“They Lost Me at Hello, but Good if you Only Care about Location...”

Sheraton Atlantic City Convention Center Hotel
Ranked #11 of 50 Hotels in Atlantic City
Kalispell, Montana
“They Lost Me at Hello, but Good if you Only Care about Location...”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

First, let me start on a positive note. This hotel is in an excellent location if you are attending an event at the Atlantic City Convention Center as it is attached via a sky walk. It is also a quick walk across the street if you don't care to take the sky walk. We did enjoy being so close to our event for the weekend but the hotel depends upon its location to bring people in, not it's customer service.

The hotel as a whole is dated and in need of renovation but let me start with my check-in experience as this is normally where one's first impression is formed and sets the tone for the rest of the stay. My check-in did not go well and neither did my stay. Upon check-in I asked for an upgrade to the Club level as I am a Gold member and it's never a problem, except for this time. I have been a long time member of SPG but that doesn't seem to account for anything at this particular hotel. I was checking in at 3:30 so lots of rooms should have been available but I was told that all the club level rooms with two doubles were guaranteed to others. I wasn't sure how this was possible as the majority of the rooms had been blocked by organizations for the event at the convention center (i.e. most were in the same boat as me). I said OK and asked if I could have access to the Club level for breakfast in the morning. The clerk (I wish I remembered her name, sorry) said, with a scowl, that she could give me this access but would not be able to give me any of my other SPG complimentary gifts such as free wi-fi access. She acted as if she was giving up her first born to give me this highly coveted access to the Club level that I was supposed to get due to my SPG status anyway. I ignored her power trip and simply said thank you and left, with a terrible first impression, to find my family.

Upon arrival at our room we thanked and tipped our bellman Marc, who was super nice and informative, and unpacked. We quickly found out that one of the lamps did not work as it was missing it's knob which was broken off (see picture #1). We had to twist the bulb in and out to turn it on and off. The floors were filthy (see picture #2) and had not been vacuumed well, especially under the beds, for some time. There was mold or stains (not sure) on the tub grout (see picture #3 & 4) and the vent in the bathroom was also filthy and rusty (see picture #5). Like I already said, this hotel need to be renovated to get it back up to Starwood standards.

The biggest issue I had with the room, wasn't it's cleanliness, but its HVAC system. I turned it all the way down to 66 and could still not cool the room. There is nothing I hate more than sleeping in a hot room! Stay away from room 1407 until they get this problem fixed.

When we visited the Club lounge there was only one attendant and she was busy doing her duties to the point that she was obviously oblivious to the guests. She was running around restocking items and just saying "excuse me, excuse me" as if all the guests were in her way. She did not smile and acted like we were simply there to keep her from doing her job. I think this is a case of not seeing the forest because of the trees. So much for customers first? I just made sure to stay out of her way ;-)

When we took the kids down to the pool area we quickly left as it was barely bigger than a large tub and the hot tub was closed. Why do hotels have to be so cheap to close the one thing that may give some relaxation to its guests? I just don't get it. Don't go to this hotel for it's pool or hot tub.

We tried the hotel's restaurant, Tun Tavern, but left due to the long wait. We were later told that it was a good thing as the service was slow and the food was worse. So once again, don't stay here for the quality of the service or food.

All in all the hotel was no where near the price you pay to be close to the Convention Center. If doing it again I would most likely stay at another hotel that is within walking distance of the convention center or has a shuttle. Some may not be such a stickler for customer service and cleanliness as I, but like I said in the title, they lost me at Hello.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an ocean and Boardwalk view, not the Bay side. Stay away from rooms near the el...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank TravelBrainstorm
SheratonAC, General Manager at Sheraton Atlantic City Convention Center Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We are sorry to hear that your stay with us was not what you expected and we have shared your comments with our team. These comments will help us improve in the areas you have mentioned for our future guests. If you would like to share more with us please do not hesistate to give our executive office a call we would be more than happy to discuss your stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 January 2014

The hotel itself is pretty nice but the room we were in smelled of smoke even though they are a non-smoking hotel. I had a very hard time sleeping. The pillows were very uncomfortable. The workout room was nice but the pool was very small. It's in a great location right near the outlet shops.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We are sorry to hear that your room smelled of smoke and you did not have a good nights sleep. We hope you will try us again on your next trip to AC. Please feel free to contact our Executive Office when you are planning your return visit so we can make sure your visit with us is as comfortable as possible.
NEW JERSEY
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Stayed at the Sheraton in AC for a cheer competition at the Convention Center. Beautiful hotel with great accommodations. The lobby is big and inviting - nicely decorated. Room was two double beds and very comfortable. Bathroom was nice with bathroom necessities given. Check in was easy and tunnel inside to get over to convention center so didn't have to go outside if didn't want to. Parking self service under convention center.Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Nice view of hotels on boardwalk if you ask to be on that side.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your kind comments. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed or hotel and all we have to offer. We look forward to having you stay with us again at our "Great Location" on your next trip to AC.
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stayed here for few days during the trade show in the near-by Atlantic City Convention Center. The location couldn't get better for me as I just had to cross a road to my Convention Center. It is also walking distance from all the popular casinos.

The staff is friendly and helped me with the loyalty membership sign-up during my check-in. I enjoyed the buffet breakfast in the morning. Though I have few dietary restrictions, I still had lot of options. The room service was friendly and was delivered in the promised time. The rooms are bit old but clean & hygienic, so I am ok with it. But definitely the rooms don't give you the feel of other newer Sheraton properties I have been to.

With all the good experience, one tiny incident really irked me during my stay. My room internet wasn't working and I had to call the reception to fix it. It wasn't working because the attendant at the reception didn't punch my card properly! I had to come to get it fixed. The internet still didn't work, I called them again and they put me through to a helpdesk who did some resets and it worked. But the shocker came when the hotel charged me a cool $45 for the phone call! The phone call was to the front desk and they charged me for fixing an issue at their end. It irritated me and when I raised the issue, the front desk immediately reversed the charge! I didn't quite get it! Though eventually didn't have to pay anything, this charge & reversal of charge when I complained, left me bit upset.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Tranquility_Wiz
SheratonAC, General Manager at Sheraton Atlantic City Convention Center Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
We appreciate you taking time to share your experience with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us for the most part. We do apologize for the mix up with being charged for the phone call to the help desk regarding your internet. We are happy to see that our team was able to adjust this charge right away for you. We hope you will stay with us again on your next trip to AC.
Cancun
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here a few times.I enjoy the Sheraton because you can bring your pet.My mom jokes that she will never stay in a pet friendly hotel but the Sheraton is extremely clean. There is a nice little grassy area for the dogs.My normally skittish dog loves the elevator. You are right near the shopping outlets and a shuttle bus takes you to casinos.The only negative is that pricey breakfast buffet.I forgot they give a great Military discount also.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Ifoushee
SheratonAC, General Manager at Sheraton Atlantic City Convention Center Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
We are so happy to see we are able to welcome you and your pup again and again at the Sheraton Atlantic City Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back again on your next trip to AC with your furry family member!
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I am very upset that upon check out I was told my I owed $450.04 which I knew and asked to pay cash and I did.... BUT... no one informed me that $529.20 was debited already from my card. Had I known the full amount was taken from my card I would not have paid AGAIN in cash and they should have informed me of that!! So 2 nights stay and $980.00 dollars later.... All for a room with previous persons dry cleaning trash on floor in closet and bed linens were horrible looking. So now I am told to wait 3-4 days for my $529.20 to credit back to my card!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank kim g
SheratonAC, General Manager at Sheraton Atlantic City Convention Center Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
We are so sorry to hear about your experience during your recent stay. We would like the oppurtunity to speak with you about your stay and to make sure the mistake was fixed. Please contact our Executive Office so we can make sure everything was fixed.

Travellers are raving about these Atlantic City hotels

Tuckerton, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I love the Sheraton in Alantic City, but mostly the Starwood Resorts membership. I was amazed I was able to use my points to book a room on New Years, esp when other hotels are charging a fortune. Hotel is convientely located from the AC Expressway, walking distance to outlets, Caesers casino etc. We also reserved the clubroom where you get continiental breakfast included. The frontdesk staff are very courteous and you can't beat the late checkout at 4pm with Starwood. I would recommend this hotel to anyone statying in AC as long you do not mind that there is no casino in this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
SheratonAC, General Manager at Sheraton Atlantic City Convention Center Hotel, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
We are so happy hear you were able to ring in the New Year with us at the Sheraton Atlantic City Hotel. We see you enjoy our property and all we have to offer. Look forward to welcoming you home again on your next trip to AC