“Clean, basic and good”

Hotel Nueva Granada
Ranked #8 of 115 Santa Marta B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is a very affordable alternative in the historic district of Santa Marta. I spend one night and got a room with A/C for $130,000 COP ($69 USD) with breakfast included. I've stayed in lowered-priced and a little better places in other parts of Latin America, but hotel prices in Colombia are not the most competitive in the region. I followed the reviews on Trip Advisor and decided to stay at this hotel; the staff was welcoming and friendly. I'd advise any reader that the area where the hotel is located may not be very safe at night or on Sundays; on those times, it's safer to get a cab from where you are in the city to the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 October 2013

We had read some good and only one bad review on here and took this with a grain of salt and just as well we did, our room (13) was great, clean, basic, bed a little hard but for the price and the fact there is a pool and it is a block away from the beach and a short stroll to some brilliant restaurants -its a bargain.
The manager could not have been more helpful, and the young bloke he has helping who makes the breakfast is great, helpful, polite.
There are birds, yes, but we hardly noticed them , and there is a really sweet natured cat, Timotei.
Breakfast is cooked to order and is substantial.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Hmmm I really didn't like this place. The welcome wasn't friendly, the parrots and birds in the reception area were horribly smelly and my room was like a prison cell. There was no hot water and I got more bites here than I did in Tayrona national park... Not sure what was biting me.. I can see why it might appeal to backpackers, as the communal areas are condusive to conversational exchanges, but I didn't enjoy the kids drum practicing into the early hours... The breakfast was pretty rank - coffee awful, bread was sweet and stale. The scrambled eggs were reasonable. It's probably great value and the bed was reasonably comfortable, but I wouldn't go back to stay if you paid me.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank missbloggs
Reviewed 26 August 2013

The hotel is nice and comfortable, but I recommend paying extra for air conditioning. My room, and I think all the others as well, have only one small window to allow air in and out of the room and I found that it was just too warm inside, even with the fan on high. I didn't pay for the AC. Otherwise, the staff is friendly and helpful -- a special thanks to Jorge for all his help! -- and the included breakfast is excellent. I rated the sleep quality as average because without AC the room is too warm to sleep comfortably, and because the window opens to the courtyard where people can sit, eat and drink. If there are people staying up late and drinking -- as there were while I was there -- or getting up early for breakfast, you can hear it all loud and clear.

Room Tip: Get air conditioning.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Pros:

- staff is friendly and learns your name quickly.
- breakfast included.
- housekeeping staff extremely sweet and respectful.
- wifi included throughout.
- cable TV
- optional a/c (at additional cost. I opted for the included ceiling fan instead but presume the a/c works).
- parrots and other quirky decor and amenities, like book library, statues and other little details. One of the birds "meows" like a cat.
- small pool for cooling off.
- short walk to great restaurants, bars, public squares and beach.
- two cozy hammocks in public area.

Cons:

- If you plan to sleep-in you need to hope there are not early risers eating at the tables directly outside of the rooms. Three French couples did a great job of talking and laughing loudly each morning during my stay, starting at about 6:00 a.m., for example. There is really no remedy for this.
- pay for everything up front--no tab allowed.
- despite asking to cancel my last of five nights directly after checking in, I was not allowed to adjust the booking since I had to pay in full immediately upon arrival. This is fair enough, I guess, but I would have appreciated some flexibility.
- immediate vicinity a little dodgy after dark--a few (2-3) blocks walk and things are a lot more populated at night.

Summary: if you're looking for a home base allowing for trips to Taganga, Parque Tayrona, Minca, etc., this is a good deal. Building and furniture/amenities are pretty tired, but if you're not worried about that you'll be just fine. Staff is friendly and Jorge, in particular, speaks great English and really cares about your comfort, proving to be quite an asset if your Spanish is as poor as my own. Within a few blocks you will find excellent restaurants, clubs and bars.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This hotel has everything to enjoy even more your stay in Santa Marta...
It is very clean, beautiful, with a pool, with parrots and little birds.
There is internet access and the service is a high-quality one. The rooms are very clean. The owner and ths stafff are always worrying about the guests.
The breakfast is very tasty and heavy.
The location is perfect (10mn wlaking to the Cathedral).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Eaurelian
Reviewed 13 March 2013

This hotel was clean, comfortable, and had a delicious breakfast in the morning. But what really made it worth the money was the service we recieved. My sister in law accidentally dropped her camera's memory card in the trash can in the bathroom. We had already left by the time she had realized she had done so. We called the Hotel from Cartagena to see if by any chance they had found the memory card. The woman that cleans the rooms said she had not seen it and that she already cleaned the room, but that she would look again... She actually DUG through the trash and miraculously found the memory card! She then express mailed it to us in Cartagena, before we were able to wire her money to cover the costs. Needless to say this kind of service goes well above and beyond my expectations!

Also, we were given chocolate bars upon arrival in celebration of International Women's Day. Nice touch!

I would agree that the are does get a little sketchy after about 9 pm... We learned that 11th street is pretty sketchy and that there is sometimes spill over on to 12 th street. Just be carfeul at night.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family