“no need to stay at a more expensive hotel in AC”

Courtyard Atlantic City
Ranked #9 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed 5 August 2014

There is no need to stay at a more expensive hotel though they are certainly available. Easy walking distance to boardwalk. Good, clean rooms with good wifi. Parking is very pricey - may be general for this area

Room Tip: ask for room with a view on one of top floors
Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ExphilipX
AnikDontPanic, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Atlantic City, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Hi Exphilip,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave such a sweet review and being a Top Contributor with TripAdvisor. I am very happy to hear the great comments and am glad that you enjoyed your stay. Parking is pretty reasonable when you look at Atlantic City, hotels in Philly or NY go up to $50-$60 for parking. I would love to make the experience on your next visit 5/5!! Feel free to contact me if you need anything at all.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 4 days for vacation. I will say that we only chose this hotel because we had a Marriott gift card. The room was your standard hotel room, nothing wrong there. The king size bed was comfortable however the sheets came off every night, almost as if they were too small for the bed. The bathroom was decent and clean.

We got the breakfast buffet every morning. While it seemed a little expensive, I know that we probably would've paid more at many other breakfast places on the boardwalk and I thought it had a good variety. Food was good. The only problem was with the waffles and the coffee. I wanted a waffle, however they ran out of waffle mix and then only had flavored waffle mix (not good) so I never got my waffle. The coffee was absolutely terrible, my husband thought it tasted almost acidic. He had to walk over to the Dunkin Donuts at Resorts hotel each morning for coffee. The girls who worked in the breakfast area were nice and seemed to try hard, but did not really have a handle on what was going on. With the waffle situation in particular - they could not really answer me on whether or not there would be waffles. It was strange.

The main frustration with this hotel was the housekeeping. The cleanliness was not a problem - but time of day was. The first day, we returned to our room after being gone at the beach for 5 hours (around 4pm) and our room had not been serviced. No clean towels, bed unmade. My husband and I have stayed in hotels of all kinds, all over (although we have never stayed at a Marriott before) and have never experienced our room not being serviced by 4pm. We called the desk and they said the housekeeping staff works from 10am - 5pm and they could send someone to our room. No one showed up for over 30 minutes and we had to sit in the room while she cleaned it, very awkward. We thought this must be a fluke, so the next day we were really unhappy to return and find that our room had not been serviced again. We asked the desk again to have our room cleaned, and even went to talk to one of the maids in the hall, however she did not speak any English. Our room was not serviced until 5pm, and she did not leave until after 5:15pm. I'm sorry but this is just unacceptable. We had been gone for hours, at the beach all day and returned covered in sunscreen and sand wanting to take a shower and head out for the night for dinner. We didn't want to return to no towels and unkempt space. There is no reason why the rooms should be cleaned that late in the day. Again, I have never experienced this at any hotel. It pushed out our evening and dinner plans later than we wanted because we could not shower right when we returned to the room. After complaining again, the housekeeping staff called our room the next morning (our last full day) and asked what time we would like our room cleaned. We said anytime between noon and 3pm. When we returned to the room that day, it was done. So the hotel did take care of the situation however it was very frustrating.

I can see why people are concerned for safety walking back to the hotel at night. We found that the street that is a direct path to the boardwalk was fine during the day (to and from the beach) but seemed sketchy at night so instead we walked around the back of the hotel by the Resorts casino. This street is all lit up and didn't seem sketchy at all, and only takes about a minute more of time. I would recommend this for anyone who felt unsafe, we found this to be a good option.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jebd14

Hi Jebd14,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave such a detailed review and of course, for staying with us. I am saddened to hear that your experience was dampened due to miscommunication with housekeeping. It is true that we never take that look to get rooms cleaned but on a big turnover of rooms leaving and rooms checking in on a day can be pretty tough, even with the entire housekeeping staff working as hard as they can.

Thank you for mentioning the street side of Resorts to walk to the boardwalk. We in face do encourage anyone feeling skeptical going down South Carolina to do that. Thank you also, for still recommending us! I would love to make the experience on your next visit a 5/5!! Feel free to contact me if you need anything at all.

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Was here on a business trip and the accomodations at the courtyard were excellent. Check in was a breeze as well as the room was clean and well organized. All the amenities were there. The staff was expeditious and professional. I would and will stay here again if and when rhe situation calls for it.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
AnikDontPanic, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Atlantic City, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear NomadKnight,

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and choosing to stay with us. Thank you for short and simple review and mentioning the staff. I love to know that my effort on our Front Desk isn't going unnoticed. Very Happy to hear that you will stay with us again and look forward to it. Contact me if you need anything at all!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott in AC July 22 and 23. The hotel is not in the best 'hood but is a short walk to the boardwalk. The rooms are great. Comp coffee is well appreciated. The housekeeping staff goes well beyond to please the guests. Our 3 kids had tons of teddy bears/dolls and Sunny, our housekeeper took time to arrange them on the bed. The kids were so pleased at our return that they left her a note for the next morning. Well, guess what? She replied. They qualified the hotel as their favorite during our 8 day trip :-) Thanks Sunny!! (we hope management will share the review with her)

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Kontakk,

Thank you so, so much for the amazing comments and taking the time to share them with the world! I couldn't be happier to read that our effort didn't go unnoticed! We appreciate you recommending us as sharing tips with the readers. Please contact me for your next visit and I will do my best to make sure you are well taken care of.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

This was my first stay in Atlantic City - I usually just drive over for the day for business in Atlantic City and stay in Philadelphia (and will stick to doing that in the future). The hotel is ok - valet is excellent and reasobably priced and the front desk was very pleasant. Gym was spacious and well equipped. Room was in good condition except there was a smell of food in the mini fridge, white specs on the carpet near the window that looked like it had fallen off the ceiling, and the air conditioner initially wasn't blowing cold air. I ended up cutting the AC off for a bit and it must have frozen up because it started working fine after that. The hotel is several blocks off the boardwalk and it is in a rough looking area - I would not walk there at night. Service at breakfast was a bit slow.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Top Contributor,

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and choosing to stay with us. Thank you for mentioning almost every aspect of the hotel and letting us know that our service isn't going unnoticed. I could not help but feel that we can definitely offer a better experience and can only hope you give us another shot. would love to make sure that 3 becomes a 5 on your next visit! Please contact me if you need anything at all. Thank you again.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

As others have noted the area surrounding the hotel is a bit unnerving at night but you probably are not walking around here at night anyway, rather just coming to the hotel for a good night of sleep. Mike at the front desk is efficient, pleasant and as it turned out, very helpful. I asked if he could find me a nice quiet room and he told me they have strict rules on noise in the hotel. As bad luck would have it, I ended up in a room next to some rowdy young women. A call to Mike at 12:30 a.m. took care of that in a hurry! The rest of the night was relatively quiet even on the second floor overlooking the street.

There is no bistro like other Courtyards so that was a bit of a disappointment. But they do have the Courtyard breakfast (like most Courtyards did before the bistros) and they have a small lounge that serves drinks until 11:00 p.m. There is a lot of seating in this area that is for anyone, not just people drinking at the lounge and there is also a small "office center" in this area as well with computers you can use. The furniture in this area is really showing its age/use. But I will say it was perfectly adequate for a tcon/webex meeting I had to attend after checkout!! And of course the internet is free.

The room was very clean, modern and really quite comfy! They come with a mini-fridge and coffee maker, a large flat screen television and a really large bathroom.

They only have valet parking but I think that may be standard for the area. It is $12.84/night and the valet guys are great.

I gave this 4 stars for the lack of meals in the evening and the valet, (and no recognition of gold status) but would absolutely recommend it to anyone and if I come to the area again would gladly stay there!

Room Tip: The higher floors will probably help avoid street noise though it is not too bad on lower floors.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank cujo31

Hi Cujo31,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review and being a Gold Member with us. I can see why you're a Top Contributor, that was a very detailed feedback and mentioned a lot of important things. I am saddened to hear that your Gold Membership did not get recognized. We appreciate you sharing you such great comments about Mike. I would love to make the experience on your next visit 5/5!! Feel free to contact me if you need anything at all.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Okay..so this was a getaway stay in AC...our first time to the area. It is not, I repeat not in a good area. I would NOT bring my family here for a stay. (I am a mother of 3 adult children)The walk to the boardwalk is very unappealing and it's possible to encounter homeless and non-tourists. I did not have fear because every time I was walking to/from , I was with my spouse. However, if I had to do business in the area, this is a great Courtyard!
The best part was the welcome service at check in and the requested quiet room. We slept great every night! Valet is only option. No bistro, but complementary coffee. If I were to return to area for a fun trip, I would look into the Revel, Borgata or Tropicana.

Room Tip: South side, high floor, non-adjoining room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ChaCha1123

Dear ChaCha1123,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am glad you had a good stay and saddened see that our location took such a big hit on our score. Thank you for leaving a great tip for future guests. I hope you give us another shot and take the location for what it is. We are close by many restaurants and casinos.