“What a Change!”
Review of Golden Nugget

Golden Nugget
Ranked #8 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed 25 June 2012

If tou have not been to the new GN in the marina district then you are in for an amazing shock.iIt is beautiful .. amazing oool with hot tubs, fire pits, two pools...one with loungers in the water! Fantastic exercise room and spa. Wonderful restaurants galore. It is a dream. And of course.....a beautful marina to view from the Chart House....and The Deck with live music and bars. A must see! Oh....almost forgot......the casino!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank bobbinj
There are newer reviews for Golden Nugget

Reviewed 23 June 2012

Just came back from Golden Nugget for 2 nights. What a difference 5 months makes, I was there in January while it was under construction, it was a bad experience. Now, it is very nice. I stayed on the 16th floor in a Marina Suite. The suite was large, quiet, very comfortable, new bed, furniture is brand new, flat screen tv, separate shower and bath. I had a great night sleep both nights. The spa was offering a 1/2 price special on everything and the spa is very nice, small but very clean and nice. It reminds me of a high end Vegas spa, mini version. The spa specialist named Michelle, very nice and professional, did a great job. I believe I overheard it was a 6 million dollar renovation on the spa alone. I didn't drive at all, but took the Jitney to Boardwalk for $2.75. Pleasant bus ride, Jitney picks up right in front of hotel, so convenient. Room service, very good, delivered in 20 min...I ate at Lillies both nights, freshest salmon sashimi I have had in a long time. manager came over to me both nights to make sure I was happy. When this restaurant is discovered, its going to be packed every night. Sushi was fresh and good, hot sake very good as well...Manager said the fish are delivered fresh every day, I could tell.....ok, heres the issues..pool area is crazy busy, 25 dollars for an umbrella to put up next to my chair, young kids jumping in and out of jacuzzi, running around pool like crazy, no lifeguard, very loud. It is very small, and I watched many older people walk around the pool and just leave, very unhappy, no chairs left. I think they need more control over the pool, it is a disaster waiting to happen. They should put an adults section only on the far end overlooking marina and have plenty of umbrellas for free with another outside bar on mariana side..come on a 25 dollar charge for an umbrella, I stayed for 2 hours, what a rip off. I cannot imagine what a Sat. or Sun. is like at the pool, just get there early for a space. It seems that the more mature adults are getting terrible service while the families with 10 kids are making out like bandits with no supervision. It would be my guess the older adults are the ones spending the money in the casino. The manger at the pool was rude, he was the only rude person I encounted the entire time, ordering the pool boys around. He said a light colored umbrellas was 20 dollars, a red one, 25 dollars...does not seem right. Live music, good band both nights in casino. very friendly blackjack dealers, check in very easy. Overall, great experience!

Room Tip: Marina suite is very nice, worth the extra money, 16th floor is nice.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank kerriannt
Reviewed 23 June 2012

The rooms were very nice. I enjoyed the buffet for lunch, the food was outstanding. The pool area was nice but too many little kids jumping in the pool, you could not really relax. I wish they had different pools for kids and adults.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We booked one night stay because of the price and the good reviews here. Internet booking 1 night for $149 with a $120 spa credit and you had to telephone spa to make an appointment, which I did. When we checked in the young lady checked us in in under 2 minutes, hear is your key here is a directory.But I thought what do we need. We went for lunch at the pool deck, sat at a table for 15 minutes and then went to find a waitress. Apparently the waitress assigned to our area was overworked or overwhelmed and another waitress took our order. The hotel is newly renovated, still smell of smoke in many public area ,the room was nicely decorated, bed super comfy. Main issue was with the spa treatment, they said the knew nothing of the special we booked and we would need to get a coupon from checkout. At checkout the young lady went to check with a a supervisor,told us the supervisor would help us in a minute, we waited,no supervisor, asked the young lady again, she went in the back and came back and said we had to go to customer relations to get a coupon. We then went and stood on customer relations line to get a coupon. Then we had to go back to check out where once again we had to wait for the supervisor to correct this. Apparently we should have been told at check in that we needed this coupon. I expressed unhappiness to this supervisor and for our time and trouble she took off $30 lunch bill. It took us 60 minutes to resolve this. So be aware if you book any specials you need to take some extra steps to avoid the aggravation we had

Reviewed 19 June 2012

Well, the change is really amazing. Trump did let the property go into major decline and it is really remarkable how much improved the Golden Nugget is and how they managed to stay open during the renovations. Been visiting this property for 15 years....there are still some bad apples with the staff, but most of the staff was very accommodating and pleasant. The property is renovated beautifully. It is new--which is always a plus. The casino is much more modern/Vegas looking with bars and restaurants within the casino. Great restaurant choices. Bars were not crowded--don't think it was a "happening" place for that, but it was fine. Good band. Both Vic and Anthony's and the Chart House are top notch restaurants, expensive, but worth it (comps work there, too :)). The pool is SO COOL. Firepits, jacuzzis, cabanas, comfy seats.....The Donald should take note. I liked the shops. Not any major shopping here, but nice to walk around and something the Trump Marina really didn't have. Room service was on time and satisfactory. The room is nice--still problems with the paper thin walls. I guess at this point, I'm just used to it, but it stinks. The pillows are too high for my liking and the blankets too thin, but I asked for additional bedding which was not a problem. AC is not Vegas--it never will be. Don't expect it. So, for AC, I think this property is great b/c it is away from the boardwalk nonsense and riff raff. The marina is beautiful. I love seeing all the yachts and enjoy the marina bar. The beach at Brigatine is really beautiful--again--away from the AC crowd, although it is not free. $8 for adults, but free parking and truly a quiet, large, family friendly beach 5 minutes away from Golden Nugget.

Room Tip: stay away from elevators--where there is also a lounge. It's AC--people can be LOUD.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2012

My husband and I spent the evening here for his birthday on 6/17/2012. This was my first time staying at the Golden Nugget so I wasn't sure what to expect. I have to say, I was very impressed. We booked a Marina Suite which was very nice. The suite was newly renovated, spacious, and overlooked the marina. The view at night was great. We visited the spa which was also very nice. We didn't receive services but the front desk person was very helpful. She showed us around the spa and went over the services in detail (nice customer service). We spent time at the pool on the 5th floor.. Awesome area....... The hotel was a few restaurants. We went to the Chart House for happy hour. The prices were reasonable and the view was nice. All in all, we had a great time and we plan to revisit again soon. I would recommend the hotel to others.

Mr. & Mrs. Reid

Reviewed 17 June 2012

The pool is AMAZING. Fire pits, lounges, and cabanas and beds you can rent. Tons of loungers, 4 jacuzzis, a big pool, and a large pool with only 6 inches of water for lounging. It has these neat lounge type chairs in the water. It's on the 6th floor and has a spectacular view of the marina and the boardwalk skyline.Of course there is bar and food service. You need to wear a risk band and can not bring your own food or drink. The Hotel was just remodeled and is very clean and well kept. They have a spa and fitness center. The services in the Spa are pricey. You pay to use the wet parts of the Spa, the Jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. There is a male side and female side. The fitness is nice not large but has all you need and is co-ed. The fee is $25 to use both $10 for the fitness room. I got a 2 day pass for $35. If you get one of the services at the Spa the wet part at least is free. On the weekend the 4th floor on the elevator does not work so you need to get off on the main floor and take the escalator up to the 4th floor. We do not gamble or drink so I can not tell you about that. They had a few restaurants seemed in line price wise with most others. You also need to have your key to get on the elevator going back to your room, this is done for security and so you can not seek people back to your room. If you are a couple you EACH NEED A KEY. That's right no key no elevator. this was a little annoying as once the line did back up. Check in and out was good. Self parking is only $5 for the night $10 for valet parking, you can go in and out. The room was nice a shower with 2 big heads extra towels. The room was nice king size bed and a L shaped couch a desk and flat screen tv that actually got a good picture. Plus it had a refrigerator hair dryer, safe and all the extra's. The only 2 complaints and 1 is no biggie you only get 1 coffee! The other is the location if you want to get into town you need to take a Jittney, cab or drive. The Jittney is $2.25 and run frequently. They are like going on a thrill ride. They also have a few store for shopping a Starbucks and and arcade for those not old enough to gamble. And the best black out drapes ever. It was solid darkness in our room with them closed.