“Not the same anymore...”

Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
New York City, New York
“Not the same anymore...”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I used to love Borgata. But after my last trip you can bet I'll think twice before going again. I received comp rooms for a midweek stay in December so my boyfriend and I booked 3 nights (Tuesday & Wednesday comped and Thursday at a reduced rate of $59). We were looking forward to our stay and ready to relax and have some fun. When we got there, we were told there would be a $150 per night "Incidentals" hold placed on my credit card that would be returned upon checkout. Seriously??? I've traveled around the world and never have I had any sort of "hold" placed on my card. Ah well. At least I'd get it back right.

So we go up to our room and figure we'll spend a few hours by the indoor pool before dinner. Only when we got there the spa/pool/gym were closed for "renovations". So we asked the concierge if we could use the facilities at the Water Club only were informed that only Water Club guests could use Borgata facilities - it didn't work the same way in reverse. Ooookkkk. A notice of that when I made my reservation would have been nice.

So we lounge around in the room for a bit (I notice the bathrobes that used to be in the rooms have since disappeared) and then head down to dinner. Except the damn buffet is closed too! And will be closed for the entirety of our stay! No reason offered. No signs of any work being done. Just closed. So fine, we took our business over to Harrah's, dined at their buffet and gambled in their casino.

And finally, the casino. Borgata bills itself as young and hip but in our late 30's we were easily the youngest folks there. Blue hair abounds and there's no clear line of smoking verses non-smoking sections so no matter where you are you're pretty much breathing in cigarette smoke. There was no excitement on the casino floor at all. When we got to Harrah's we noticed an extreme difference with lots of younger folks, even on a weekday night, lots of happy sounds and celebrations and the lovely ringing of slot machines paying out.

Finally, my last issue was with the staff at Borgata. Everywhere we went, it just seemed that no one really wanted to be there. Check in was rushed - we barely felt welcome. On the casino floor when we did gamble we had to struggle to find a cocktail waitress and the one we did find seemed annoyed to be asked for service. Dinner at Wolfgang Puck's brought more bad service, including a hostess who did nothing more than talk LOUDLY to the male wait staff while stomping around in her boots and too short skirt. It distracted from what otherwise would have been a nice dinner. I think the worst staff offense though came when we were taking the elevator down to the Cafeteria section to grab a snack. My boyfriend was in front of me, turned around and gave me a hug and a sweet, quick kiss. A staff member coming up the opposite escalator loudly cleared his voice and said "Hey! Enough! Want me to get you a room?" to which I replied "Already got one but thanks". Sorry if he was having a bad day but you work in a hotel that has couples staying there. That sort of behavior is rude and frankly a little embarrassing especially when we weren't doing anything nearly as obnoxious as his tone and words implied.

Overall, the whole trip was just disappointing. I would have spent $ in the spa and the buffet. I would have gambled more if I didn't have to consistently keep leaving the property for things I shouldn't have. But I did learn how nice Harrah's is. And now with my Total Rewards card maybe next time I'm booking a stay in A/C it will be there instead.

8 Thank mitsy4400

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (856)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlantic County, NJ
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Stayed at The Borgata on Friday, December 6, 2013 for a one-night getaway. The room was wonderful and the view was spectacular! We stayed in room 3725 which overlooked the WaterClub Tower and the back bays behind Atlantic City. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was spotless. We did not gamble, but we did visit a few of the restaurants and bars. So many restaurants, bars, and clubs...it is difficult to hit them all in one night.

1 Thank NJBeachbummz
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We got this room for free as my boyfriend is a black label member at the casino.

Every single thing was perfect except for the cheap shower head. While I wasn't expecting it to be anything like Westin's heavenly shower, these people can afford to put in classier shower heads that match the rest of the room, no? Otherwise I would have given 5 stars.

Their "turbo" internet is 1.5Mbps down for $15, regular is 386kbps for $10. We took turbo, worked more than fine for general browsing as the Verizon LTE on my phone wasn't performing as well in the room.

1 Thank frugalicious
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 December 2013

If planning to stay at the Borgata over a holiday, you may want to read this first. I sent this customer complaint and was offered a free buffet dinner. I'm a rewards member and have stayed their several times--I said NO THANK YOU. Next year we'll head to Vegas or New York.
---------
Email sent to customer service after poor Thanksgiving Experience:

I typically have a very good time when I visit the Borgata, but this time was not the case. Myself and 6 other family member (we had 2 rooms) came down for Thanksgiving from Nov 27-29th. I stayed in room 711 and was unfortunately not happy with the bathroom cleanliness. We called for housekeeping twice (first time no one came; second time someone came within 20mins of the call) to have the bathroom cleaned to our standards, and comforters changed.

The next day we anxiously awaited dinner at the Borgata buffet ( only because we had children with us) and stood in line from 4:40 -6:55 pm. just to be grossly disappointed at the mediocre (at best), poorly flavored ,disappointing and in retrospect, EXPENSIVE buffet. Needless to say this was a VERY disappointing and horrible way to spend Thanksgiving with family. We had all hoped to spend time gaming and in the bars after dinner, but after that long wait for horrible food we literally went to bed and awaited check out.

We were all excited about spending time at the Borgata for Thanksgiving, but clearly it was a mistake. It turned out to be one hassle after another. We traveled in the cold rain to arrive at a poorly cleaned room, stood in line almost 3 hours (with children) for a disgusting- $33pp buffet ( over $200 total) , and to top it off I lost money at the tables and didn’t even earn one lousy comp dollar (smh). This was not a good visit (despite the table loss, I can accept that…it’s a gamble). Losing money is part of AC life, but part of the reason I usually do not mind is because the experience of the Borgata usually more than supplements with its great restaurants (even the buffet), superior clean rooms, and all around convenience. I had such a poor experience I checked out one day early and am not too certain I will be quick to return. My Caesars Total rewards comps are suddenly looking a lot more appealing

• Stayed November 2013
4 Thank sweetnsourlady
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 7 December 2013

This summer I took a long weekend trip to Atlantic City and stayed here. Its not on the Boardwalk, but I think that made it better. It was nice to be able to go downtown and hang out and then come back to my hotel. The room was lovely, the bed was comfortable, and the casino amenities were nice. It was my first casino and I enjoyed the experience. When I return to Atlantic City, I'll probably stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a City View. This will give you a view of the Boardwalk and the Ocean.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NewishToTravel
Washington
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Our room was beautiful, the staff were all very very nice, and the Borgata is definitely one of the more kept-up casinos and hotels in Atlantic City--not languishing in dying, smoke-infested 70s splendor like many of the other ones. I do have a few complaints though, and it was a bit annoying to be so isolated and have to drive everywhere if we wanted to do anything outside the Borgata, which we did--a shuttle would have been nice. And in wandering around Atlantic City, which we had never been to before, we found two other hotels we would stay in over the Borgata if we ever come back again. Our other smaller complaints:

1. They booked us in a smoking room, and it took 2 hours for them to have a non-smoking room ready for us--despite the fact that we were there in November, when they definitely could not have been full.

2. The bathroom floor had hair and dustballs in the corners. Not *hugely* noticeable, but would have been nice to be completely clean.

3. None of the restaurants in the Borgata impressed me that much, so we ended up going out to other restaurants in the city--why does it need THREE steakhouses again??

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank CCGrrl
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I rarely, almost never, give a 5 out of 5 rating as I like to give the business something to work for. But this hotel definitely deserved the 5 out of 5.

When I first started doing research on the hotels in Atlantic City I quickly figured out that I needed to prioritize my needs. Proximity to the boardwalk, Casino, Restaurants, Entertainment, Hotel Rooms, Spa’s & Transportation Options.

The Borgata Hotel in my opinion is immaculate. It’s one of the newer hotels in Atlantic City and did not disappoint.

Even though the Borgata is not on the boardwalk they provide shuttle busses into the downtown area which is practically on the boardwalk. The Casino was one big open floor area. The facility was new, it was clean and they had designated smoking areas for those that smoke and gamble. We tried a few of the restaurants which I have also reviewed but in short all were amazing. Even though we didn’t get a chance to see any of the shows we took a look at the upcoming talent and were amazed at what was being brought for entertainment. It almost seemed like a mini Vegas. The nightlife in the hotel seemed very popular and when I went on my nightly walks they always seemed busy and had celebrities making appearances on a regular basis. The hotel rooms were a good size and we had a huge window facing the boardwalk. The beds were comfy and the washrooms were clean. The Borgata Spa area was huge. I had never seen a spa area like this before and I was definitely impressed. The shuttle bus not only took you to the boardwalk but it also took you to the other hotels and all the shopping in the area.

When visiting some of the other older hotels on the boardwalk I wasn’t impressed and came to the conclusion that when I return to Atlantic City I would definitely stay at the Borgata Hotel again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family