“One of the best deals out there for a room near the Atlantic City Boardwalk”

The Annex at The Chelsea
Ranked #31 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed 29 August 2009

The Annex at Chelsea is billed as “retro-motel style” accommodations. The Annex is basically the old Holiday Inn Boardwalk hotel. The Luxe Tower and other new construction of the Chelsea was built next to it in 2008. My girlfriend and I stayed at the old Holiday Inn back in August 2007 and had a pleasant experience. Since Expedia.com was having a sale on rooms, we decided to try out the Annex.

Check-in was reasonably fast. The check-in desk was backed up at the time we arrived, so a concierge offered to check us in over at his in at this desk. Overall, the entire hotel staff was very friendly and attentive.

In going up to the room in the Annex I was quickly reminded of the old Holiday Inn by the dated appearance of the elevator interior and hallways. However, I was pleasantly surprised at the condition of the room. We stayed in the Oasis room, which has a King size bed and balcony that overlooks the outdoor Spa pool. The room had a modern king size bed with high quality bedding, a flat panel TV, modern lighting fixtures, a clock radio with iPod dock, and a mini fridge. The bathroom was still the old original bathroom, but was in very good condition and spotless. The balcony doors were old and difficult to open. These old doors need to be replaced with modern doors that offer better soundproofing for which reason I will explain below.

Guests in the Annex have access to the same amenities as guests staying in the other part of the hotel. There is a coffee shop, Teplitzky's, that is on the ground floor of the Annex that despite the limited number of selections on the menu was great for breakfast and also for quick bite while on the way out to see a 9 pm. comedy show at The Borgata.
On the day that was sunny and warm, my lady and I decided to spend the day at the rooftop pool to get in some swimming time and to sunbathe. The pool was good (albeit not heated) but the lounge chairs and cabana service was exceptional. There a full service bar on the rooftop, in addition to private cabanas that are available to guests for a fee. At night, the rooftop becomes an open air nightclub called the Cabana Club, supposedly one of the hottest nightclubs in Atlantic City. We didn't go to Cabana Club, but were able to hear some of the music in our room. This is most likely due to the old balcony doors providing no help in keeping the sound out of the room. We were able to sleep despite the minor noise, but I would caution anyone who needs complete silence when sleeping from staying in an Oasis room.

The Chelsea has valet parking which is fast and priced reasonably at $10 per day.

Overall, we had a very good experience and would certainly consider coming back, especially if the rooms rates continue to remain competitive.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 August 2009

We were also part of the mob scene trying to check-in on Sunday afternoon. The hotel was unprepared, rooms in the Annex were not cleaned and ready for check-in until well after 5pm. While our room was relatively clean, the faucet ran in the bathroom (unable to shut it off), a light in the entry way was punched out, and we also had a AC that leaked water all over one corner of the room. Public rooms and hallways were dirty. For not being open very long the hotel looked beaten to death.

The bed was the one wonderful part of the hotel... and breakfast was quite good...

We used the spa on Monday morning and had great massages, but... towels were extremely short supply, the electronic locks on the lockers failed (necessitating a call to Security to bring the key while I waited and waited).

And then we checked out. It took a long time to bring our car down and when it arrived, the handle on the emergency brake was broken- couldn't budge the car. They made noises about it being broken when we brought it in... ummm, and how did we and they manage to move the car with the emergency brake on? The manager came out, took notes, and didn't make very apologetic noises. Someone finally pulled the handle apart and we got the brake unlocked... next up is a trip to Honda for repairs... they had better be cheap because the Chelsea is getting the bill.

Won't stay there again, and won't recommend it to anyone else!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2009

They may have updated the website, but when we booked, we were under the impression that the ENTIRE hotel had been renovated. And we were told be the front desk that this was so as well when we complained about the room. Now it looks like they admit on the website that only the bed and sheets are new.

Just walking to that part of the hotel from the lobby makes you feel like the chelsea just doesn't care about guests there. The dim lighting (like they are trying to cut costs to an unused section) leads you to the dirty, damaged, graffitied elevator. The room itself was fairly clean, but holes in the ceiling, broken handles to the balcony doors etc, were just not what we were expecting. The bathroom is tiny with it's original ugly everything just a new coat of paint and luke warm,at best, shower water. I see why there are no pictures of the bathrooms from the annex on the websites.

When we complained to the front desk, the woman was very nice but... if we wanted to stay in the much nicer Tower, it would be an additional $50 per night. Which is pretty funny considering the hotel was empty- I only counted 6 other people during the 3 days we stayed there. Luckily we had dinner plans, because the Stephen Starr restaurants were closed during the week.

tried to do valet, but never saw him so we parked at the Tropicana and walked back. we were able to have the daily parking charge removed from bill.

Friends had much better rooms at same or better rate in Tropicana and Taj Mahal. BTW, tried to originally post this review on the website through which we had booked the hotel, but the review was blocked by that website. I guess they didn't like that we stated the hotel was completely misrepresented by both the travel website and the hotel's website.

Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 August 2009

Got there at 3:00 on a Saturday to check in for one night. After waiting in line for 20 minutes, was told that our room was not ready and to come back at 4:00. We left our luggage in the lobby in an open area with other people's luggage. There was a person there to monitor the luggage that was coming and going, but looked overwhelmed. We were skeptical about leaving our stuff out in the open.

When we arrived back at 4:00, the lobby was mobbed with people waiting for rooms. This time, waited in line for 45 minutes only to be old once again our room wasn't ready. After nicely explaining that we were traveling with my pregnant (seven mos) sister, and that due to the lack of air conditioning and seating in the lobby (usually there would be plenty of seating but there were about 120 people waiting for rooms, all seats taken, and luggage everywhere) she just really needed to get into a room to lay down. 25 more minutes, and we were in a room.

Had we not been traveling with an obviously pregnant woman, I can only image how long it would have taken to get in a room. There were dozens of unhappy families waiting. After a bit. several waitresses came around to offer people drinks. The drinks were not free though, so this "gesture" didn't go over so well as you can imagine.

So my sister did get to lay down for a but, but we had to leave soon after to get dinner and go to a concert. We had planned on being able to spend time at the pool/beach, but our time was taken up fighting for a room.

When we arrived back around 11:00pm, the room was sweltering... the air wasn't working. We went down to the lobby to complain, and we were promptly moved to a different room. Once in the new room I noticed that the carpet below and around the air conditioning unit was soaked, but at this point I didn't care and didn't say anything, I was just sure not to put any of my belongings near the ac unit.

On a good note, the beds were comfortable (stayed in the annex) and the hotel and rooms were very nicely decorated. The breakfast we had in the diner the next morning was above average. The location was perfect. The people who work here were nice to deal with, but they themselves were victims of the situation. As I already said, I really wanted to like this hotel, but I wouldn't stay here ever again.

After reading the hype about this hotel, I had really hoped I would be able to write a positive review, but unfortunately, the stress of not being able to check into a room threw off our entire evening. We were never offered a comp for having had to deal with all of this. I will be sending a copy of this review to the hotel directly.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2009

We stayed two nights at the Chelsea this summer visiting relatives in Long Port. We stayed at the Annex, wich I would not recommend unless you wish to save and save. Chealsea was number one in our guide book and I wonder why.
Some people there stay with 6 kid in the same room, our neighbour was watching adult film in the aftenoon and the room are not correctly insulated. Chelsea state they bring luxe back to Atlantic City, but it is not the case at the anex and the so called 5th floor is not glamour (or not mine).
Bath in our room was plugged. In the kid room it was the toilets. If you add the fact that the flush was not working properly we had a major incident causing a tremendous amound of water being poured on the floor. The manager of the Chealsea instead of presenting us his flattest apologies choose instaed to ask for $500 (how did he came to that figure I do not know). After a strong debate he said he would manage but still I am waiting for his apologies (for the water and for daring asking some money).
Swimming pools (Qty 2) are OK for the area meanning they are small. Restaurant : we tried the one near the swimming pool on the ground and it was OK The staff is friendly enough and fook correct. Satff at the reception was very nice, (appart from the "manager" from above)
As a conclusion I will never go there ever (not after what they did) but would recommend if you are on a ultra tight budget (and prepared to fight). Be also preparedf or the noise of the AC of the main building and for the cleaning lady at 8:30 in the morning.
I personnaly would pay twice the price and go to the Sheraton (avoiding the plushy casinos).

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2009

This hotel came highly recommended by an on-line travel company. The review led up to believe that it was a new hotel. The pictures looked outstanding. When we checked in, everything appeared new and fresh. As we were going up the elevator, things didn't look so great. The carpet was old and stained, and there was an odd smell in the hall. When we entered our room, it was anything but new. The beds, yes, were fairly new. The carpet was stained, the doors to the balcony could hardly slide from how old they were. The curtains were totally gross. When my friend took off her shoes (I can't believe she would even walk barefoot in this place), she noticed that the carpet was wet! The frig apparently was leaking. When I went in the bathroom, I couldn't catch my breath! It smelled like sour towels. You know the smell! The ceiling in the bathroom was all chipped and peeling, tiles broken, grout dried up on the floor, sink leaking. OMG! Get me out of here. Unfortunately, the hotel had to be prepaid from the travel company, so there was no option to change hotels. But we were determined to change rooms. So we packed up and complained at the front desk, and they placed us in another room. The carpet wasn't wet, but it smelled just as bad. We had no choice but to accept what we had. We noticed that the A/C only somewhat felt cool as long as it was on high, which was too loud to sleep in! So we kept it on low but it didn't comfort us. As a result, our clothes were damp feeling. Disgusting. Another major problem; on our second night when we were going to bed, we heard very loud piped-in music coming from the outside pool area. We let it go for a while, and then by 2:30am, we couldn't stand it anymore. So we called down to the front desk, and in just a few moments, it stopped. She wouldn't tell me where it was coming from when I asked her. On a good note, the beds were extremely comfortable. But I would NEVER stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Eyesofbuddha
Reviewed 1 August 2009

Don't go!!!!! We stayed at the annex and the elevators are like a garbage bin and scary. The floor under the furniture had not been vacuumed for months and the bathroom is hideous. We waited for more than an hour on the FULL SERVICE BEACH for chairs and towels because no one was there to take care of us and others who were waiting. Some of the other guests make it impossible to sleep as they are coming in drunk, yelling, swearing and trying to get into our room. It was scary. The staff if very pleasant but all they give you is lip service. Nothing they say ever happens. The web site says the Chelsea is a 100% non smoking hotel with one designated area on the fifth floor but people were smoking on their balconies and there is even an ashtray st the ground floor pool. So, stay somewhere else as their web site is baloney.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple