“Horrible, management didn't care”

Baymont Inn & Suites Atlantic City Madison Hotel
Ranked #29 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Horrible, management didn't care”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This was one of the worst travel experiences we have had, and we travel a lot. A LOT. The only reason I gave two stars instead of one is because I take some blame for not being familiar with the Baymont chain. I picked my husband up at the Philly airport and we drove to AC for a long weekend. I made the plans too last minute to get the casino I wanted, so I found this place right next to the area I was planning on; I didn't run it by him since he was out of the country and it didn't seem important. Once my husband heard where we were staying, as we were driving and looking for it, he was surprised I chose it. I didn't understand what he meant at the time. The location was good and the price was similar to the other places I looked at, so it seemed okay. It was not okay. Even he was appalled, and dirt does not usually bother him.

We put the room on a credit card, but had to pay for the parking with cash only, which seemed suspicious, especially since it turns out our "parking pass" was a sheet of hotel paper with the date on it.

The two people at the front desk were friendly enough. It turns out the hotel was under renovation, which we were absolutely not aware of. It was in an apparent state of reno. We get up to our room and the door is ajar. It was clearly one of the rooms being renovated, the room was a disaster, bathrooms gutted, beds kind of sort of half made. It's late and we had quite the trip to get there, so I went back down to deal with the room and hubby went to move the car. It took a while, but they got me a second room. This one wasn't under renovation, but the bathroom was out of order and had a sign on the door from management not to use it. So we go back down to the front desk. I want to leave at this point, but the airline lost my husband's bag and it was being delivered to the hotel, so we had to stay. I questioned how badly he needed that bag, said let's just buy all new clothes, we are a stone's throw from the outlets, but we stayed.

This time, we wait for the hotel staff to find a room, go upstairs and make sure it was okay, then come back and assure us it was fine. All told, it took over an hour to check in. The third room, the "good" one, was visibly dirty. The floor was vacuumed in main paths but not on the sides of the bed or couch. Half the lamps didn't work, the bathroom door didn't shut, the bathroom tile was stained and the grout moldy, and the towels, well, let's just say I wished I brought my own. It was shockingly bad. I actually only got through the night by suggesting we just pretend we're camping.

I held off on reviewing in case corporate actually attempted to make amends, so my review could be fair. Our complaints fell on deaf ears and management wasn't interested in appeasing us in any way. They, shockingly, didn't refund us. Never again. Never, ever again.

Room Tip: Any room in another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank svsp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
New York
Reviewed 16 August 2014

This is by far the dirtiest and nastiest hotel i have ever stayed in. I paid $160 for 2 nights pretty pricey for a filthy hotel. there was no HOT water ... took 10 mins for the elevator one was broken. the staff was so rude and disrespectful and blamed everything on "Losing money" at the casinos Even though I am only 20 that made no sense. This should be shut down by the city its a shame to run a historic building under these situations.

Room Tip: nothing at all
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Alex C

Travellers are raving about these Atlantic City hotels

Reviewed 14 August 2014

The entire place was filthy. No AC, no working elevators. Feces, condoms and used needles in the stairwell. Hair in the bathroom, plumbing didn't work, stains and holes in all the furniture. We didn't feel safe in this facility! I don't know how it is legal for this to be open to the public. Pay more to go somewhere clean and safe!!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Debboy17036
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Started off: called the night before about roll away bed, they didn't have(false adv). Got there A/C wouldnt get above 73. Asked for another room i received a Queen when i pd for a king, i complained again. They nxt offered me a suite which i had to pay more $ we did it anyway w/o them offering a discount. sooo mad. Nxt morning i asked for a plunger at front desk came back in from a bike ride problem still wasnt fixed. i went to desk again(rm didnt have a phone) 45 mins later nothing(2 hrs + now) i went to another floor to my sisters rm. and found house keeping and grabbed there plunger and did it myself!!! Breakfast was a joke. Only 1 kind of milk, coffee sucked, one waffle maker for 10 ppl, no juice but an empty juice machine, mini bagels, one kind bread. Had to use the service elevator for travel to rooms-nasty!! Staff rude, not helpful. pillows and bed very comfy.

Room Tip: order suites only
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 19Amber88
Philadelphia
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Gross. This place is gross. The guy at the front desk is incredibly rude. Their elevators are broken so you have to take the disgusting service elevator (only one for the whole building). The shower in my room still had the old soap and shampoo from the last person that stayed there. They have about 4 television channels. They let anyone in for their "continental breakfast" (which is stale bagels and waffles. And a juice machine with no juice). The only good thing about this place is how close it is to the beach.

• Stayed August 2014