“disappointing stay”

The Annex at The Chelsea
Ranked #34 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We came to the Chelsea to celebrate a big birthday. We began our stay in the Annex, which is the older portion of the hotel. The room was stinky, with hair clogging the shower and sink, and wallpaper peeling off the walls. We paid to upgrade to the newer area. The newer portion of the hotel was also disappointing- the hairdryer was broken and shower barely had any pressure. Our room was never cleaned during the weekend. For the price, we could have gotten a lot more. Our keys stopped working a few times. To top it off, the hotel billed us an additional $80 at checkout for no reason (above the room upgrade fee). Fortunately, we had copies of the reservation and were able to fix it with extra time. The only positive was the partial view of the ocean.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lauren N

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Wish my husband had read the reviews for the Annex at Chelsea before he booked. The Chelsea side of the hotel seemed much nicer the Annex is a DUMP period end of story. The balcony off our room was flooded, bathroom door had visible water damage which was painted over, shower curtain had some type of brown residue on it, lamp had mold around the base of it, box spring of bed was torn, and bed linens definitely could use an update. Have stayed at Super 8 motels that had nicer rooms than this place.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JudeS_12
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

The Annex at the Chelsea is like a sketchy motel in the red light district. It's dirty, there is no guarantee your room will be intact & there's no locks on the door. Even if they'd pay you to stay here....don't!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Cece252013
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We made a booking at the Chelsea hotel in Atlantic City on 19th April for two Deluxe King Room. Once check-in they provided us the room with no view at all. Finally I found out they provide the 3star hotel name The Annex of the Chelsea at 105 S Chelsea Venue 08401 not at the Chelsea hotel which we booked st 111 S Chelsea Hotel. Those two are situated in the same compound with one reception and two separate lift one operating from 2nd to 4th for the Annex and the second from 5th floor to above for the Chelsea.
When i called the Front Desk, they keep denying and they didnt do anything. They were not changing back the roon I booked. We were very disappointed. I paid the credit card for the 4stars but they kept me in this Annex of the Chelsea 3Star Hotel room without view, and do nothing when i complaint about this.
The front desk only replied this is because of over booking and they cannot provide the room we booked in the next morning. It look like they are not sincere to us and trying to cheat. In the morning, when we complaint about this, they simply adjust the room rate 40 dollars only but when we check the price of annex at the hotel, it is only about 99USD per night in the booking.com. But they only adjust the room rate 234 to 200 only. Without compensating anything and solve this case till we satisfied professionally. If they can't provide the room we booked at their hotel, they should upgrade the room or transfer same standard hotel and explained it very firstly instead of cheating. Honestly, I wont book 200 USD at the annex of the Chelsea, which is just a dirty and closed like a cell 3star hotel.
They are cheating the customers not only to us and not as a first time. This is also not a simple mistake. You can find out in some reviews like yelp, some customers also faced like us from this hotel as well. We are very disappointed and it ruined our holiday and precious time by arguing with them.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Patrick7077
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I had a HORRIBLE experience at the this hotel last summer. So bad I ended up checking out at 6am (as soon as the 1st Greyhound was leaving) and I still haven't heard anything from them about my stay, the money I wasted on this disgusting and dirty experience. I HAD TO SLEEP IN MY CLOTHES because I didn't want to touch anything. And has anyone noticed the hotel is only responding to good reviews????

HEY HOTEL MANAGEMENT!!!!! What do you have to say about my horrible stay? How are you going to make it right?

Room Tip: Don't let them put you in the Annex, it looks NOTHING like the photos!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shaquetta C
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The annex looked like a cheap motel, no AC, and when we asked for more towels it took over an hour to get one. The price was not worth it. I would pay 100 bucks the most to stay the again.the only good thing about it was the location.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This was by far one of the worst hotels I have ever stay at, and one of the worst experiences! We had decided to stay at the Annex because really the only difference listed on the website was that the Luxe had a better view (ocean view) than the Annex. Boy was that wrong!! Walking down the long hallway through the cafe to get to our room was quite the experience. If the flashing neon light sin the distance weren't enough to make you think you were staying in a cheap hotel, the tiny elevator up to your rooms and flashing neon sign with the floor when the door open should have been an indicator! when we got in the room, everything looked dated and dingy. There was a light for our closet which appeared to have been broken as the glass was missing. There was no fridge in our room, even though there was a space designated for it. In addition when I Called the front desk to ask how we could turn the air on in the room I was told that this side of the hotel has a flip that is switched seasonally and they DO NOT turn the air on until after memorial day....funny that your pool is open but your AC isn't on yet?!?! We were instructed to turn the switch off so the heat wouldn't be on in the room and to keep the balcony door open. The balcony door that has no screen door! Why would anyone sleep with a door wide open, especially given what appears to be the "hooker hotel" (hourly rates listed) behind them. And you wouldn't want mother nature and her creatures crawling into your room! I was very specific in demanding some type of refund, letting them know how much their room was really worth and not the $250 that we were paying for it! The front desk tried twice to connect me to the manager to discuss my issues and each time I was sent to a pre recorded message stating that the Chelsea was closed and would not re open until Thursday...interesting concept considering I am paying to stay at The Chelsea...and you should probably be closed for renovations! The girl realized what was happening and called me back to apologize and said the manager would call me back. Probably about an hour later I Received a phone call from the manager and I Explained her to my frustrations. She told me we couldn't cancel without being charged and there were no rooms in the other side open. All she could do was credit me $30 for the night. At this point I knew it was a battle I wasn't going to win, so I Accepted her $30 credit and said I Was still not happy and would NEVER stay there again. She called back in like 5 minutes and stated she had a fridge we could have in our room and she would have maintenance bring it up. I asked if she also had fans and I was told no, which I laughed at and said if you don't have AC you should probably consider fans for your guest rooms! maybe you will have less complaints! So they bring up the fridge about 30 minutes later, right before we are to head out for the night and the maintenance guy states that all of these rooms as supposed to have a fridge in them....so apparently someone stole the one from our room???? I could go into so much more about how terrible this place is, but I won't.

I will however say that our room was the nicer of the 2 rooms for our bachelorette party. The other room had an unclean bathroom floor, a hole in the back of the bathroom door and broken glass in the lovely closet light fixture!

SERIOUSLY folks I don't care how nice the Luxe side is, I would NEVER suggest that anyone stayed here. The hotel manager and front desk employees said they ALWAYS receive complaints about that side and yet they do nothing to address the issues being reported!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends