suite size was big enough.
- Shuttle service to/from airport.
- Shyttle service to/from Santa Marta Historic Center and El Rodadero twice a day.

Cons:
- Low quality towels and linens.
- Terrible bed which provide an awful sleep quality.
- Very outdated rooms (junior suite in bohíos area). They need refurbishment right now. Furniture is almost falling apart.
- The travel agency inside the hotel which they manage to put inside their resort and which they recommend is terrible. People were really rude to us. How can that be possible? People who work with tourism should know that being nice is one of the most important things.
- The buffet breakfast has always the same options. They could improve it! At one day they served perished fruits. Why not serve fresh things?
- At one dinner we asked for fish thinking that this was the place to ask for it (beach, near a fishermen village, fresh fish etc.). Instead they served frozen fish. It was the worst fish ever. TERRIBLE FOOD!
- Front desk staff could be nicer!
- Be prepared for tons of mosquitos including inside your room. Ok! You are near nature. But everyday when they come to clean up your room they let the mosquitos in.
- There was a cockroach inside our room.
- We saw a big rat in front if our door eating another cockroach. Almost like those NATGEO stuffs.
- We also saw a snake in the middle of the path at night. Be careful with children! Yeah! It is nature! But the paths could really be a little bit more illuminated.
- Paradoxally the presence of a big number of security guards brought the idea of that being an unsafe place. All the time one of them ran after us to ask if we really were guests of the hotel. I MEAN IT: ALL THE TIME! And this was something that really bothered us!!! Why not put bracelets in guests wrists like every other beach resort in the world?
- They could put and air conditioner in the gym.

Really!!! They have all that a great beach resort needs!! It lacks a good management of the property and personality!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank leonardomrc
Reviewed 19 April 2014

This place is hands down the perfect vacation spot in Santa Marta! It's located off of the highway, south of Santa Marta proper, and with a big sign... making it easy/hassle free to find. It's also less than a 3 minute ride from a shopping center with modern conveniences like Carulla (grocery), Juan Valdez (Starbucks), and Crepes and Waffles (Colombian version of Panera). So if you ever have to leave, you don't have to venture far. Unlike a lot of other places though, Irotama Resort really is ALL INCLUSIVE. All those extras are not needed, but a nice safety net.

Down the short, horrible entrance road and to the left you will find the main office. I booked online, and could not process my US credit card through their credit card authorization paperwork process - but they held the reservation, without a deposit, and I checked in with ZERO problems. Their guest services emailed me, the week prior to my arrival, to inform/offer to me their free airport shuttle too. (Not needed as we drove up). Parking was validated for free, and the security guards did a good job of actually documenting your plates and checking the vehicles in the parking lots. I felt very safe and secure with my family - as it was their first visit to Colombia. The best logistical note: upon checking in, they gave me $50USD discount from my original online quoted reserved price because of all the confusion about US credit card. (Which ultimately processed without any problems). Easy to find, Secure, Easy to Check in & a Discount? I thought I was in heaven. And it only got better.

Breakfast, Lunch, 1 drink during happy hour, dinner, and 1 cup of wine with dinner is part of the meal package. And you can eat at any one of the 5-7 restaurants; although it was hard to get the family off the ones located directly on the beach :D They even included the full day's worth for the day we were checking out! The food is your typical Colombian fare, but even with a picky eater in our group we found something good to eat at each meal. Breakfasts are AMAZING compared to most other hotel buffets. Happy Hour drinks were stiff and semi-inexpensive, and wines were good quality and matched the nightly themes of the dinners. Our favorite night being Brazilian BBQ.

Included in our bungalow package, we got 1 spa trip and 1 marina pass. (Jet skis, boats, etc). We also got free towels at the pool included, but we brought our own. I think my favorite part about the hotel was the privacy of the beach. Unlike Zuana and other Santa Marta beaches, Irotama was very clean and very PRIVATE. No beer bottles strewn about. No algae or kelp dirting the sands. Just beach and palms and zero people. I walked the beach from top to bottom one day... none of the other Santa Marta resorts offered the privacy or cleanness....Out of 5-6 hours on the beach, we'd maybe get 3-4 pan handlers. And they were friendly, instead of aggressive and rude (like Playa Blanca or the Islas de Rosario). It is so quiet and so serene and so clean and so private. If you want a real vacation - skip the party resorts and chillax at Irotama!

So why the 4 star rating?!?! Well the wifi was inconsistent. It came and went. Constantly. Not that it was fast when we did have it. (Common for Colombian Hotels in my experience.) I had the bad luck of never getting a hot shower. Which was annoying. The water pressure was great, my usual compliant of bungalow like properties... but the water heater seemed cursed, or more likely with a small tank, as several of the other folks in my room seemed to have no problem. The room had excellent air conditioning, fans, cable tv, and a chill mini fridge... but limited electrical sockets, rough towels, and rough sheets. (Luckily I brought fleece blankets in my beach/picnic blanket bag). Lastly, the bungalows were largely well constructed and immaculately clean... but there were gaps in the ceiling, and we did get a tarantula room mate one night. We opened the door to let Rusty out, as we named him, while trying to figure out what to do with him. A little jungle excitement you have to pay for being in jungle bungalows that are directly on the beach instead of the superstructure hotels that are a bit aways. Overall, the location/proximity to the beach and amenities made the bungalows well worth the companionship.

Would I recommend this to a friend: I already have!
Would I stay there again: Trying to find time in the calendar and money in the wallet!

Room Tip: Avoid Irotama del Mar - as it is under construction building a new wing. If you reserve a bungalow...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends