“Nice hotel not so nice neighborhood”

Courtyard Atlantic City
Ranked #9 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Canterbury, Connecticut
“Nice hotel not so nice neighborhood”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Atlantic City is dumpy, especially the area where this hotel is located. The hotel was clean and comfortable and the staff efficient but do not expect to go walking around on the streets safely. We were only stopping here one night as we traveled south and since it was not a destination it was OK.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank FlossEm77
Anik_GR, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Atlantic City, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Hi FlossEm77,

We appreciate you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am glad you found our hotel clean and our staff efficient. I am saddened to see that the state of the City reflected your score for our Hotel. Unfortunately, we cannot change our location but find that it's great when embraced properly. Close to a public beach, ton of restaurants, casinos and nightlife entertainment. I would love to personally help you next time you're down to find closeby activities.

P: 609-345-7070 ext. 7102| F: 609-345-5207

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Finnish first
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Nice hotel off the beaten path of Atlantic City's bustling casino area. Rooms were spacious, front desk staff was very courteous. Short walk to the boardwalk. Didn't like the fact that we had to pay $10/day for valet parking but that's Marriott in alot of locations. The free cookies in the lobby were a plus. Didn't go to the hotel restaurant but it looked full during breakfast. Overall, a very nice weekend.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank MyLife8203
Anik_GR, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Atlantic City, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for the great comments and for taking the time to share them. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your weekend and we were a part of it. We appreciate you understanding our parking policies, our parking is handled by a separate company, thus, a charge needs to be placed. It's a good, efficient and secure option when staying in Atlantic CIty. I would totally recommend it every time you stay with us. Thank you again and we look forward to your future stay.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stayed at Marriot courtyard because I had some gift certificates I won from work. When I normally visit Atlantic city I stay at one of the casino hotels on the strip so this was a whole new experience for me. I stayed in a king suite on the 17th floor which I absolutely loved. If you can upgrade to a suite do it, well worth it. The room was clean and had 2 flat screen tv's. (living room area which came with microwave and small sink and bedroom) the king suite also included a jet spa tub and separate shower. The location was out the way considering you can stay in the caesars or trump and be directly on the boardwalk, however it was only a short drive to the other hotels/casinos. valet was efficient. my ONLY con was that they placed a hold of $210 on my account I was not aware of until after the money was taken out….thought that should have been told to me before hand…they said it will go back on my account in 5-7 business days (we shall see). check out was smooth and quick…they billed me for having 2 cars instead of 1 but the minor hiccup was fixed swiftly by the front desk attendent and they refunded me back the difference. All in all great weekend stay would definitely return...

Room Tip: king suite is worth the extra money
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Latrisha G
Anik_GR, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Atlantic City, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Hi Latrisha,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your suite. We only have 4 of those, and high in demand as you can imagine. Thank you for not letting the the error on the bill affect your score. When you return, contact me so that I can block a higher floor room for you of not the suite.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

After reading all the reviews listed on this site, I had mixed feelings going into this hotel for two nights. Why I choose it was on the strength of the Marriott name. From check in to check out, the experience was quick and easy. My room was gorgeous, clean, and seemed to be recently updated. I say that because there was still painters tape in a corner of the bathroom. I only hope that after I checked out today, the cleaning staff found it and removed it. One reviewer mentioned the neighborhood, I did not see any issue with it. The Jitney lets you off right at the hotel and the area was well lit. My only complaints are: 1) upon check-in the guy (Brendan) explained the hold on my credit card incorrectly 2) my pillows were extremely soft; can be a good thing for others, to each his own and 3) during breakfast on my days I had to request clean utensils. Overall, my experience was so much better than I expected. Now, if the hold on my credit cards doesn't release properly, this will be a whole different review being as I just check out today.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Nicole,

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I am delighted to hear that you still gave us a shot, regardless of the mixed feelings. Thank you for mentioning our location and being understanding. As for charges and credit card holds, I assure you that the money will be returned automatically after 3-4 business days, This procedure is very common and you have nothing to worry about.

Shaver Lake, California
Reviewed 12 April 2014

This is a fair hotel, not quite what I expected from a Marriott. You should be cautious of this neighborhood. The room was average at best. The toilet had issues. The service was not what I am accustomed to receiving from Marriott. I have been a Platinum member for many years .I am ambivalent about a return to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hi Anthony,

Thank you very much for leaving your feedback. I am saddened to hear that you experience was not above average. We take our member's opinions very seriously and can only hope that you would give us the chance to make things up. Please contact me anytime regarding future reservations, I will personally see to it that you receive a great room without issues. Thank you again.

Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Wife and I stayed here on a recent trip to Atlantic City. We were there for one night, checking in on Saturday and leaving on Sunday. We are a gold Marriott member and we did get a bag upon arrival and check out which contained some bottle water, peanuts, and candy. We were not offered anything else and that included breakfast. On a previous stay here we were given two free breakfast passes for being a gold member. Check in was quick.

Upon arrival we used the valet to park the car as we did not plan using the car for the weekend and walking to the boardwalk which is nice walk. (about a 10 minute walk). Valet was quick and only took 5 minutes to get car when checking out.

The room was nice and worked for our short stay in Atlantic City. There was no safe in our room but we did have a refrigerator which was nice to have. The room was clean except for some stains on the chair and mold on the ceiling in the bathroom and around the shower.
Views from the room are ok if you can look past the run down houses and empty lots. Even number rooms have a better view of the ocean. Odd number rooms look directly at hotel next store.

Overall the hotel is nice but we would shop around for a better deal. If offered a deal at a hotel on the boardwalk at the same price we would take that over the Marriott.

Room Tip: Try to get an even numbered room on a high floor for the best view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank brilovett
Anik_GR, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Atlantic City, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear JANJ1225,

We appreciate your Gold membership and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed the goodie bag that was provided at check-in. Unfortunately, Courtyards do not offer complimentary breakfast. It's a brand standard that we must follow. I apologize if making an exception in the past gave the impression that it's available but we did not offer it this time.

Thank you for mentioning our efficient Valet team and cleanliness of the room. Great Tip for viewers, high floor and south side is the way to go! Contact me if you need anything at all and take care.

Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Courtyard AC. The hotel is next door to Resorts Casino and a couple of blocks to Taj Mahal. Very convenient to the "Walk" designer outlet. The Jitney stops on the corner and taxis are readily available. We were in AC to celebrate my nieces birthday so we had diversity in ages. The hotel is clean and comfortable. If you're looking for a pleasant view this is not the hotel for you as the neighborhood is not the best. The maintenance staff and maid services are good.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JANJ1225
Anik_GR, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Atlantic City, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Dear JANJ1225,

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and liked the location and staff. Thank you for leaving some great tips for readers and future guests. We look forward to your next stay with us.