“Dump of a Hotel but the food was good...”

The Annex at The Chelsea
Ranked #34 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Made the mistake of choosing to stay in the Annex this past weekend. Honestly, one of the worst hotel experiences I ever had with the only two exceptions being the food and two staff members who tried to make things better. When we booked the room I did know that the Annex was not as updated as the Luxe but the room rate was $280 with tax so I wasn't expecting it to be a total dump. The lobby was nice and check in was uneventful. I asked to be in a room not near the elevator or stairs because I didn't want to hear people going back to their rooms at 3 am. We were accommodated and on to our room we went. Once you walked into the Annex building the whole vibe changed. I guess the room had a new bed with a lumpy comforter on it. The room was just dingy and gross. There was the dirt ring around the exterior of the room where the vacuum didn't meet the wall. The bathroom was clean but outdated. Not a drop of hot water came out of the sink. It was decorated from the Walmart clearance section. I opened the curtains and had a beautiful view of the gross parking lot next door. The worst part was that there was no handle or lock on the sliding glass doors to our room. What? Are you kidding. I looked around for a room safe to put our stuff in...nothing! I didn't feel safe in this room with no lock on the door. I went to the front desk and told them the situation and they offered to give us a new room, which they said had a lock on that sliding glass door. Really? You actually are aware that some of the rooms don't have locks and you have not fixed them? I said I wanted to go see the room and I would let them know. The room was the first room in front of the stairs on the 3rd floor. No way, that is exactly what I didn't want in the first place. I told them I was going to stay in my original room. When I walked back to my room I heard the maids talking and say that they needed to send someone to my room # for a refresh because the person was leaving. I told them I wasn't changing rooms and not to bother. I went back to the room and propped the ironing board up into the sliding glass door jam and decided to take a nap. A little while later my door opens and in walks a couple. Not sure who was more surprised! The front desk gave them my room. They left and I called the front desk. I explained the situation and she said she would talk to a manager and get back to me, which she never did. About another 1/2 later there is a knock at my door and it is the maid who is coming to refresh my room. Really, does the right hand not know what the left hand is doing here. Before dinner I went to the front desk to discuss this further. They said "Oh you're the mystery guest in 307." Mystery guest? She was nice enough to take $50 off my bill for all the aggravation. We ate at Chelsea Prime (The Steak House in the Luxe tower) and the food and service was excellent. We came back to our room at 2:30 a.m. and now my key nor my husband's key worked in the door. Went I went back to the front desk, the woman had and attitude and blamed it on the fact that we probably had the room key near our cell phone and credit cards which deactivated it. Bull, more likely that no one in this hotel has figured out that we didn't change rooms and they deactivated our cards. I asked for the manager and told him everything we had encountered from our check in. He was extremely nice and accommodating and took additional money off our bill. I know that this is Atlantic City but being on the 3rd floor of this hotel, we heard cars all night long, honking horns, sirens and party going people in the hotel and on the streets. The breakfast and the service in the diner was very good with the exception of the hostess who had an attitude problem. We had friends that stayed at the hotel that night as well and their biggest complaint was the frat party that was taking place in the room next to them all night long. They called the front desk twice to complain and nothing was ever done to quiet the people down. Would I ever stay in the Annex again? Not in a million years! Would I try the Luxe? Maybe. Would I go back to the Steak Restaurant? Definitely! Would I fire a couple of the workers? Without a doubt!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank njmom17

Reviewed 17 March 2012

Stayed at the annex on a Friday night. Took 30 min to check in since there was only one employee working the desk and a line of 20 people. The annex looks like a shady hostel. The room was dirty and the bathroom was gross. The lights in the room for the most part didn't even work and overall could not wait to leave in the morning

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 7 March 2012

For the location of this hotel and proximity to the boardwalk and Tropicana I think this is a fine place to stay. The Annex section is described as "retro" on their site. Read: "We haven't updated this old part of the hotel yet" It was tattered and torn but over all clean. The walls have some cracks and falling apart, and bathrooms are outdated but for a "party hotel in atlantic city" I'd say it was WAY better than I anticipated especially after reading some rude reviews. The diner in the hotel was great. Simple good food and EXCELLENT service! The roof top bar/dance club is not has hopping as yo'd expect but with a group of you closest friends it does the job. The lobby was nicely redone and bell/valet services were very good. Clean up the Annex, you guys, a couple coats of paint and carpet repair here and there will help a lot! Great service, all staff I encountered were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: No fridge in the Annex rooms. Rooms around the pool are loud. Water reflects the sound from incoming...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 March 2012

If you're looking for an overrated, overpriced, supposedly upscale hotel, The Chelsea in Atlantic City is your best bet. Not only were the rooms disappointing, but the overall experience was less than pleasant. A friend and I found a LivingSocial deal back in January and booked a trip to celebrate 2 birthdays on a Friday night in Atlantic City. With plans to have a total of 15 people staying in the hotel, the LivingSocial ad boasted the retro style and upscale elegance. For $79 we had a Friday night stay. This included free wi-fi, which did not work; free parking, although I'm sure it was free for all guests regardless of the Living Social deal; access to the club, which was nice but empty due to the time of year; access to the spa, which we did not utilize; and a $30 voucher for dining at Teplitzky's, the diner located in the hotel, which was probably the best part of our stay.

I can't understand how a normal night's stay in the Annex at The Chelsea is $170 considering the quality of the rooms themselves. Upon arrival we noticed that a picture was missing off the wall where it clearly should have been. We could see that they had painted around it when it was there. The brackets were still in the wall! After looking at a friend's room, we then realized that we should have had a mirror with vanity lights on the wall next to the TV, which was missing completely and looked like it had never been there to begin with. This made it difficult for 2 girls to share a (small) bathroom for getting ready to go out. We also found out that we should have had an iHome (iPod docking station) in our room, which was also nowhere to be found. We informed the front desk of the missing items and they seemed to have excuses for everything. "Some pictures were broken so they were taken down." "I'm not sure why you don't have a mirror." "Not all rooms have iHomes." We were not offered anything as compensation or as an apology, only excuses.

Saturday morning I went to shower before checking out of our already-less-than-sufficient hotel and when I turned the water on it came out as a brownish-orange color for about 5-10 seconds before turning clear. I let it run for a good 5-10 minutes before getting it and taking a 3-minute shower. We informed the front desk of yet another issue and we received another excuse: "They're doing work on the pipes out front." No apology, just more excuses.

Brunch at Teplitzky's was delicious and honestly the best part of our stay. By the time we left at 2:30, I couldn't have been happier to get out of there.
Overall, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and I will not return.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Annex are small and have virtually zero amenities. Luxe Tower rooms are slightly large...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Briana C
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Stayed in the Annex section of the Chelsea for two nights over President's Day weekend with my girlfriend. We knew going in that the Annex was more of a motel so we weren't expecting luxury. The room was good for what we needed it to be: a place to sleep at night.

The bed was comfortable, the bathroom had everything we needed in it, including hot water and good pressure. We didn't actually try out any of the dining options in the Chelsea since we spent most of our time out on the boardwalk. Check-in and checkout were fast and efficient and the front desk people were very helpful.

One of the few downsides to the Chelsea is the Annex elevators. They really do need upgrading so guests don't feel like the cable is about to snap! Very old and worn out. Otherwise it was a great trip that was well worth the money. I don't think we'll stay there again though as we prefer to have a casino and more dining options available to us.

Room Tip: Know going in that the Annex has more of a motel feeling to it.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John K
Reviewed 23 February 2012

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I visited for a one night stay with the Living Social coupon. We stayed in The Annex, and it was much different than I expected (the pictures on the website and even the lobby lead you to believe the hotel is much more modern). Our hotel room was clean, for the most part. I expected to find a safe (I read a lot of reviews on this site saying to utilize it) but we did not have one. We did have a balcony, which was convenient. The hotel staff was friendly. We stayed for breakfast in the diner the next morning, and I really enjoyed the food.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends