“The pits, a [--]!!”

Ranked #20 of 50 Hotels in Atlantic City
NewJersey
“The pits, a [--]!!”
Reviewed 24 October 2009

We always stay in a comped room at the Borgata when we visit AC( at least once every 6 wks.) But I had a timeshare to use or lose, and being that my husband was working, we thought booking in AC would be fun and he could join me on Thursday 'til Sunday.
Check-in was disappointing because the couple occupying my apt. delayed their check-out. The lobby was shabby(if you can call it a lobby.) Very institutional looking. The carpeting on my floor was soiled. The apt. itself stunk of cigarette smoke. The terrace did not have a sliding screen so what's the value of a terrace if you can't leave the door open to enjoy the ocean air. The space between the bed and bureau was about 6 inches! The pillows were so old and lumpy with the cases barely covering them. I was to stay the full week but only slept there 2 nights, booked the Borgata for the next 2 nights, told my husband not to bother joining me, and aborted my stay. The security in the garage is not safe. The gate remains open as your parking enabling any lurcher to pass through. I felt very anxious parking at 7:30 PM. it is on a deserted side street with empty lots and a parking lot surrounding the place. Find another place to stay, this is the PITS.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Jagmac707

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Philadelphia
Reviewed 27 September 2009

OK folks here it is for all of these complainers on here about La Renaissance....WWWWAAAAAAAAAAA!!! Stop your crying people!! I'm tired of reading the same stupid nitpicky complaints, It's not on the boardwalk really! Please, you walk out the door hang a right and walk 30 ft to the boardwalk!! The room and windows were dirty!!! Nonsense, I witnessed cleaning staffs on every floor while there and our room was spotless, as far as the windows go OK the outside of the windows were dirty, do you really expect a medium priced budget hotel to pay to have the windows cleaned everyday??? The parking garage is hard to use! Crap learn how to drive I was in and out with a Mountaineer and 6 passengers with NO ISSUES. It's in a seedy neighborhood on a dead end street, ummm you're in AC, what exactly do you consider seedy?? Yeah it's not on the main strip of casinos where they keep it looking "safer" within a block or 2 but if people were actually scared around La Renaissance then you folks have some serious issues with what you consider safe and secure. Man up is the point there was nothing scary about it. IT's a 5-10 min stroll to the casinos and yes I will agree with those who said the pool is terribly small. It is impossible for an adult to swim a lap, it would be a waste of your time and effort. For the prcie of this hotel compared to the other bigger name hotels you CAN NOT go wrong. The fact that they can appease 6 adults in a 2 bedroom suite with a fully equiped kitchen/dining area, with a full LR is a huge + in my book! His and her sinks also in the bathroom of the 2 room suite. A master BR with a patio, no view but still nice. 2nd BR with 2 beds and a sleepout sofa, all rooms had TVs. All this for $330 with state taxes on a Sat night vs paying for 2 rooms at another casino is a no brainer! Go people just go!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank hurley711
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 August 2009

We ahve been staying here for the past six years. It is great, it's clean, spacious, great staff, centeally located and great rates. We wouldn't consider staying anywhere else. We go twice a year and this is where we always stay. Would recommend to everyone.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 1217
Jersey
Reviewed 22 July 2009

What you need to know:
Pros-
*The hotel is perfectly located with Bally's to your right nad the beach directly in fromt of you. You can "stumble" back from the beach bar ;) Almost everything thing is with in walking distance.
*There is plenty of space. We had the two bed room which could have easily slept 6+
*Balconies on most rooms- ours over looked the ocean.
*Full kitchen- fridge, electric stove top, microwave, and pots/ pans.
* Free enclosed parking (usually one car per room.)
*Dukin Doughnuts just downstairs!!! (they don't have Splenda tho...)
* There is also this great pizza/ liquor store/ breakfast place downstairs as well. They have EVERYTHING and the are open 24 HOURS!!!!!

Cons-
*The pool is a larger version of a tub... and its VERY hot up there. But it over looks the ocean - that's pretty cool.
*The bathroom looked like it was from the 70's but the rest of room looked fairly modern. It was little weird to me. Even though it was clean, I felt that if it looked like it was that old that it couldn't be clean-- might just be me.
*I wasn't a huge fan of the room keys. They were like a flash drive looking thing on the end of an old school motel key-- when we went out at night- I kept checking to make sure I still had it. It was a little too bulky and hard to hold.

As along as you realise that this is not a 5 star casino - resort- you will enjoy it. We loved it- check out the pics!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bubbatrips
Wernersville
Reviewed 29 January 2009

We booked a room at this hotel at the last minute...and it was well worth it! It doesnt look nice from the outside but I was quite surprised on the inside. The rooms were so nice, big and well equipped. They had a locked parking garage and great security. It was right on the boardwalk which was great. The pool was really nice, it was on the roof top over looking the ocean! I would stay here anytime!

Its great for families because of the size of the rooms and the amenities that are included.

• Liked — the room sizes and location
  • Disliked — age of hotel
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank proudfather19
New York
Reviewed 10 November 2008

This was a decent hotel for the price and location (on the Boardwalk), Yes it did smell of cigarette smoke in the room but I took my Fabreeze and sprayed away. I was only there for one night so it was fine for me.

It was clean, well stacked with utensils and pots and pans if you wanted to cook. Large fridge and microwave...all clean.

I was on the sixth floor facing Kentucky Ave. No noise to speak of.

Would I stay here for a long weekend? Sure. A week? Probably not.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Neighborhood not so nice.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
4 Thank icman
NY
Reviewed 14 September 2008

After reading several reviews I was kind of scared to book here, but my experience turned out quite good. The hotel is not appealing from the outside, but the rooms are big, clean and spacious. I felt like I was in an apartment and not in a hotel suite. I had a baloney with a view of the ocean, which was beautiful. We also had free parking even though the parking garage is kind of tight. Overall I had a good experience at that hotel and I will stay there again. The staff was also friendly.

• Liked — It had a full kitchen was able to bring our own food and cook
  • Disliked — Need to update their furniture
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family