“Love it every time, and that says a lot (Wheelchair Review)”

The Water Club by Borgata
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
NJ
“Love it every time, and that says a lot (Wheelchair Review)”
Reviewed 3 January 2010

Just got back from the another visit to the Waterclub. We go down to AC at least 7 times a year and had enjoyed many stays at the Borgata until the Water club opened and now we are regulars at the Water club. I am a hotel snob, I won't deny it so this review is based on my high expectations.

Lobby: The lobby is beautiful and check in is smooth like butter. Ambiance is chic with modern furniture and clean lines. High ceilings, sophisticated...from a visual perspective this property is beautiful. Front desk staff have always been courteous and efficient.

Our Stay:

Most of the time we stay in room 2972, which is a handicap accessible room. Elevator is nice and roomy and not as fast as the Borgata but elegant and efficient none the less. The room is close to the elevator (once you turn into the hallway there is carpet which isn't super thick but might be a bit challenging for a person in manual wheelchair with limited arm strength). Upon entering the room, the bathroom door is on the right hand side and it is a sliding door into the bathroom. Not a cheap flimsy door but a nice sturdy door which blends beautifully with the room decor. The bathroom is fully ADA with a generously sized fold down shower bench, the door opens outward but there is enough space to transfer from a chair to the shower comfortably. Only shower, does not have a bathtub. Sink is a roll under sink with faucet handles being correct height for a chair. One drawback to the shower is that there is a rain shower in the center which is controlled on the left hand side of the shower while there is a large handheld shower head by the fold down bench on the right side of the shower. So a person in a wheelchair will sit in the fold down bench and would be able to use/control the handheld (which is quite large and has great water pressure) but not be able to reach the rain shower head or the controls for the rain shower. It annoyed fiance but the great water pressure and roomy bathroom made up for the inconvenience. Another drawback to bathroom is no make up mirror for ladies and the hair dryer is stored on the top shelf so if in wheelchair alone you wouldn't be able to reach it. You could always ask the bellhop to bring it down and once its down the outlet is within arms reach on the right hand side of the vanity. The toilet is located by the shower as you enter the bathroom but there is no door which separates the toilet from the rest of the bathroom so if privacy is an issue you might want to take this into consideration. There are dimmer lights in the bathroom which is a nice feature if nature beckons in the middle of the night and you don't want to be blinded by bright lights. Please note this specific room has 2 queen sized beds, they are soft and the linens are high grade. There is a generously sized flat screen on the wall above where the mini bar is. Thats another thing to consider, this room has no fridge just a minibar so you cannot take leftovers back to the room. The safe is large and fit our 15 inch laptop with room to spare. The room is equipped with a desk area and 2 very cool phones (have touch screen among other features). The curtains do a terrific job of blocking sunlight so no complaint there. The light fixtures in the room are modern but still appealing with everything matching perfectly (pet peeve of mine so I notice when the handles dont match the hinges ). The furniture is up to date and compliments the decor beautifully. The room is NOT large like many of the Borgata Suites but large enough to comfortably fit 2-3 people. The view is best once you hit the rooms on the 20+ floors. Our view consisted of the pool directly down below, highway in the center,Trump and Harrahs on the left and the Marina straight on so not the best but not too shabby either.

Casino itself is accessible with the main walking paths made of tile so easy to wheel on. Bathrooms are accessible and every restaurant has a ramp where needed. I am not the gambler of the family but fiancee never has complained about facilities and he is picky.

Overall its a fantastic property and would recommend it to my closest friends.

1 Thank KPNJ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Baltimore
Reviewed 30 December 2009

The waterclub hotel itself gives off a very tranquil appeal. From the time you arrive at the valet parking service to the lobby agents. All staff are very professional and they give you a pleasant welcome feeling. The hotel It offers a nice get-a-way from the louder casino atmosphere in the adjacent Borgata. Our only complaint was our room. The room was nicely appointed; love the flat screen and bathroom. However, my wife and I were very disappointed in the construction of the walls, which seemd almost paper thin. So much so that you could here the conversations in the adjoining rooms, even at moderate speaking volumes. In additon, you could hear the sound of hall way room doors closing. It seems that a little more care should have been taken with the sound proofing of the rooms, at least on the 18th floor. Eventhough the hotel itself was extremely nice, we will not stay again.

1 Thank slb003
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 December 2009

I have been in almost every hotel -cassino in AC and I can tell you water club so far Its the best.The hotel is new and modern.The service is excellent.OMG...I loved the Pool Area.Its very relaxing.The food and drinks its just average hotel prices.It has a beautiful deco. We had dinner at the Bob Flay Steak and its was very good.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 December 2009

First let me start off by saying I absolutely love staying at The Water Club. Each time I go there I am simply awed at how beautiful the lobby and guestrooms are.
The first time I went, the front desk agent was very friendly, very helpful, very enthusiastic. I was there with my partner for our anniversary and were given a great room (without them even knowing anything about the anniversary). Brian @ the concierge was very helpful, before, during, and after our stay at The Water Club.

Second time around, got to the check-in line and everything seemed to be going smoothly. I had previously made the reservation over the phone, asked for a room on a floor higher than what I stayed in last time(27). Somehow the PMS system wouldnt let the Agent check me in. Apparently the room assigned to us which should have been 2990 had been switched out by an agent to our left. In our reservation notes it said DO NOT UNBLOCK, and the agent even wondered why it said that. When asked why I wanted the room I replied, "When i made the reservation with the agent on the phone, I asked them to block me in a room on a floor higher than 27 this time."
**PAUSE**
If I couldn't get 2990 or any other room on a floor higher than 27 that would have been fine with me.
**PLAY**
The Agent then replied in a nasty tone, "OH, PFFT, SIGH. [Name of Agent who pre-blocked us] had us worried. Ok I'll put you somewhere else."

BIG BIG PROBLEM, BIG BIG TURN OFF.

Other than the fact that the old lady who checked us in at the front desk TURNED ME OFF completely with her rude service, everything else at the hotel was fine.

I work at a hotel and know if a room is pre-blocked and says DO NOT MOVE, you DO NOT MOVE! And you dont just "OH, PFFT, SIGH" someone who plans on staying there often.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DavidArroyo10
philadelphia
Reviewed 7 December 2009

As the reviewer before me stated, I am not typically a fan of Atlantic City either. My family has a house right across the inlet in Brigantine which is where I have spent every summer since I was a toddler. So, I never had a need or a desire to stay in a hotel/casino in Atlantic City. That being said, it was my sister-in-law's birthday and she wanted to spend the weekend being pampered somewhere away from her children. The Water Club was a simple one hour drive for all of us and I had heard good things about it, so we decided to spend a weekend there. We were not disappointed.

The differences between the The Water Club and other AC hotels/casinos are much too numerous to mention. It is a totally different experience. The WC is very subdued and relaxing utilizing neutral colors, rich woods and sumptuous fabrics in its decor. There are no tour buses, rowdy crowds, gaudy decor, loud lounge shows or that typical carnival atmosphere that you get in most AC casinos. The WC doesn't even have a casino in the building, but the casino is a short walk down an interconnecting corridor to the Borgata. In fact, the WC club doesn't offer much in the way of dining, shopping or entertainment, but again all of those things are readily available via a short stroll over to the Borgata.

What the WC does have are brand new posh rooms and surroundings, an atmosphere conducive to pampering and relaxation and probably one of the best spas I have had the pleasure of experiencing. The Club room we reserved had ample space, luxe linens (I am definitely going to purchase their bath towels), high end furnishings, flat screen TV, well stocked mini bar, great storage space, gorgeous, well appointed bathroom (the Axor shower is to die for), and elegant decor. The only minor complaints I have about the room are that the bed was a bit too firm for my taste and the lack of bathtub.

Service throughout the WC is very good. I would not say it is over the top, i.e. you do not have employees continually fawning over you. but if you seek out assistance or request just about anything, you will be met with helpful, polite employees who will do everything in their power to accomodate you. Room service was perfect, accurate and quick and the menu is great. Housekeeping was on the ball and impeccable (replaced toiletries and towels everyday). The mini bar was not replenished each day which is one of the only lapses in service we experienced. Front desk was quick and efficient, concierge was very helpful and spa employees were courteous and well trained.

Now onto my favorite part, THE SPA! Immersion Spa is on the 32nd floor of the WC and it rivals just about any hotel/destination spa I have been to anywhere in the world, and I have been to many. It is gorgeous, relaxing and has great amenities. Coed indoor pool and hot tub overlooking the AC bay area, plush locker rooms with single sex hot tubs, plunge pools and saunas and all the towels and toiletries you could ever need. Very comfortable lounge areas and again fabulous views and decor. My husband and I spent an entire Sunday afternoon lounging by the coed pool and hot tub reading and relaxing. We even had lunch at the pool. I had two spa services which ranked amongst the best I've ever had. I had a facial/peel that left my skin just glowing and renewed and the Lulur Bath and Body Ritual which I just can't say enough about. This was a 2 hour long service which consisted of a body scrub, bath and full body Balinese massage. It was absolutely heavenly and rid my body of any and all stress. I could barely walk when it was over. My therapist's name was Chris and I highly reccommend you request him if you decide to have this treatment. There is also a gym on the 33 rd floor which we did not use.

We took the short (indoor) stroll over to the Borgata to do a little gambling and have dinner. We ate both nights at Wolfgang Puck's American Grill which I highly recommend. The atmosphere was casual and the food was beyond good. The Borgata itself is lovely and very nice by AC standards, but it is a little more commerical and a bit more hectic. We were happy to retreat to the tranquility of the WC each night, but it was very nice to have the best of both worlds.

My husband and I agree that we have found our new "getaway" place whenever we just need an easy and relaxing escape from reality. Bravo Borgata!

Yes, everything was very expensive, especially by AC standards, but we knew that going in and we chose to splurge for the weekend. It was worth every single penny. We were only a hour from home and I felt so removed from the everyday world that it was shocking to actually leave the WC after being there for two full days. It is not close to the beach, boardwalk or outlet shops, but all of those things are a 10 min cab ride away and we did not miss any of it.

3 Thank kitty33
pa
Reviewed 29 November 2009

I'll start w/ the bad - I do not like AC very much - much of the city leaves a lot to be desired. However, the Borgata / Water Club seems to be in a world all it's own (think of Las Vegas Bellagio) Also not a good location for those who want to walk to the AC boardwalk (me, never) , to the outlets or to Pier One shops which are both worth going to. From Borgata / Water Club you are a ten minute cab ride to beach, boardwalk, shops etc....Beach near boardwalk is ok, definitely better nowadays - if there during the summer you are very close to several nice beaches.
Now the good. This hotel is heads and tails better than the rest in AC, Unsure why they have two separate names -they are different (mostly as each has its own spa) but truly all in one. The water club is my husbands favorite place in AC to stay when he feels like doing a bit of gambling. Less crowded, more privacy, better amenities. The Borgata was there first. Both have a great staff. Borgata is where you do your gambling, get your Starbucks, gelato and treat yourself to many great restaurants, concerts, shows- very little shopping in either. I love the Borgata signature facial in the Borgata Spa - never been in the water club spa - seems silly to spend the addt. $$$ Rooms are nicer in Water Club but not worth the additional money as the Borgata rooms satisfied us fine until they added the water club. My husband disagrees LOL - One minute walk from one to the other. Everything in Water Club is more expensive - rooms, drinks, spa etc....so if you have the extra money to splurge stay in the Water Club OR save your money for a great dinner and show tickets! Hope this helps!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bkjbbr
Belleville,NJ
Reviewed 3 November 2009

This is our third time to stay at the Water Club. Everything is new. It reminds us of The Wynn in Las Vegas. Simple and modern decors, carpets are still new, the rooms have a great and comfortable size with bathroom that has enough space. When I forgot a particular toiletries, they provided me some replacement. Excellent housekeeping service. Do not use the mini fridge because it is triple the price. Price is the highest in AC.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple