“Such a disappointment.”

The Water Club by Borgata
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We have been going to the Borgata for years and were quite excited when we saw The Water Club under construction . Last year we received our promotion for free nights at The Borgata, but were also offered the Water Club as an option, and jumped on it. Well, that was a huge mistake, for a hotel that was fairly new, it showed a lot of wear and tear. I did venture up to the spa and Pool deck, The pool was dirty, unkept and a major disappointment. To access the casino or restaurants from your Water club room was a very long walk, and with a handicap person it just makes it even more challenging. This year we are staying at Revel. Such a shame, my dream of a great experience at The Water club was just a let down.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank mical65
There are newer reviews for The Water Club by Borgata

Reviewed 20 July 2012

Borgata/Water Club Review
Marguerite D.

I have traveled many places in my lifetime but have never taken the time to write a review. I now feel this is necessary. At least twice a year I stay at Caesar's in Atlantic City and usually have a great time; one that meets my expectations. This particular summer I thought I would try the Water Club at the Borgata. I was traveling with my two sisters and two nieces. Over the last three years, both my niece and myself have been diagnosed with breast cancer, and my other sister with kidney cancer. This was to be a celebration of ourselves and life itself.

We had reserved two adjoining rooms and when we arrived at 2 PM we were greeted by a nasty, condescending employee at the front desk. She explained that we could check our luggage but would not be able to use the pools at the Water Club until check-in time at 4 PM (at that time we would be given a wristband). We were told that we could go to the pool at the Borgata and swim there however, my niece has difficulty walking due to her recent radiation treatments and this was not an option for my family. We sat in the lobby and waited to speak with a manager, Michael, who was then kind enough to allow us into the pool area to place our things down. We were able to swim in the indoor pool until our rooms became available.

That evening we had dinner at Bobby Flay’s Steakhouse restaurant. The service was awful, the drinks arrived after the first course, and the food was disappointing. By then, my sister was not feeling well and we had to return to the room. A few hours after dinner, my sister became extremely sick to her stomach and displayed most of the symptoms of food poisoning. The housekeeper was called to our room to assist with the “mess” from my sister’s condition.

The next morning, only three of us were able to even think about breakfast so we decided to order room service. We kept a positive attitude and our intent was to spend the day by the infinity pool and enjoy lunch poolside given that the weather was going to reach temperatures of up to 104 degrees that day. Breakfast arrived cold, of poor quality, and the breads were soggy and saturated with butter while the cheeses were cold and stuck to the plates. They had forgotten one of the orders and I had to call for them to bring up the third breakfast. Afterwards, I was enjoying the view from our room when I noticed that the infinity pool seemed to be void of water. I could not believe my eyes and my niece quickly called the front desk where she was told that the pool had to be drained but would be operational by 12 PM. We decided to swim in the smaller, operational outside pool (as did every other guest in the hotel) and there was barely room to move.

We had lunch by the pool and my sister had paid the waitress $60.00 for the drink bill. The waitress came to me (I was sitting across the swim area from my sister and had already tipped this waitress $40.00 extra for our lunch bill) and told me that my sister had not paid her enough money. She stated that the bill was $42.00 and she had only been given $40.00. Embarrassed that my sister had made this mistake, I gave the waitress an additional $20.00. When I asked my sister why she did not pay the full amount, she told me that she had given her $60.00 and told her to keep the change for a tip. When I approached the waitress, she instructed me to ask the bar tender and that he would assure me that my sister only gave her $40.00.

By 4:30 PM, the larger infinity pool was still filling with water so we decided to return to our rooms. I also wanted to speak with a manager at this point due to the recent problems we had experienced. I went to the bell captain’s desk to ask for a manager and to request a large wheelchair for my niece since there were none available the night before. I spoke with the manager who stated that my complaint needed to be addressed by a separate manager who handles the outside pool area. She offered to give us a complimentary drink for our trouble. I refused and told her that what I really wanted was the courtesy and service that we deserved given all the money we were spending at her hotel. The bell captain called his associates and assured me that the large wheelchair I had requested was on its way so I tipped him $5.00. When the wheelchair arrived, it was small enough for a child but we accepted it anyway so that my niece would have something to lean on and use as a walker.

When we returned to the room, my niece called and asked for three towels for the showers because they had run out. Management refused, stating that they could only supply two towels. She explained that there were three people staying in the room and asked if they were all supposed to share one towel. They replied that they would send the three towels and when the housekeeper arrived there were only two. It took another three phone calls to obtain an additional towel.

The next morning, it was raining so we were unable to enjoy the infinity pool after all. We checked out. Over $2000.00 was spent on this three day vacation and it was the most horrific, unpleasant vacation of my life. The Water Club is in desperate need of a new staff that understand how to respect and treat their guests.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
14  Thank Marguerite D
Reviewed 19 July 2012

A great hotel with every amenity you need for a fun filled experience. Not just a Casino but a resort for Fun and relaxation. Be sure to take advantage of all that is offered. We really enjoyed the incredible indoor/outdoor pool. Indoor pool less crowded and air conditioned which was greatly appreciated in the 97 degree weather . The fitnness center will satisfy any fotness program with a large array pf equipmentThe buffet dinner in the Borgata was a very good deal offering many wonderful entrees etc. Well worth the $30! Of course for the gambler the Casino is something to behold. This hotel is a cut above the rest. Away from the hustle and bustle ,the location was more reserved and quiet. We intend to return in the near future

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Kayaker44
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Really liked the hotel. Very clean, nice sized smoke free room. Good indoor and outdoor pools and an excellent breakfast buffet at the Borgata included in our room price. Very good meal at Izakaya. The only issue we had was the price they wanted to charge for the daily use of the spa - outrageous especially when there was no one even there. Would definitely go back to the hotel although would like to try the new Revel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ridgetraveler
Reviewed 18 July 2012

The Water Club is hands down the best place to stay in Atlantic City. It's run by Borgata (the best casino in AC), and it's connected to it so basically you're staying right inside the casino. The rooms are clean and spacious with an excellent assortment of amenities and services.

It is the ultimate couples place to go with its variety of indoor pools and upscale spa. I got my girlfriend a spa package one day and hung out by the lap pool and massive hot tub while she was doing her thing.

To those people complaining about the lack of "family pools" - that is the whole idea! The Water Club caters to those who are visiting to get away from the hectic atmospheres where kids are running wild, thus why they do not allow children at their pools. Frankly I do not think they should even let families with kids stay in the hotel at all.

Take the hint: casinos are not for kids and most people don't want them there because there's nothing for them to do. If you want to do beach/boardwalk with your children, then there are plenty of places down that way in Atlantic City where you can stay.

I recommend the Water Club to every one of my friends and family going to Atlantic City.

Room Tip: Spend a little extra for the corner suites at the Water Club and you will not be disappointed!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Renegade552
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Just stayed at the Water Club at the Borgata in Atlantic City and it was amazing. Very upscale hotel but not expensive at all. Beautiful clean rooms and great view. The beds were dreamy.. Could have slept in the next day! Really enjoyed the breakfast buffet, casino and lounges. Definitely worth a return trip. Staff was very accomodating.

Room Tip: All rooms have a great view.. we were on 20 and it was perfect!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank GracieNewJersey
Reviewed 16 July 2012

My amazing friends took me here for my bachelorette party. The hotel smells clean and new right when you walk in. It's much quieter than the Borgata which is nice, you're not dealing with the casino noise or cigarette smoke. You have to have a key to prove you're staying there when you go to the elevators. The room was clean, modern, and beautiful. The spa was amazing, with a rooftop indoor pool you can relax by all day. It felt like we were in Miami. Out of everywhere to stay in Atlantic City this would be my first choice.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends