“Good for a short stay”

Ranked #38 of 50 Hotels in Atlantic City
New York, New York, United States
“Good for a short stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

I went for an overnight trip yesterday with a friend who bought the deal on Livingsocial.com The deal was valid on Friday night, which is good because most AC deals are only good on Sun- Thurs. So this was a plus. Check in was at 4pm and we checked in closer to 5pm. The deal included a $15 credit for food at the on-site restaurant (Teplinzky's) and 2 passes to the Solarium (we did not get to take advantage of either).

Upon arrival we checked out the spa, which was closing in 5 minutes (5pm) because they had no more customers for the day, but the Solarium and fitness center would be open until 7pm. Just to the credit of the hotel, the hours listed for both the spa and solarium that they are open until 7pm, but the "Hours may change depending upon Hotel Occupancy." So not to occupied since they were closing at 5pm. The solarium was nice and the outside heated pool looked very inviting. maybe I will get to try both if I stay again in the future.

The coffee shop was empty, surprising for a Friday night, but it is only open Friday-Sundays (until 11pm on Fri & Sat & 2pm on Sun). However, when we returned to the hotel at little after 10pm the restaurant was already closed - good thing we decided to eat at a restaurant in one of the casinos).

We stayed in the Annex part of the hotel, which was OK. With the neon lights in the hallway it looked like a low budget motel, but I guess that part of the retro theme the hotel has. We had a balcony with a view of the motels and inns across the street on Pacific Avenue. If you plan on being out of your room enjoying AC more that you plan on being the room, then the Annex is the place for you. If you are not at all concerned for bells and whistles and looking for a clean place to stay with good cable channels and free wifi, then this will be right up your alley. It worked out for me because it was only for one night and it was clean (other than the bug we found in the tub in the morning).

If I can't get a comp room from one of the casinos, I may give this hotel another try with a room in the tower.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank SMP272

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Morristown, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

My boyfriend and I got a great deal on a "Rise and Shine" package at The Chelsea for a Friday night. We have been wanting to try it out since the price to stay over at a Casino is sometimes absurd. Well we got there and it looks super cute from the inside where the check-in is. Everything looks clean and updated.

We were given a room in the annex part of the hotel. I have traveled a lot, and been to a lot of hotels and motels, and I have to say, the room we were given in the annex was in the top 5 of most disguisting hotel rooms ever. There were construction materials in the hallway of the hotel. It was dimly lit (most likely to hide how much it needed to be cleaned), everything was rundown looking. And that was just the hallway. Our actual room had a semi-broken door. It did lock, but you could push it very far forward and it made a noise that sounded as if someone was breaking in. And the room smelled terrible. It looked like it was made in the 70s and hadn't been updated. I know it is owned by the Tropicana - and honestly, they should be embarassed to be associated with the Annex - it was that gross. We went to dinner promptly after and decided that we couldn't stay there. We paid $30 to upgrade to the main part of the hotel which was a great decision.

I know the hotel is supposed to have an "old school" feel, but there is a way to make something seem old school without seeming run-down. The main part was definitely better. The hallways still needed a serious cleaning and the rooms could have been touched up. Our AC/heat also didn't work. It wouldn't turn off and it was unbelievably hot all night.

The Chelsea definitely has promise. The idea is cute. And if you are the type of person who would rather save some money and stay in a mediocre hotel instead of pay a lot for a casino, then this is a fine place. Just don't stay in the annex.

It's located right next to the Tropicana so if you are planning on going there for the night it's convinient. They also do have a dinner/restaurant that serves breakfast (I think lunch and dinner too). They had amazing breakfast I must say - not cheap - but delicious!

Room Tip: Rooms in the main part of the hotel are the way to go - stay clear of the annex
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kaitw22
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

I went down to AC a couple of weeks after the hurricane for an alumni trip that had been planned for a while. We chose to stay at the Chelsea Annex because we found a travelzoo deal which made it quite affordable. I have previously stayed in the main portion of The Chelsea so I was expecting a clean and modern room but didn't quite get that. The Annex is basically an old beach motel that was somehow attached to the newer Chelsea through the restaurant. You first enter the Annex wing and are greeted with eerie red flashing neon signs that instantly trigger thoughts of the Bates Motel. Then after a 5 minute wait you enter the elevator that thumps and creaks up to the Annex's 4 floors. We learned quickly that walking the stairs was a safer and faster option. Once you get off the elevator you are greeted with more red neon and dimly lit halways that immediately make you feel that this part of the hotel is abandoned. I must say I was surprised with the room itself in that they have replaced and updated the bedding and beds. The room was a reasonable size for 2 beds but there was a slight stale odor of cigarette smoke. Off the room there was a small balcony which overlooks the not so nice streets of Atlantic City and I suspect is where the pack a day gang hangs out. The bathroom was the 80s pink and grey and could have used a good scrubbing. I must say housekeeping was responsive when we asked for more towels since we only had 2 for a 4 person room. I guess for the price we paid I can't expect a lot of bells and whistles but this hotel is in need of a major overhaul and I'd much rather spend a bit more money for a hotel I felt comfortable walking around in alone.

Room Tip: Choose a room outside of the Annex in the mail part of the Chelsea
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Atlantic City hotels

Fairfax, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012

First of all, the pictures on the hotel website are completely misleading. They only post pictures of the Chelsea...Make no mistake, the Chelsea and the Annex are not one in the same. Retro is the word they use for cheap motel. The moment you walk out of the lobby and crossover into the Annex, which is signified by the tacky glowing lights...all the luxury is replaced by musty smells and sketchy motel feel. The room was small and cheaply decorated. The sheets had stains on them. I walked around in my flip flops because the carpet was gross and so was the bathroom. I avoided showering in the room until the morning before check out. If possible, try to shower after checking out the solarium (which they try to charge $15 for)...The solarium is not even that nice, but at least the ladies room had nice sized showers, soap, and a nice mirror. What really mad me mad was I tried to upgrade to a nicer room the week before arriving because I saw all the bad reviews about the annex...The lady I spoke with told me that we didn't need to upgrade, because we received a free upgrade because there was some damage to the annex due to hurricane sandy. When we arrived, we were told that they gave our room away to a paying customer. I told them that I was willing to pay for an upgrade and even called ahead the week before but was told not to bother. The front desk people just said "sorry, we're booked. It happens. There is nothing we can do." The one nice thing about this place was the location and the valet. The guys were nice, but we would have liked to get stuff out of our own car whenever we felt like it instead of having to send them to the car 3 times to retrieve various items. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. Completely misleading.

Room Tip: Do not book at this place unless you are sure you are booking in the Chelsea...Don't get a room...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

I was a little skeptical about the hotel based of the reviews I read about it, I had the mind fame of prepare for the worse but upon arrival customer service was great, checking in was very easy and fast the lady at the front desk was very nice and friendly. The hotel was very clean entering my king side room it was very clean and nice and it had a warm feeling I full joy my stay with my husband and best friend we were celebrating our birthday and I can say the hotel was great and I slept well I miss the bed lol. While checking out we were in formed that the hotel was under renovation so I think that's why it had the bad reviews but I will be going back there in a few months.

• Stayed October 2012
Atlantic City
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012

The room was small and looked like a scene of a drug movie. The hall way was trash, the sheets were dirty. The room looked nothing like the pictures online. I was forced to upgrade my room due to the poor quality.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com