“Good Stay...they try harder in Atlantic City”

Bally's Atlantic City
Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Atlantic City
ithaca,ny
“Good Stay...they try harder in Atlantic City”
Reviewed 4 July 2011

This was my tenth (or so) time staying at Bally's in A/C. It was a two-day jaunt, having been lured there with some generous offers of free slot play, free dining, spa credit, and gift cards. I've been tempted to try one of the Garden or Dennis Tower rooms just to see what they are like, but in the end, always choose the Bally's Tower since I know the room will be good (if not great).
Room 4639 was fine and located just off the elevator (good for me). The room had two queen beds, sitting area, expansive view of the marina, and large bathroom with shower/tub combo. Apparently, this room can also be leased as a two bedroom suite and connects via a door (locked).
My only complaint about the room was that the people in the adjoining suite were apparently smoking an "illegal substance" which was noticed by myself very quickly (I put towels at the base of the adjoining door on day one), but was only noticed by hotel security after a full 48 hours. On day three of my stay, I had just gotten out of the shower and dressed when a loud knock was heard on my door. I opened it to find FIVE hotel employees (one from the front desk, several security, one maid) who wanted to inspect my room for the offending substance. After a quick walk in, Front Desk Man determined that my room "wasn't the one" so they apologized and left. In the end, it wasn't that much of an inconvenience, but I thought later how much different it would have been had they arrived thirty minutes earlier (me, in the shower).
Other than that, this was a great visit. I find that the games are more generous, the staff more accommodating and the perks are better in A/C than in Vegas. At my last meal (Six Bistro), I was using a $75 comp. I had a steak, salad, desert and even a sandwich to go, but still found myself with $20 of extra money at check out. In Vegas, they would have just sent me on my way...not so here! The check out lady told me I still had money to spend and offered me a selection of pretzels, drinks or candies to take home. Nice touch.
The Bally's central location on the Boardwalk can't be beat. Gaming is varied and the easy covered walk to Wild Wild West and Caesars makes it that much better.
The spa remains nice but was populated with lots of kids this time. It has a pool, several hot-tubs and sunning patio (with bar) overlooking the ocean. On my dates, there was a $20 per person fee to use the pool and spa facility. For $40, you can get the herbal wrap (30 minute treatment) and use the pool and spa for free, so that's what I did and was not disappointed.
I left a tiny bit lighter in the wallet, but had a nice relaxing stay and enjoyed myself.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank gotarheels
BallysAC, Public Relations Manager at Bally's Atlantic City, responded to this review, 22 July 2011
Thank you for choosing Bally’s Atlantic City for your recent stay! We're so pleased to hear that you've enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Bally’s in the near future! Thank you for being our guest!

Atlantic City Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,177)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 2 July 2011

Even if its free, do not stay at Claridge towers which is part of Ballys Atlantic City. Go to Borgata or harrahs or ceasers instead.

Cons:
Bathroom is very old. Pink tub, cracked shower tiles, dirty grout.
Windows are very old, and small.
Poor worksmanship for the
"remodel." Pictures are crooked,
paint job is shotty.
People staying here are very rude, and not savory. ghetto central.

Pros:
King size bed in room 2057 is clean
and very comfortable.
Average oceanview.
Flat screen tv.

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank valeriex0x
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent trip to Bally's Atlantic City. Your comments are very important in helping us to ensure that the services and products we provide to our guests are constantly improving to meet and exceed your expectations.

Please know that we read every comment and listen to what our customers are saying. We value all feedback provided as a means of monitoring and enhancing the service we offer here at Bally's Atlantic City. Our goal is to provide a warm and hassle-free experience for all guests, so it is always disappointing when we hear otherwise.

We would like to address your specific concerns and ensure we make the appropriate changes that will not only meet but exceed your expectations. Please feel free to email us at harrahstripadvisor@harrahs.com. We do look forward to hearing from you about your stay.

Travellers are raving about these Atlantic City hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 30 June 2011

We stayed at Bally's for 2 nights and had the best time!

Check-in started off smoothly....we got there right at 4:00pm when it opened. At first the line was long, but after we realized we could self check, we got our keys with no problem.

Our room was in the Dennis tower/7th floor. The room was amazing! Comfy bed, relaxing shower, flat screen, clean with modern decor....couldn't ask for a better room. There wasn't much of a view, but we were told up front that there wouldn't be one. The only complaint I had was that the walls were pretty thin, and you could hear some noise from the hallway. Luckily I had a corner room with little traffic, so this was never a huge problem.

The buffet was great for breakfast and dinner (highly recommend seafood night).

Loved having inside access to Caesars and the Pier shops/restaurants, and casinos. You never had to step foot outside to go from one hotel to the other...the best of both worlds! All the amenities of Caesars for a cheaper price.

The bars and casinos were fun. It looked like they are in the process of updating some slot machines....and there is a 24hr bar that was always packed.

You can't beat the location on the Boardwalk. You are dead smack in the middle of all the action.

Overall we had a great time and will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Bynumkid

Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 June 2011

My husband and I spent one night with another couple at Bally's. I made our reservations for ruby rooms. I handled it for both rooms so I could easily convey that we wanted the rooms to be near each other. When we arrived I checked into one of the rooms since the other was not ready yet. Once we found it and walked in I felt like I was back at the brady bunch home with gold colors and a very old room. Obviously this was not the ruby room since that room was suppose to be new and red. We paid extra to have the nicer rooms. We were only there one night and I spent a good amount of time comparing online before I made any original reservations. It was informed and deliberate choices I had made. I got onto the phone to try an clarify the situation. It was not easy to find the room in the claridge tower and we were up on th 11th floor. I was very frustrated that the front desk couldn't seem to help me. One woman said she had no idea what room I was in since she'd never been up there. She connected me to another person who after I relayed the situation she said she'd put a supervisor on the phone. No one ever came back on the line. I remained on hold for over 15 minutes. We stopped off at the check in to try to remedy he situation. The supervisor told me I could move to a ruby room but the two ruby rooms we could have were not even in the same towers of each other. She said that people have different perceptions of the rooms. My perception or opinion of the room being terribly ugly is beside the point. Its not what I reserved or paid for otherwise I would of needed to deal with it and know for next time. She gave us a better price on the ugly rooms and explained they were bigger than the nice new ruby rooms we had observed and they had a hot tub in th room. The discount was not big enough for the room. No one in our group really wanted to change rooms at this point and then be way spread out so we kept the old room we had and already had our stuff in and then took the other ugly old room on the same floor for our friends.
Trying to make the best out of the situation we were going to use the hot tub since it was a bonus to the room. The jets didn't work and the supervisor had even specifically told us they worked in the room we were in but not in the other room. Since they were so old they turned off most of the jets in those rooms but ours was still on. Well it wasn't but at this point not much to do about it. Walls very thin. They way our room was angled the adjoining room to ours you could here all conversation, laughing etc. So we fell asleep with the tv on around 1am. Then when we were woke by 6am with more talking I tried turning on the fan part of the thermostat for some background noise. It helped a little. We will never stay there again. It was so poorly run. Sometimes someone drops the ball but then it needs to be fixed and it couldn't be. I was told it wasn't possible. The supervisor said the woman who had originally checked me into the one room should of explained the rooms weren't what we reserved in the first place. Several opportunities lacking communication.

Room Tip: triple confirm before you arrive
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank westmanfamily

Allentown, Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We've been staying at Ballys since the late 1980's. In all that time it has always provided a comfortable and mostly enjoyable experience. A few mentions:

-The best rooms in the house are the Ballys Tower - large and luxurious. Be sure to confirm that you will get this type of room if that is what you are reserving. During this most recent stay, we reserved a "premium" room (which showed a picture of a tower room on the reservation) but were instead provided a Garden Tower room in its place. Garden tower rooms are nice, but not quite up to the Ballys Tower.

-If you end up in the Claridge Tower, request a room in the western part of the building. This section of the tower was added in the late 70's when the building was converted to a casino hotel. The bathrooms in this part are reasonably sized, as opposed to many of those in original tower section which was built in the 20's.

-Ballys is a mismash of interior and exterior design styles - alternating between traditional, old west, and contemporary. They appear to presently be on a contemporary kick for room and hallway renovations. Nothing bad about this, but worth mentioning.

-We were a little disappointed regarding restaurants. Pickles, the boardwalk facing deli, has greatly abbreviated their menu. Hopefully this isn't a sign that Pickles will soon be a thing of the past. Animations, an enjoyable coffee shop restaurant, is now gone.

-Don't miss the Spa at Ballys, one of the best pool and excercise facillities in the city. We were very pleased to find the pool and hot tubs at a very comfortable temperature.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
8 Thank WK9090
Bensalem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 June 2011

They are now passing off the Claridge Tower as an "upgrade" and calling it "Ruby Rooms." They have the same plumbing and moldy caulking as the old room. There was dirt everywhere. I don't think the mirrors were ever cleaned. We were going to stay 2 nights but left the next day.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mama_C_215
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 June 2011

This was my first time staying at Bally's and I will never do it again. I was heading down with a group of friends and one of our friends was arriving earlier. Our friend who made the reservation called to see if his borther could check in without him. He offered to fax them a written permission form but they refused to let anyone check in until he arrived. I've worked in event planning for years and this is the first time I have ever encountered this.

We were really looking forward to the weekend and spent ALOT of money on our room only to be put in the "Claridge Tower". This is a clean but very dated and SMALL tower. It's equiped with a minature pool that they charge you $10 per person to use which is kindof insane considering how much we had spent on our room.

When we arrived at the hotel I unloaded our bags onto a luggage cart and brought them up to the lobby. My friend was already waiting in a line (about 20 people long) to check in. There was only one person checking people in unless you were in their diamond club where there were five people to assist you. So needless to say, we were waiting a long time. While I stood with our cart a bellman came up and said I couldn't use the cart unless I was going to pay them to take my bags up. I said no thanks and he unloaded all of our bags into the middle of the lobby.

We shook this off and were determined to have a good time anyway. Everytime we caleld ownstairs for service or tried to reach the concierge for info about the area we had to sit on the line with the phone rining for at leats 5-10 (no exaggeration) minutes (one time there was even a recording that told us all lines were busy and to try back at 10:30 at night) before someone would answer at which time they were short and rude. They took almost two hours to deliver an extra blanket the one night meaning that they were knocking on our door around 1:00AM which is completely unacceptable.

Our air conditioning in the room was inconsistent and hard to control sometimes making the room freezing and sometimes too hot when it was always set at the same temperature. There was no vent in the bathroom so when you showered the humidity stayed in the room. We didn't spend much time in the room but what time we did spend was not very comfortable.

Overall I would say it was a huge let down for somewhere that claims to have so much to offer. I don't know if other casinos in AC are any better but I would never reccomend Bally's to anyone.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends