“Annex: beware!”

The Annex at The Chelsea
Ranked #35 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
“Annex: beware!”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The Chelsea is a nice place, but the Annex is another story! It's eerie and feels like the unwanted stepchild. It was creepy and dirty. The bathroom was outdated and nasty, the lights in the hallways were dimly lit (I think they were just dirty!) and the light fixtures in the stairwells were all burnt out. The ice machine didn't work, you had to walk to the other building to get ice. The deck overlooks the dirty street out in the front, there were no ocean views here! The air conditioner kept shutting off and the lamps in the room had short cords so they were almost hanging off the end tables to reach the outlets. A hazard I would say! The room deal came with breakfast in the overpriced restaurant downstairs. That was a decent meal. This was a last minute decision to travel here. I wouldn't intentionally stay here again.

Room Tip: If you chose the Chelsea, don't stay in the Annex!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bobbi G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival we were greeted by a very nice valet man who directed us to the check in desk. We then waited about 20min at the check in desk to be helped by another helpful employee who gave us our keys and told us how to get to our room. After a long walk down a hall way, through a restaurant (?), we finally arrived at the smallest, out of date, scariest, elevators and stepped in, pressed our floor, and wished for the best. We got stuck in the elevator for a solid two min before the ancient doors decided to open. As we looked out and saw the old, ratty, stained carpets and the neon glowing sign that informed us of the floor we were on (2) and the neon writing below saying "chill out" we knew we picked a winning hotel to stay in. Unfortunately the glamour did not stop there. It took us approximately 20 tries with each key card we were given to enter our room. At first the room did not seem so bad, but upon further investigation and time we begged to differ. The bed was lumpy, uncomfortable, and stained. The bathroom had yellow stained floor tile that looked like pools of urine (thank god just stains), the counter top was stained, the toilet hardly flushed, the tub did not drain (showering in standing water), the "white" towels were extremely stained, and the exhaust fan did not work so we had our own personal sauna. As we tried to sleep a door (we think the janitor's closet) kept slamming about twice every 10min so loud that it sounded like someone was trying to break our door down each time. Needless to say we hardly slept between the uncomfortable dirty bed and the obnoxiously loud door slamming of their staff. The next morning we woke up (not like we really slept due to the previously mentioned) to a woman being surrounded by two cop cars and being arrested out our window at 630am!! Oh and our "neighbors" were blasting some hard core rap and the smell and smoke of smoking weed seeping through the cracks of their door and our sharing wall was also another pleasant way to start the early morning. The best though is what we had to share the room with--countless fruit flies. Needless to say we were excited to leave and to never look or go back their again!Please, take it from us and tell everyone you know-- DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!! THE PICTURES MAKE THIS PLACE OUT TO BE GOLDEN--hoax! DO NOT STAY AND THIS POOR EXCUSE OF A HOTEL!!!

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Michelle G

Travellers are raving about these Atlantic City hotels

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 4 August 2014

After reading the reviews of the Chelsea Annex, I was concerned about staying there, but decided to go for it after finding an amazing deal for my birthday weekend (seriously, it was about $150-200/night cheaper than most other options, and on par with the Super 8 and its ilk). However, when we arrived, I was pleasantly surprised about the condition of the hotel!

Many complain about how dark and weird the public spaces are, but I thought it was cool, like the proprietors were going for an edgy, shabby chic vibe while still maintaining the motel roots. Like the motel version of a Brooklyn artist's loft or something. I agree the public areas could still use some updates, but overall I thought the style was pretty cool.

My room was really nice inside, too! The bathroom's fixtures and tiling was definitely out of date, but was clean for what it was. The room was clean and well-kept, with nice furniture and a wonderfully comfortable bed (that didn't have any stains on it). Most, if not all, rooms had a balcony: mine was facing the city and had a glorious view of a run-down motel and a cash for gold store (lol), but if you get a pool-facing room you'll be sitting by the well-kept, very cool courtyard with the pool. I had no problems with the service, both check-in and check-out were pretty quick and painless.

Anyway, if you are looking for a less expensive place to stay in AC, this is a great option. Just make sure you manage your expectations: like they say, don't be having champagne taste on a beer budget. I've seen the price fluctuate, so sometimes the Annex won't save you much money over some of the bigger hotels on the Boardwalk. If you're only saving a few dollars a night by staying here, I would probably stay somewhere else, but if the amount of money saved is significant, this is a really nice, less expensive option!

Room Tip: Go for a pool view room if that is an option, so your balcony is more private and with a nicer view...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kim G
Oaklyn, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We got a room for a girls' night out and were terribly disappointed. For the price, we did not expect to have to walk through the diner, carting our luggage, dragging everything into a creeky old elevator to end up in a room that looks like it hasn't been updated (or cleaned) since the 1960's! I would highly recommend that you look past this establishment if you are planning a getaway to Atlantic City!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
philadelphia
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We recently spent several nights at The Chelsea in Atlantic City. The hotel is actually two distinct buildings connected on the ground floor by a corridor. There is the main Chelsea hotel which is a twenty story building and there is The Annex a former 5 story motel type complex. We got to experience both the hotel and Annex during our stay. We stayed in The Annex while our daughter and her family had a room in the main hotel portion. We chose The Annex portion of the complex because many of the rooms have balconies while those in the main building have none.

Like many things in Atlantic City the Chelsea complex is a little tired and shop worn. The rooms and corridors in The Annex reflect this fact to a far greater extent than those in the main hotel building. The Chelsea marketing people have decided that a way to overcome the tired look is by selling it as a charming "retro" style portion of the complex. To me, "retro" means a little kitchy and tacky in looks but well maintained insofar as the infrastructure is concerned. Unfortunately, this was not what we found. Our particular room was adequate for two adults when it came to the king size bed, chest of drawers and closet. There is a mini fridge built into the chest of drawer unit. The room had a balcony which overlooked a courtyard and swimming pool. The bathroom was a late 50's early 60's hot pink tiled affair with a bathtub/shower. It was in the bathroom that the maintenance issues were most noticeable. The handles controlling the hot and cold water in the tub/shower were loose and not easily adjusted to control the hot and cold water flow. One could easily get scalded if not very creative in figuring out how to manipulate these handles so that they provided the proper mix of hot and cold. Additionally, the bathroom sink had some issues with the drain closure not working right. Also, in the bedroom portion of the room there was apparently at one time a light fixture built in to wall. The fixture has been removed and in its' place there is an unfinished square hole in the wall. Some of you may think these items are a little picky but to me it shows a level of poor property management in a business in which your reputation brings customers.

Our daughter's room in the main building had a more modern look and was larger than our room in The Annex. The main building has a nice size pool on the fifth floor deck area as well as a fairly attractive cabana area bordering the perimeter of the pool. The level of maintenance in the main building appeared to be much greater in that building than found in The Annex. Of course, we didn't sleep or shower in that room so possible deficiencies were not apparent.

Overall, The Chelsea was a good place to stay. The location is excellent for access to both the beach and boardwalk. It's only about a half block walk from the hotel to the boardwalk and no streets must be crossed for that journey. The Chelsea is located about one block from The Tropicana Hotel and Casino and about one mile from the center of Atlantic City's piers and cluster of large hotels.

A word of caution when booking at The Chelsea. There apparently are a multitude of promotional pricing options available at this hotel. Some packages include parking, beach chairs and umbrellas, breakfast credits and some do not. We booked directly with the hotel under its' "Life is a Beach" package and got these amenities. Our daughter, who also booked directly with the hotel spent more money but got less in the way of amenities. She had to pay $ 15.00 per night for parking. I understand from talking to a number of guests at the hotel

I believe the Chelsea complex should be classified as a 2.50 to 3 star resort.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank highnoonPhiladelphia
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I have stayed here before to save a few bucks and its been OK. I stayed her in June 2014 and to be hoenst you are better off staying at an Econo Lodge. First off, the room smelt like cat litter( dont ask,) brown water came out of the tub, there was discoloration on all the tiles of the bathroom. No safe in the room, oh and our door to our room was broken (didnt realize until next morning) and my room got robbed. AND then the manager, as well as security dont even have the decency to help you. this place is the worst experience i have ever had with a hotel, and i am a pretty easy going person. DONT STAY HERE YOUR PERSONAL BELONGINGS ARE AT RISK. Oh and to add its been weeks of me trying to get in touch with the hotel in regards to the stolen items in my room and noone has the decency to call me back. POORLY RUN, POOR MANAGEMENT, DISGUSTING ROOM, NOT WORTH SAVING ANYTHING! i never leave reviews like this- but it is fully warranted for the way i am being treat by this DUMP

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chrisman7
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Upon arrival I thought I would be in the "tower" , to my surprise I was in the "annex" which looked like somewhere ....lets just say a pay by the night type of deal; it was dark and dirty; peeling paint and nasty carpet, upon stepping in the room I wished I was home; it was disgusting ; nasty; I tossed the beds; the pillow cases were dirty and the mattress pad had a not so nice huge stain; after fussing they agreed to bleach the room and bathroom which had someone elses hair on the floor ; when I came back I checked at the front desk and they advised me that they had a room with a balcony in the annex and those rooms tend to be better ; which made me laugh because why do you have rooms that you know are cleaner
We moved to this "better room" and it didn't make me run but I still wanted OUT! the fresh towels were dirty; the towels were purple hard and cheap and the white ones had stains.....our tub broke and the water wouldn't cut off!

I swear this place is horrible after trying to stay calm they offered me to move into a tower room which wasn't much better but didn't look like bates motel but at that point I didn't feel like moving again ; they gave us a 65.00 credit...ghee thanks; I could have paid the same price for the Sheraton .....

Just HORRIBLE!

DONT STAY HERE !!!! EVERRRR

oh yeah and checkout and valet was a mess; took 30 min

did I mention the chairs in the lobby were super nasty and it was at the very end of the boardwalk not prime location
The pool chairs were horrible and looked filthy

sighhhhh never again