“Terrible Customer Service/Check In”
Review of Golden Nugget

Golden Nugget
Ranked #8 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I waited a half an hour before I received any assistance. Someone behind me in line had to go try and find more help at the check in desk. When I was finally assisted I stood before an unpleasant woman who did not apologize for the wait, make friendly conversation or even eye contact. Being a manager in the customer service industry I would be appalled if one of my team members acted in such a manner. I gave the woman my license and credit card and after several minutes of her not spelling my name as it was listed on my license I had to assist her so she could find my reservation. Upon finding my reservation of two nights in the hotel she stated there were no more non smoking rooms available. The woman was unhelpful and didn't offer any resolutions. It was clear she could care less. I was more than willing to pay extra money for an upgraded room that was non smoking, however, that was not an option provided to me. I have never had a check in experience like this in all my years coming to AC. I declined the room and immediately called the Borgata where they were more than happy to assist me. This was very disappointing as I was looking forward to staying at the Golden Nugget. I would recommend staying next door at the Borgata where your business is appreciated.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank nmal2566
There are newer reviews for Golden Nugget

Reviewed 7 July 2014

The Golden Nugget is awesome! It will make you forget you are in Atlantic City, and you won't need to go anywhere else!
We stayed at the Golden Nugget, the first week of June. So it was not quite hot enough to be able to enjoy all of the outdoor activities, but this is one of the few hotel casinos that really gives you tons of things to do besides gamble. The outdoor pool area is amazing. The hot tubs and fire pits are awesome. During the day, enjoy some cornhole, bocce, badminton, volleyball, horseshoes, and more.
Our room was AWESOME, super clean, and a great view. Super spacious. Everything in the room was super modern, and clean. You could tell everything had been upgraded fairly recently.
When we checked in Friday, there was a teen party going on in the room next to us. After traveling 5 hours to get there, we wanted to relax a bit. But the noise next door was insane. One phone call to the hotel and the problem was solved.
The hotel staff was responsive and very helpful.
I would definitely go back.
The only problems with the Golden Nugget are:
They need more table games. We spent TOO much time wandering looking for a seat. If we want to play, we should have seats open.
and TWO
There is TOO much to do, you don't want to leave and explore Atlantic City.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed july1-3. Not a bad stay for $107 per night with free breakfast buffet. Check in was slow especially since the Elite members just walk right up cutting everyone else who was not elite. They should have had three or four dedicated only to non elites and seperate person to check on elites only. They only had two people checking in customers and the line was long and the check in process slooooow. Rooms were good just except for red fruit juice stains on the carpet. Doesn't seem like many food choices (borgata has a whole cafeteria!) the rest of this review is for Michael Patricks. Went in around 10:58 pm was seated but no waiter for ten minutes. Our time there was weird. It didn't seem like anyone was happy to be there( waiters and customers) Our male waiter was weird and he made kiss sounds to my fiancé making his experience weirder than it already was. He got his soda which was very flat tasting and my water tasted like bathroom faucet water. After waiting and waiting we got our food. Fries were overly stale and a burger that was supposed to be medium was rare (pink allll over). Our waiters English wasn't very good and he didn't understand me saying the fries were stale. I had to use the word "old" to have him understand me better. He said he would tell the chef , left with our check ,I waited for change but he was taking too long (perhaps talking to the chef who probably doesn't give two you-know-what's about what we said) so we just left. Terrible service. Otherwise, the stay at golden Nugget was fine just not at Michael Patricks.

• Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Cynthia T
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

A few days in the golden nugget casino hotel in Atlantic city New Jersey was a real eye opener for us.
Prices fluctuate daily and the clientele are generally gamblers, so unless you are a serious punter, this is not a top spot for you.
The staff were generally courteous and accommodating but the hotel is old , tired and absolutely tasteless in its decor.
I could imagine a lot of better alternatives that also situated in a more centralised position near the boardwalk. So ... All in all not a top pick!

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Curthofmann
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Golden Nugget, Atlantic City twice. The first time was May 19, 2014 for two nights for the money. We had booked a room with two beds which was a higher rate. Upon check-in, I requested a handicap accessible room which had one bed. I spoke to someone at the front desk because the rooms with one bed was at a lower rate. When she checked the rate which was originally higher for two beds, she said I was in for 99$ each night and she's bringing the rate down to $75 per night for the one bed. We saved $48 for the two nights from the original rate.

Our next trip to the Golden Nugget was on June 23 for two complimentary nights. We love their restaurant and their food is excellent. We tried their buffet on this trip. They too, have excellent restaurant. This is our new favorite place to stay In Atlantic City..

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We were a group of 4 (two rooms) purchased through Groupon. The pictures and reviews seemed great, and we got a great deal through groupon (approx 350$ US per room for 4 nights). The hotel was just okay...it was well worth the 90$ a night we ended up paying, however I would have been very disappointed had I paid 300$+ which is apparently the regular wait. We showed up on a Sunday afternoon at 4 pm and neither of our rooms were ready, I myself waited about an hour for my room and the other room took about 2.5 extra hours which was a huge inconvenience right off the bat. The rooms were nicely decorated but you could tell it was just nice on the surface...there were rips and stains on a lot of things and although minor, it just isn't what I expected from a hotel that is apparently one of the highest rated, 4 Diamond hotels in AC.The phone barely worked, the front desk staff was a tad rude, and the valet staff were in a crazy rush even though the parking lot was empty which was quite annoying.

The casino itself was a lot of fun, there were some pretty good restaurants and happy hour deals, we ended up spending way more time in the casino than we thought we would.The rooftop pool/bar is gorgeous, but again the staff was pretty rude, the cost of rending daybeds or cabanas is ridiculous, and it could use a bit of cleaning and extra care. Honestly if service would have been better, it would have been a great place to spend an entire day. There was virtually no customers at the pool and we easily dropped a couple 100$ in a 3 hour sitting and the bartender was virtually ignoring us so that he could peacefully watch a movie behind the bar, even when we inquired about getting bottle service.

If you do stay here, it's safe, pretty nice looking, and very decent, but just don't expect an unparalleled experience. It was still good, but I prefer the Borgata or even the Sheraton next to the outlets.

Room Tip: If you do stay here, don't eat breakfast at any of the restaurants downstairs unless you're...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank AJ L
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Made reservations 4 weeks ago,friends made them 2 weeks ago ,we arrived around 12pm and made our way to the deck for lunch.went to check in at 3:55 pm(check in is4).our friends were at the check in right next to us and I asked if we could be on the same floor.was told not possible they already had a room assigned to us so i thought no problem. Then I was asked for a phone number to be reached when my room was ready? I asked if check in was still 4 and was told between 4-8! My friends room was ready but not mine?i kindly let them know this was my last time staying and immediately the the lady who was checking in my friends came over checked me in and put us on the same floor! Why was this a problem to start?.poor customer service,my money is green everywhere ,never been the same since it was the TRUMP marina...sad

Room Tip: Can't....4 week reservation meant nothing
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends