“This use to be my favorite” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Claridge - a Radisson Hotel

The Claridge - a Radisson Hotel
Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Atlantic City
Waterbury, Connecticut
“This use to be my favorite”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

The Claridge garage was closed the slots gone. The coffee shop closes at check out time. No mattress cover (YUCK) noisy. Elevators malfunction. Use to go for a visit 4 times a year will not go again. Talked to customer service when I got back they promised to give smething for the trouble. 11 month's and still waiting. AVOID AVOID

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Stef B
ClaridgeAC, Guest Relations Manager at The Claridge - a Radisson Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Hi, Stef.

Unfortunately it seems like your stay was when the building was in serious disrepair from the previous owners when you were here 11 months ago. We opened under new ownership and management this Memorial Day Weekend 2014 for a soft opening and we've done extensive work.

We are no longer a casino and we are working around the clock to get this building back to it's 1930's beauty. We have done quite a bit of work. We would understand that you recommend "avoid avoid" if we were still under old ownership and management...but we have made many improvements and hope that you will give OUR Claridge a chance to win your heart back.

This review would be best suited under "Casino at Claridge Hotel" which is the older, closed listing.

We do hope to see you in the future, Stef! Any concerns, etc please email us: Social@Claridge.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Czech first
East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I loved this hotel, THere wasn'ta casino inside, which was fantastic, it was the perfect distantance from the boadwalk. The veiw I woke up to in the morning was AMAZING. I plan on going to AC again every year, I plan on using Claridge each time. I am beyond pleased.

5 Thank Angela A
ClaridgeAC, Public Relations Manager at The Claridge - a Radisson Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Very excited to hear how much you enjoyed your stay, Angela! The sunrises in A.C. are pricelss and the views in the rooms can attest to that. You don't get historic parks and easy walks to the boardwalk with some places in this city...we're proud and happy you had a great time.

Hope to see you again soon!
Morristown, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I wrote a review about a month or two ago detailing my horror story with the Claridge Hotel. I wanted to update the review based on the outcome.

In May 2014 I booked a room at the Claridge for June. I was excited as I had read that the hotel had recently been renovated. The hotel opened Memorial Day weekend. I checked the reviews for the hotel and they were AWFUL. I decided that I did not want to be the hotel's test subject and called to cancel my reservation.

I asked about their cancellation policy and was told I had up until 48 hours before the reservation to cancel and receive the refund. The following is a timeline of my experiences with the Claridge.

On May 12, 2014 I booked a room at the Claridge Hotel for June 19-21. I was charged $243.96 that same day to my debit card.
On June 7 I decided to cancel my reservation. I called, cancelled, and was told I would receive my refund within 72 hours. I received a cancellation confirmation to my email shortly after the call. I was told that the refund policy is this: you have up until two days before your trip to cancel and receive your money back. June 7 is just shy of two weeks of the original planned trip.
On June 10 after still not seeing my refund, I called and was informed refunds are processed within 5-10 business days.
On June 18 I called worried that I still did not see a refund. I was directed to the Accounting department and left a voicemail message.
On June 23 I called the Accounting department again after never hearing back about my money. I reached the front desk and was informed their accounting employee was in meetings all day and had instructed the front desk to take the names and numbers of everyone who was trying to reach her. I left my information.
On June 25 I finally received a call from the Accounting department, which consists of one person named Kerry. She informed me that there was no charge listed under my name nor did she have a record of me ever cancelling or booking in the first place. I told her I had all the documents necessary to prove everything and she asked that I email them to her, which I did. On June 26 Kerry emailed me back asking that I provide a bank statement with the charge listed on it. I emailed her back my bank statement which clearly shows a charge on May 12 from the Claridge Hotel for $243.96.
On June 27 I followed up the email containing my bank statement with the receipts from the Claridge from when they charged me.
About a week later I received a call from Kerry stating that I would not be refunded the money because the Claridge had never received my money. I then asked "so where is my money then?" She then asked me if I had stayed at the hotel. NO!!!!!! I had not stayed at the hotel which she should have absolutely known. She responded saying that she thought my problem was that I had been charged twice for my room. Ridiculous. We finally arrived at the conclusion that the refund had something to do with PayPal which is how they charged me (they use PayPal to charge customers). She said she would call PayPal and get back to me. After not hearing from her for almost a week I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Finally, two days later I received my refund on July 8.

My advice to anyone considering staying here: Don't! Run far away. Spend a few extra dollars and stay somewhere else. The Trump Plaza was only $40 more total. It is not worth your time to stay here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Katherine K
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

My boyfriend and I wanted to find an inexpensive, one-night stay in AC, and came across this hotel on Groupon. We were impressed! The hotel atmosphere was great. The lobby was impressive, clean, and the front desk staff was nice. Our rooms were modern and clean as well, and the bathroom was okay. The only downside was the barely-any water pressure in the shower. It was slightly better than a trickle. Other than that, we got a great deal for our money - two free drinks (any kind, not limited to well drinks) and our two free tickets to the Edwards Twins show (in the hotel itself) was a great Groupon deal. The Edwards show was entertaining, despite being a little too young (early 20s) to know some of the old school songs that were played. Overall we were very satisfied with the easy check in and check out process, and the hotel's close proximity to Bally's (literally connected - didn't have to go outside), the boardwalk/beach, and shopping (Tanger Outlets). We accidentally parked at Bally's, which only ended up being $5 (I think Claridge self park is $8) and loved the ease of access to the beach/shopping. Would stay here again if we came to AC!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
We appreciate the kind words Natalie, we would like to take a look into the water pressure issue for sure...please email us Social@Claridge.com so we can check your room number and when you stayed in hopes to remedy the problem.

If you weren't keen on all the music from the Edwards Twins, be sure to check out our Bruce Springsteen tribute, Bruce In The USA next month if you're interested.

Hope to see you again soon, thanks again for the positive review!
new jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I loved this hotel. it is conveniently located a block away from the beach and boardwalk and it is around the corner from the Jiteny stop. The Jitney is a local mini bus that'll take you to the different major hotels for $2.25. Back to the hotel, I had a Groupon that I used so the price was reasonable. They are doing some renovations to the place so somethings are under construction but the property is very well kept up. the lobby is nice. and I think the young woman that helped me check in was Chris. She was really nice and helpful. She told us where the amenities in the hotel was located and recommended some places to eat in Ballys too. The room was nice. Very trendy. Nice view. Comfortable mattress. I had no problem with the room. The indoor pool was very nice. They have some very nice cabana style furniture. The gym is basic. A few machines. The sauna and Jacuzzi room was closed because it was under construction :^( They also have a game room, which is nice to keep young ones occupied. They do not offer breakfast, only tea and coffee during a certain time in the morning. Check out is 12 and I had went to the front desk to ask for an extension and the gentleman told me I would have to pay an additional $50 to stay til 4pm. I didn't like that. I only needed an extra 45min! When I got back to the room I called down again(think I got the same guy) and he told me the same thing again, but said he'll just waive it this time. Otherwise then that I was very pleased with the hotel and can't wait to see the new additions as they finish their renovations.

Location
      Cleanliness
2 Thank krazyray42
Thank you for the honest review!

We are indeed renovating tho the best of our ability and glad that you enjoyed your room. We will be offering room service/breakfast soon enough once we get things rolling again and we're happy to hear that the staff was overall helpful. Keep your eye on our websites and social media for updates, we hope to see you back soon!
Suffolk, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

I travel with my family about 2-3 times a month. I have stayed at the Embassy Suites to the Holiday Inn Express and this place did not even come close to those stays. The lobby may fool you but once you walk through the hotel is does not match what you see when you walk in. The moment we stepped off the elevator to our floor there was a smell of wet dog everywhere.
We noticed through out the hotel there were buckets below leaks from the ceiling. The carpets on the level we stayed on were stained and gross. Our room had dust buildup around the furnishings and in the corners. The walls were paper thin and could easily hear the other rooms. I was not aware you could ask to be put in a renovated room but on that same note they should not even be putting people in the this section. It should be closed until renovated and only offer rooms in the renovated rooms. The only positive to this hotel was its location and the staff. Moral of the story you get what you pay for. Definitely will stay somewhere else when we come back to Atlantic City.

Room Tip: From reading other reviews after the fact ask for an updated room.
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Erica thank you for the review. As honest as it was, we are glad to know what we need to work on.

With the age of our hotel(built in 1929) and the state of disrepair it was left in when we purchased it earlier this year, we definitely had our work cut out for us. We are currently renovating, have been and will continue to do so until we and everyone else who stays here is happy with it.

We hope that you will in the future give us another chance to win you over and that you fall in love with our wonderful, historic hotel.
Teaneck, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

PLease do yourselves a favor and don't stay here!!! My husbamd and I were sleeping around 11:30 pm when a "maintenance person" banged so loudly on the door,screamed about fixing the AC and then preceded to try to open the door! Thank god we had closed the latch, upon realizing we were in the room he left. We spoke to some dimwit Dave at the front desk that was useless. Then spoke to the "manager" Chris that was even more useless. He claims that "Yes, maintenance has a master key" ,,,"But they didn't have any calls logged in the system about any problems or any logs having maintenance going out, and maybe he'll check with the staff." I then asked to check the video surveillance cameras, which Chris replied"Oh yea,,ok" we never heard back after asking three times.
Please!!! Don't put yourselves in danger. I can know see why most casinos in AC are closing and why people are going to Connecticut, Pennsylvania and New York to gamble. These employees are not concerned about anything but taking home their paychecks.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 22orchard
This situation truly sounds upsetting, we are absolutely concerned with our patrons' safety when staying at our hotel. We haven't heard any related incidents like this and we are hoping that it was possibly another rowdy guest and definitely not a member of our staff. As for checking our cameras, it's usually only permitted personnel that are allowed to view such things...regardless, that is not how you should've been informed of that. We would like to get to the bottom of this.

We'd like to know the exact dates you stayed as well as the room number if possible, so we might find a trail and see how this unfortunate incident transpired. Social@Claridge.com is our email address for these issues and we hope you'll get in contact.