“Expected worse”

Harrah's Resort Atlantic City
Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I have stayed here many times in the past and can attest to the slow decline. My last stay and room were barely acceptable....broken down furniture and poor maintenance but at least clean. Recent reviews about uncleanliness had me worried. With hesitation I agreed to a gambling junket earlier this month and was pleasantly surprised.

Check in had no line (special set up for our group) and took less than 5 minutes. I stayed in the Marina tower. My room was large and very clean, The king size bed was very comfortable and I slept great! Noise was not an issue. Room service was pricey but good.

The casino was clean and relaxed and I loved ordering drinks directly from the machines. Those machines were extremely tight, though, and I saw very little action anywhere around me. And, of course, it felt like you had to spend a thousand dollars to earn enough comp for a hot dog.

My overall experience was probably more like a 3 but I gave it a 4 in comparison to other casino hotels in town.

I'll probably return and try again some day but the AC experience is beginning to lose its allure. If they want to pull in the Pennsylvania crowd they need more draw.

Room Tip: I don't know, it seems to be hit and miss regarding maintenance and housekeeping.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ANNIEPG
Write a ReviewReviews (19,629)

Reviewed 27 November 2013

The room was much better than expected. The bathroom was large and updated. The shower was very large with a seat in it However, no wall support bars and the shower head is not handheld. We stayed over a Sunday night. Some line for checkin' but not too bad. Would recommend valet parking, we didnt and walking was the length of the casino to bring bag in from the self park garage. For both lunch and dinner we ate at Bill's. We wanted to go to the Steakhouse but saw that a la carte steak started at $40 +dollars. No thanks. All in all it was fun and would stay again.

Room Tip: room 41085 has a nice view! However it is RIGHT under the outdoor neon sign. A thin line of neon vis...
Reviewed 26 November 2013

The good: midweek rates are hard to beat (about $50 per night, including taxes); far from crowded Boardwalk; nice walkway with the views of Brigantine Bridge, marina and marshes; plenty of parking; spacious room; indoor pool; easy checkout (just follow the directions on room's TV)

The bad: dirty; paper-thin walls in the room; can't swim in the pool - it's basically an oversized jacuzzi; horrible buffet (expensive too); long check-in lines

The meh: gambling and shopping. Nothing special

We stayed at Harrah’s on 11/17-19 (Sunday through Tuesday)

CHECK-IN
We read a lot about long check-in lines there.
Hint: get in line just after 3 PM. If you do it earlier you’ll get hit with early check-in charge. If you do it closer to 4 PM – the line will increase exponentially.
We went there at 3:15 PM, it took us about 40 minutes to get to the counter. By 4:15 PM the line grew 5 times - all the way to the valet parking entrance.
By 7:30 PM there were only couple people left in line, but if you check-in after 8 PM – you’ll risk losing your reservation.

ROOMS
Marine and Atrium towers are closest to the pool and to the construction site (they are building a new convention center). A lot of noise, I imagine.
Harbour tower is the furthest from both and probably is the most quiet. We stayed there. Closest to the casino and self-parking garage too.

The room is spacious with a good bed, coffeemaker, small fridge, TV (no cable), good separate bathroom (no see-through doors) – not a single problem.
Except, everything was DIRTY. We expected it reading other reviews, just didn’t expect it to be that bad. Bring your slippers – you can’t walk barefoot on that floor. In fact, you can’t take a shower barefoot – you’d risk to catch something bad. It’s a common problem across the entire resort – it’s dirty everywhere, even on a casino floor. Looks like they are cutting down on maintenance.
Walls in the room are paper-thin, expect to hear your neighbors. We got lucky with ours – not much noise.
We stayed at room 727 overlooking Brigantine Bridge. Would’ve been a nice view if the window was clean.

BUFFET
Horrible food, very expensive ($46 per person). They had some nice ingredients (shrimp, crab legs, meats, etc), but managed to spoil most of them. Mushy shrimp, tasteless crab meat, paella was so salty – it was impossible to it. Waste of money. Quite unexpected.
If you are driving, just bring a trunkful of food – there is a mini-fridge in the room.

POOL
It’s not really a pool – just an oversized jacuzzi . Good for relaxing-drinking-socializing, bad for swimming.

WALKWAY
Pedestrian path going on around the casinos in the area (from Borgata to Golden Nugget). Nice views, easy to walk.

CASINO
Nothing special. Slot machines, poker tables, whatever. People who are into this will keep themselves occupied, no problem.

CHECKOUT
Took us a couple minutes. Literally. There is an option in room TV’s menu – just follow the on-screen directions and you are all set.

Room Tip: Stayed at room 727 in Harbour Tower. Far from construction noise and nightlife in the pool. View of...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank igost
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Rooms are very good in the new tower.
The weekdays rate have a very good value in terms of price and quality
You can get rooms starting from $33 to $60 however weeends are too expensive.

Its good for couple for Family there is no activities for kids and the kids area is closed.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Just back from a weekend stay at Harrah's. While the room was somewhat clean, and the staff very friendly and helpful, the room and hotel was quite not up to par. We were in Harbor Tower room 523, and on first sight the room looked fine, but when we came back up for the night all of the problems started to come out. On our way back to the room we bought a $2.00 CAN of soda from the vending machine that was very warm, I don't think the machine was plugged in to keep it cold. I went to get some ice for our warm sodas, came into the room and put the ice in the sink, and pulled up the stopper, the sink broke! The stopper would not come back up all weekend long. The chair in the room looked as though someone had gotten sick on it and no one cleaned it up properly YUCK! Our room was not easy to open, the card reader was not reading right and it took several tries to unlock the door. The worst of the weekend were the loud people in the room next to us, playing loud techno music, and from the sound of it, re-arranging the furniture until 3 am.

We came across many broken elevators over the weekend, as well as the escalator to the parking garage. If one of these things happened during our stay it would have been a non issue, but so many during our stay it it became annoying. We don't spend much time in our room, but it would have still been nice to be able to enjoy it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nxrcks
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Sorry this would not be the hotel to stay in for me on a Friday in Atlantic City I purchase it Friday package from Travel Zoo but expected much better. The room were dark and brown and the carpet was dirty. I left the do not disturb sign out side on my door but the housekeeping staff banged on the door to ask me if I had a late check out what was the purpose of the sign????. They did not have a choice of many good places to eat. My daughter order a in house movie for $4.99 when I got the finally bill the charge we over $18.00 dollars for one movie. If that wasn't bad when I went back to them to correct it. They had the hardest time giving me a print out with their correction. The only thing I saw that was interesting was their pool party. Sorry cannot rate this A or B . I stayed in the Water Tower I would give this a "C". I have a another coupon for this hotel but I think I would rather not go.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

First of all, they no longer take care of the property like they used to. Talking to the staff that we have come to know very well, we're told the cutbacks are killing them. Sounds a lot like what happened at the Tropicana. Let me tell you, the place has become second rate. Like another reviewer has stated, vaccuuming is almost non-existant by the elevators, including in the Bayview and Waterfront Towers. We've seen then same cigarette buts for a week along with paper all over. The elevators themselves are in deed gross with fingerprints all over. if your looking to make phone reservations and are connnected to what seems like a central department that makes restaurant reservations, be prepared to spend way too much time on the phone. Talk about frustration!! It took 20 minutes to make a reservation for 2 consecutive nights at the same restaurant. If your in the hotel on the night (s) that the kids are there to go to the pool to see some DJ; be prepared. They are rowdy, they congregate and don't move! They make so much noise while in their rooms and could care less what time it is. The management makes no attempt to rein them in whatsoever. Apparently Harrah's is looking for this demographic and is obviously willing to forsake the guests that have been coming there for years. Looking for a coffe shop, good luck unless your there on the weekends. Thank god for Tazza. For those that like a pool; that too is not like it used to be. I'm referring to the adult pool opposite Sammy D's.......Let's talk about the Buffet. Used to be the best in AC. They are now overpriced and definitely not as good. The Steakhouse used to be our favorite but they too have become way overpriced. It's as if Harrah's thinks that they are a high end venue. Maybe management should take a look at the Borgota and Revel, both places we have stayed at. Last but not least I want to talk briefly about some of the employees. It used to be no matter who you ran into, you were greeted with a smile and a willingness to assist you with whatever you needed. With the exception of those few staffers that we have come to know, the staff looks like they want to be somewhere else. What does that say about the Harrah's? My wife and i haver come to a crossroads. Do we stay with Harrah's or do we take our business across the street? We have been coming to Harrah's so long we cannot remember however the decline is almost too much to deal with......

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple