“Had a great stay but this place may not be for everybody” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Annex at The Chelsea

The Annex at The Chelsea
Ranked #38 of 50 Hotels in Atlantic City
Collegeville
“Had a great stay but this place may not be for everybody”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Recently stayed at the Chelsea during a weekend trip to AC. I had a room in the Annex, with a balcony overlooking the street. The room was decent. The Luxe rooms in the Chelsea tower have been recently re-done, the rooms in the Annex have not; and you can see it. On this same weekend I saw a room in the tower that friends of mine had, and they are a lot nicer. That said though the room in the Annex was not bad by any stretch, definitely very clean and comfortable.

Now there are issues; these issues did not affect my stay, but they may be a problem for other travelers. First- the street below (Atlantic Avenue) is a very busy street; and the sounds of Ambulances, police cars and just regular traffic can go on late into the night. This was not a problem for me as I was out most of the night, but can be an issue for others.
Second- the walls between rooms do not appear heavily sound proof. The Saturday i was here, there were three of four bachelorette parties in other rooms on the same floor, and again it was not quiet. Not an issue for me, but could be for others.
All of that said, there are some really great things about this hotel. The restaurant downstairs (Teplitzky's) is awesome. My friends and I had brunch there Sunday morning, and despite being very busy, the wait was less than 20 minutes, the service was unbelievably fast and incredibly courteous; and the food and drink (mimosas, bloody marys etc) excellent. The restaurant is also very well priced (brunch, with mimosas averaged $20 a person). Everything said and done, I would definitely stay here again, although the next time I might pay the extra $40 a night and stay in the Tower (Luxe).

Room Tip: Rooms in the Tower, while more expensive than in the annex; are definitely quieter. For breakfast/br...
2 Thank AbeShenoy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Richmond, Virginia, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

The annex tower has the look of a rundown hotel, the carpet it old, the hallways have marks all over them. Doors to every room were old looking like it was breaking down on the bottom part. Inside the room the carpet was old and had gum stains. The beds were clean and comfortable, the shower didn't put out a lot of pressure and the bathroom fan had a ton of dust on it. The shower stopper would not stay down so we had to put a cap under it so it would stay up and it had a partly clogged drain so you had a lot of standing water. The AC would not cool the room and at times it would make the room hot so we had to keep the window open. When we came downstairs the next morning I advised the front desk about the issues and they were only able to fix the drain stopper problem. When I checked out I advised of the remaining problems but those went unheard by the busy front desk person. Overall the hotel was run down and I don't think we will stay there again atleast in the annex tower, The good is it is right on the boardwalk and the staff is really great, Last thing do not order drinks from the bar and have it sent to the room, We had 5 Sam Adams, 5 shots of jack, 1 white russian for a total of $100.00.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the annex tower

Travellers are raving about these Atlantic City hotels

Arlington, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

I recently paid for a suite in the Annex to celebrate my husband's 30th birthday with friends. While the check in service and front desk staff were incredibly nice and helpful I was a little put off with what I found in the Annex.

Granted, I know the Annex is going for the whole Art Deco 70s era style, but there were parts of our room that looked like they hadn't been updated (at all since the 70s). There was a random walk in closet that still had one whole wall that was exposed drywall. Furthermore there was in some of the heating vents loose drywall that came down and were blocking the air from entering the room - definitely seemed like a hazard.

Finally we were delayed getting our room because I believe the party before us may have trashed the room. Why do we say this, well there were some odd stains on the walls of the suite, and some spots when we arrived where the carpeted floor was, well... sticky. Honestly I would have rather them put us up in nicer rooms while they gave the suite a proper deep cleaning than stay in a room where who-knows-what was on the floor before they gave us the room.

Other than that good location - fabulous staff. Just not sure it was worth the money that I forked over. I was expecting a little bit nicer.

Room Tip: I would recommend NOT staying in the Annex - our other party had a room in the tower and it sounded...
Virginia Beach
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

We booked the Chelsea for my sisters bachelorette party for the weekend. Their website made it look so nice and when we arrived in the lobby we thought it would be just as shown. We were put in "The Annex" portion - the older portion of the hotel and it showed!

Our balcony door would not stay closed - it was FREEZING in our room. When we turned on the faucet the water was brown for the first few minutes, etc. We went out to The Tropicana and had a great time. It started snowing on our way back and the hotel closed the parking lot doors that we originally came from and had to walk around on the boardwalk to get back to the hotel.

Around 3am is when it got a little ridiculous---there were "ladies" calling for guys all night at the motel across the street. They continued this "business" until at least 5 am!

The next day we went shopping at the outlets which was nice, but parking was a pain! That night we went to the tropicana again for a bit but ended up at the hotel club which was okay. They played good dancing music and we had a good time.

Be prepared to pay for valet for the hotel - if I recall it was 20 dollars to park.

The whole weekend we were out and people asked where we were staying most had the same reaction...."really, you picked The Chelsea?!?" Looking back on it I would have gone a different route!

Room Tip: If you stay here try the "Luxe" side because the Annex was horrible!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Philadelphia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

My boyfriend and another couple stayed her for the weekend. When we arrived the the look of the lobby was great and the people were friendly. After going up to our room the lamps did not work and when I called down to the front desk they said they would get someone and never did. We did go to the Steakhouse located on the fifth floor and the food was over priced and just ok. The look of the rooms are very different from the pictures on the internet!!! The Annex is where we stayed and wished we picked elsewhere.

Bayonne, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

My boyfriend and I arrived at the Chelsea on a Thursday evening which was great because it seems we beat the "rush" of the weekend crowd. Valet and front desk were very helpful and we were checked in without issue. We stayed in the Annex (which I chose purposely to enjoy the balcony- which actually did have a partial view of the boardwalk/ocean on the side facing Chelsea Ave.). The room was not exactly what I expected and less than stellar (compared to what I am used to in 3-5 star hotels- I am guessing the rooms in the tower are nicer from what I've read in other reviews??); but it was large, had the basic amenities and the bed was VERY comfortable. There was a picture missing from the wall though, which made me feel a bit sketchy about what was to come for the rest of my stay. I mentioned to the front desk and they assured me that this was basically a part of their "spring cleaning"...I decided not to make a big fuss and give them the benefit of doubt. Outside of the room not being what I expected, we had a wonderful experience! We ate at Teplitzsky's for breakfast everyday which was really tasty, convenient and reasonably priced; also had a romantic dinner at Chelsea Prime one evening- the service and live entertainment were wonderful, along with the food. I also received a facial at the spa which was very nice as well.

It was overall a very pleasant and relaxing stay. We weren't really there to party, but rather to enjoy each other, so it was actually perfect for that with much less chaos being in a non-gaming hotel. I would stay there again for sure....although next time they will have to make sure there is not a random blank space where the artwork is supposed to be :-/.

WILLINGBORO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

My GPS was stolen out of my room. Instead of customer service, we received the runaround! If you have to stay at the Chelsea, I hope you don't have anything valuable because it will prbably get stolen too!