“Bally's is in a Coma and Nearly Dead”

Bally's Atlantic City
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed 7 July 2012

We've been going to Bally's for years and always enjoyed the perks as Diamond Members. Over the past year, more and more corners have been cut. I was shocked to see that all of the slot machines have been removed from the Claridge and the Wild Wild West. The slot machines that remain are very tight. Virginia City Buffet closed June 17 and there is nowhere to get a good breakfast without spending a fortune. The food prices have increased and the quality has decreased. The July 4th Party was bare bones with no party favors (hats, pins, etc) and a sparse amount of food that wasn't enough for all of the attendees. The room had a lovely ocean view but there was nothing on the bed except for white sheets and white pillows but the bed was comfortable. The bathtub drain was so clogged that water was nearly knee deep before I finished my shower. I called for a plumber but none came to fix the problem. The room was not as clean as it was in prior years and the bathroom needs work.

There are newer reviews for Bally's Atlantic City

Reviewed 6 July 2012

Our family (3 of us) decided to go on a mini vacation and booked a room for 7/2/12 for 2 nights at Bally's. We never stayed there before, thought we try it since the price was right. What a mistake! They put us in the Claridge next store room 1023. Soon as we got off the elevator there was a musty dirty smell. Our room even had an odor like it was dirty. Bathroom was okay but the shower curtain has seen better days. The whole place needs a good wash down, maybe a steam cleaning. Bed didn't feel clean either. Also the 2 beds are just double beds not queen size. I was very surprised Bally let the hotel get to this point, run down. The only thing that was good was the TV and refrigerator. There was a cart 4 doors down from us of eaten leftover food in the hallway on a room service cart. It had been there for 2 days now. I called to have someone remove it since it was attracting fly's. We definitely never stay here again.

Room Tip: 10th floor didn't smell very good. Our room 1023 overlooked the lot where the Sands use to be.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank glennsaddress
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Booked a last minute pre-Fourth of July weekend getaway here online. While I had a good time, I think this place, at least the Claridge, needs some renovation. I have no complaints about the service, which was good. Room was cleaned thorougly on a daily basis. Front desk was helpful too. It just seemed to me that the rooms themselves and the elevators could use a facelift. The location of the hotel is excellent: right on the Boardwalk and beach. Beach was a pleasant surprise. Much less crowded and noisy that I would have though. Casino was a standard casino, which was fine with me. If I come here again, I will try not to book the Claride, though, which seemed kind of dead, even the pool was not filled not in working order. The main hotel is probably the way to go.

1  Thank tbrad82
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We have been coming to Ballys for 15 years. We generally come once a month as it is a 6 hour drive for us.
This is the third stay in two months that we have been totally dissatisfied with Ballys. There is a long, laundry list of problems with the hotel.
The rooms are beat up with stains on the carpets and chairs. There is black mold in the bathroom. We were charged for a 24 hour Wifi service which we did not use but my husband didn't argue. ( The worst part is the service is $12.99 per day. We get free Wifi in any other hotel we stay in.)
There are two working elevators in the Tower. They were not working a month ago either. However with the 4th of July crowd it was a total disaster. The wait for an elevator was almost a half hour with people flinging themselves in front of me to get on. I had my four young granddaughters with me. I got them on and people shoved me out of the way. I couldn't get on the elevator! I forced myself into the packed elevator. There were no security people around to control the crowds.
The last time we were here the free offers were not working. The video poker area is so hot that most people just leave. They have removed many of the poker machines including three banks of progressive bonus poker which was extremely popular as they did pay off. There are few new machines on the floor.
The next time we will stay at Harrahs or Caesars. I am done with this place.

5  Thank Linda D
Reviewed 3 July 2012 via mobile

My mother and I stayed here the first week in June our room had a beautiful ocean view and it was in walking distance to the outlet mall and other casinos.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Vegas_Girl702777
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in June 2012, when we arrived at the Hotel it was completely disorganised. There was a queue for checkout and a separate sign for check-in, some of us lined up at check-in and staff saw us standing there but ignored us, we had to join the checkout line to be served. When we checked in we were not provided with any information except that breakfast was available on the 6th floor, I asked what the cost was and she replied "I don't know but it isn't very much" - needless to say we did not even consider it. Our room was actually very nice, quite spacious and clean with an ocean view. It is annoying that the hotel does not offer anything free for it's guests. Everything is an additional charge including internet. On a positive note the hotel is well located on the boardwalk and we were able to walk everywhere and thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Atlantic City.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Clarence d
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Stayed here on June 30th for one night....the rate was pricey but since it was a Saturday night I figured I was not going to get anything cheap......I had room 4235 which had a spectacular view of the beach and boardwalk....and that was about it. I asked for a King bed room and got 2 doubles. Was told I would need to wait an hour for another room (it was 4pm already!). Room also had a "cigarette like odor" to it which was annoying....not strong but definitely was there.....I opened a drawer and sure enough there were ashes inside the drawer! But like I said, the view was stunning and we were only there for 1 night to sleep (went to a concert). But this floor needs a desperate makeover!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends