“Always pleasant”

Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
New York
“Always pleasant”
Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed a Thursday night, late check in. No line, pretty empty, asked which floor we would like. Room as always was beautiful. View of ocean and pool. Casino very empty, many new slots and favorites were moved to new positions. I never remember so many different slots. Buffet was excellent as usual but same menu. All staff pleasant, outdoor pools still open but empty probably due to late date but temperature on Friday was still hot. Friday afternoon casino still empty. Cocktail service Friday morning and afternoon very spotty, nice cocktail waitress promised to send someone to our section and then made sure they had come.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank AcesFull

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 September 2013

My sister and I enjoyed a few days at the Water Club. The room was very clean, the bathroom was bright and had nice products and towels. We requested a high floor with a bay view, the sunsets were gorgeous!!! We loved the spa, it wasn't very crowded mid-week and the restaurants didn't disappoint. The only con for us was the heavy smoking in the pool area.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank bethannez
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Very nice hotel rooms. Clean. Food court is tricky to find if you just want a quick bite. It tries to have that 'Vegas Feel" with it's outdoor pool lounge, but It's no Vegas. Pretty far off the boardwalk, which I found to be disappointing. It also seemed that there weren't enough tables for blackjack. Every table was packed and we were only able to pay as a group (4 of us) once during our two night stay. Over priced for what it was and I'm not sure I will stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank JPH007
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed 16 September 2013

This is for a stay the 22d and 23d of August 2013

Initial Arrival – Ugly. This is the only hotel I have ever seen where the valet parking is underground and you do not enter the front of the hotel. Your first view of the hotel is an underground parking area. The first person that approached our car had a disheveled appearance – wrinkled outfit, not a uniform, etc. We assumed he was a street person who wandered in, but it was the valet. He ended up being courteous but his appearance was horrendous. We arrived late in the evening so we asked him what restaurants were open at this hour. He yelled to a person in a suit who was on the phone, who waved his arms and yelled back something we could not understand. Eventually after a few yells back and forth they said Bobby Flay’s was open.

Entry to hotel – You enter at the basement level. There were no signs that said “Lobby this Way”. We asked at the valet stand and were directed to the escalator leading up.
Check-in – The person who checked us in (Ms. Tr___) was blasé, then turned rude. All was fine until I mentioned that I had coordinated with customer service for me to check in – my brother had made the original reservation, but was not coming until the next night. She said right away, “You can’t do that”. From my years in the hotel industry I’ll say that her response was totally unacceptable. The response should have been, “Let’s see what we can do to fix this”. I next explained that I had made arrangements with customer service the previous day and that I had the verification number. Plus I showed my military ID that shows my brother and I have the same last name (it is an unusual one) and my credit card. She still would not accept these. She then said that if I called my brother he could verify. It was 1030 at night but I managed to get through to him at home. She did not ask him for a verification number or any proof of ID. I could have called any person to say they were my brother, so what was the point of putting us through that? After check-in Ms. Tr___ did not explain hotel features or anything else. She did say, “Enjoy your stay” – I’ll give her that much. After this check-in experience I decided we would use as little of the hotel as possible.

Room – Very clean. But there were maintenance issues. For example, the toilet paper dispenser was loose and crooked. The shower was nice, but you could not position the European shower head because the adjustment part was broken, so it would just flop back to its original position. Am I being picky? Yes. But this is a supposed 4-star facility so there should be zero maintenance flaws. Who inspected the room before we arrived and why were these issues not fixed?

Coffee Machine – The coffee machine is capable of one cup at a time. Considering the room rate this was not acceptable.

Fitness Center – I decided to go work out, then saw they charge for each use of the fitness center, so I did not work out there. I’ve never seen a fitness center where paying guests have to also pay per use before. We were paying north of $300 per night already.

Internet – Even though the room rate is quite high they charge for each use of the Internet. I decided to not use. I had never seen Internet pay-per individual use before this trip.

Pool – Beautiful – Did not use it because they do not allow use the last day of checkout after 11AM and we slept in to around 9AM. We felt pressured to check-out because of the late penalty I’ll cover below. We also did not use the pool the first night because it closes at 7 PM. I have never seen a pool that closes that early – strange considering this is the “Water” Club.

Casino (In Borgata next door) – We decided to try roulette and/or blackjack. We found that every table was packed multiple layers deep. It seems they did not have enough tables open. We ended up not gambling at all during our two days there.

Restaurant (in Borgata next door) – Bobby Flay’s was fantastic. I have only accolades for that place.

Bar (in Borgata next door) – We had a good time, but they only had one waitress for close to 100 people. It took a very long time to get served without going to the bar. For $12-14 per drink it was not worth it.

Check-out – The in-room guide said they would be happy to accommodate a late check-out – for an additional ½ the room rate. All other hotels I’ve stayed at will at least allow some leeway without a charge as long as you request that in advance. We were so worried about getting charged the ½ day extra we decided to skip breakfast at the hotel, check out early and take a cab to the boardwalk to eat. Good choice – lots of reasonably priced good restaurants on the boardwalk.

Overall value – Terrible – You are paying a very high room rate but the room is not that great and they charge extra for other basic services. You could do a lot better elsewhere.

Summary – The Water Club was a poor experience overall and I would not go back there. We found, however, that AC itself has a lot to offer. Go out on the boardwalk and experience all the restaurants and other fun attractions. Very family oriented. We will go back to AC in the future but will stay away from the crowded, smoky, overpriced casinos. I’ve heard the casino-hotels are not doing well financially. I can see why – poor service, crowded, frivolous charges, overpriced everything drove me away for the foreseeable future. I saw that nearby Brigantine Beach has a lot of nice rentals with high reviews – will try those next time.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Jeff K
Joanna M, Guest Relations Manager at The Water Club by Borgata, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Jeff K- We were disappointed to read your description of your stay. Please know that our hospitality management team has read your review and will certainly address your comments as best they can. We’re sorry that certain aspects of your visit didn’t meet your expectations. We will certainly be taking some of your comments into consideration and will also being using them to try and improve on the service provided by our team members. We hope to welcome you back to Borgata at some point in the future.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We chose this hotel because we wanted to enjoy a few more warm days at an outdoor pool. The Water Club was supposed to have that. It did have two relatively small pools but the minute I stepped onto the deck I knew why it was called "Club". Loud music came from the many speakers around the pool. There was not one quiet place to escape to. Additionally people were drinking their cocktails and beers in the water which I personally find unhygienic. The indoor pool was also enclosed in music, and there the air condition was set so low that I would not have wanted to lie there in my bathing suit - much too cold. Music in the lobby as well. the rooms were nice, with a generous shower and the view of the bay was spectacular. However, due to the not relaxing atmosphere I would not return.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rosenbogen
Joanna M, Guest Relations Manager at The Water Club by Borgata, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Rosenbogen- We’re sorry the atmosphere at pools was not to your liking. We try to match the music to the mood of the crowd and we regret it wasn’t your preference. There are times when it is much quieter and more relaxing and we’re sorry it wasn’t while you were here.
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed 6 September 2013

This room was beautiful If I hadn't stayed at Borgata the previous night. It paled in comparison. Décor, length of walk to the casino and restaurants, service, cleaniness. Parking was the best part of the deal. And a little pricey for the inconvenience of moving my room.

Room Tip: Pool looked lovely, had no chance to take advantage of it.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marilyn T
Northern NJ
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I'm afraid I'm going to damage my credibility if I do nothing but complain about Atlantic City but yet keep staying it Casino hotels. As I said in my review of the Golden Nugget last month, I have some extenuating circimstances that require me to be in the AC area, so Mrs. Sulu and I are trying to make the best of it while we're here. This month's staycation brought us to the Water Club. Wow! This is the most non-Atlantic City hotel that I've found so far. No smoking, no gambling, no seedy people milling about the lobby - it was really a nice escape.

Check in was quick and pleasant and we were in our room by 3pm. We did a quick fly by of the facilities on the way up - a nice pool deck area and a beautiful bar area filled with trees and capped off by a 8 foot linear fireplace. We would spend a fair amount of time in both these spots in the next two days but we moved forward to check out our room. We reserved a VISTA room (King) and were checked in to a corner room on the top floor. Two GIANT windows on each wall with as great a view as you can get in AC (sorry love the hotel, but not the area). There was a good size "couch" in front of the windows as well that made a great place to sit and look out on the world (once it got dark). Room was very clean and felt relatively new, fridge, safe, big desk, big flat screen TV. All the basics you would expect from an upscale hotel. The bedding was great as well. The mattress was supportive, sheets were soft and the feather pillows were big but not overstuffed to the point of giving you a stiff neck in the morning. The only thing missing, ironically enough, was water. Not a single bottle to be found anywhere in the room. On to the bathroom. Very big room with a door to separate the toilet from the rest of the bathroom. Oversized glass walled shower had a tiled bench inside as well as a rain shower head with a mounted hand held sprayer as a supplement. It was great! Good pressure and an overall very positive shower experience (a hot button of mine). A very competent blow dryer was provided as well. Very classy and comfortable, but not overdone.

The gym is very nice as well. It's on an upper floor and you look out the windows while you treadmill or elliptical yourself through your workout. They told us threre was a $10 charge per person to use the gym but there was no attendant there during our hour+ so we incurred no charges.

Spend a couple of our nights in the bar (The Sunroom). It's a very cool mix of water, fire and lots of vegetation. It was a fanastic place to get lost in a few glasses of Cabernet to wrap up the evening.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple