“OK Hotel but not five star hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel W.A. Mozart

Hotel W.A. Mozart
Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Opatija
Zagreb, Croatia, Europe
“OK Hotel but not five star hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

I was on a business trip in the river, and the reason why I stayed in the Hotel Mozart in Opatija, because I've got Mozart at the same price as you would in Rijeka got a hotel with three or four stars. The hotel is nicely renovated building from the early 20th century, the hotel is decorated in the style of the early twentieth century, the hotel is stylish. But I have expectations of more than five-star hotel! I was placed in a double room and I can say that the room size was just right for two people, so I can not say that it was something particularly spacious. All night occasionally lit ventilation and it's a little disturbed my sleep, the beds are optimal hard / soft. The bathroom was clean but without style. Breakfast I was too easy somehow at the hotel with three stars, I think that it is not enough to offer a bit of caviar and salmon to justify five stars. Hotel I booked through Agoda and published on the website price was € 71 which was the best among similar sites (Booking, Venere) the only thing I was unpleasantly surprised that I am in the process of shopping had to pay city taxes and Agoda we collected 7 euros, Although i know that city tax is 7 HRK (€ 0.95) and so the outskirts Agoda price equalized with other sites (Booking, Venere). Opatija is a beautiful town home with a touch of luxury, it reminds me of the Monte Carlo. Especially it was nice to visit in the spring and would recommend it to people who want to feel a mild Mediterranean climate. The beach is located just outside the hotel, the beach is concrete. 5-6 km further there are beautiful beaches in Medveja and Moščnička Draga.Opatija has a beautiful promenade and many people enjoy walking along the sea.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
bijeljina, bosnia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

My company hired the whole hotel for important business venue. Everything worked well and the host and its staff were competent and timely in providing all of the technical solutions to the meeting. We spent three nights in the hotel, and had meals arranged as well. Hospitality was great and my opinion is also shared by more then 30 participants in the venue.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Tel Aviv
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

We stayed there with Spa-offer, which gives us HB occupation with 1/2 hour massage for each.
Alghought we've got a small room with balcony - just above the Hotel Entrence - altogether it was a great deal. They have parking near the Hotel for about 10 Euros p/d. Reasonble price for Opatija hotels. We traveled all around Istria staying there and it was a good choise.

Room Tip: Standart rooms are too small and if you're coming with luggage for more than 2 days - try to get...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank VitalyRoz
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

We received a very friendly welcome at the Mozart Hotel when we visited recently for a business meeting. This is a fairly small, charming hotel in a turn of the century villa. The bedroom was lovely with a small balcony and a view over the sea. The beds were very comfortable and we slept well. The bathroom was well equipped with a bath as well as a shower. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice and a good choice of teas. We also ate a buffet lunch here provided for the business meeting. Again the range of food provided was good, although as some dishes were emptied they were not replenished as quickly as they might have been.

Overall I would recommend this hotel as a pleasant relaxing place to stay in a ceentral location.

Room Tip: Bedrooms at the front have a lovely view over the lido.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Bow, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Stayed here on a driving tour of the Western Balkans. Each floor has three waterview rooms with balconies--the rest are in the back, some with side views of the water and long promenade. Corner front rooms are biggest and best. Center rooms are very small, with very small bathrooms. Service was good, breakfast excellent--lovely courtyard breakfast room. Parking is just around the corner. Good wireless in rooms. Bed a bit old and lumpy...but tons of atmosphere in the hotel and a lovely town--much overlooked! We stayed an extra day.

Room Tip: Ask for a CORNER front room--they are bigger.
  • Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Ljubljana, Slovenia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

A hotel that used to be 5* some time ago. Maybe... Another example of attitude we encountered in South-Eastern Europe before (Bulgary, Montenegro) - owners seem to think that once you got a structure more or less suitable for tourists to live in, at premium location near the beach, you luck is fixed and you shouldn't care about anything else.

Two good things -
1. location - definitely one of the best ones in the area, almost right in the center of Opatija town, really 1-2 minutes away from anything you need - beaches, parks, shops, bus station, tourist agencies, restaurants etc. In Opatija, which is stretched by 4-5 km along curved shorline, it matters. Also, we benefited a lot from a small artificial sand beach which was 200 meters from the hotel door - generally, in Opatija there are no sand beaches.
2. receptionists - Ksenija and Edi were very helpful during reservation and also when we needed to change it. Overall Reception Desk services were at least not less than average.

Unfortunately, the rest was one big failure consisting of small ones:
1. when we arrived, there were some angry people at reception who had trouble settling in - they made their reservation through agencies, including well-known one, and ... it didn't happen, they had to go look for other hotels. We made reservation directly to hotel and that's probably why we had no probs other then waiting 5-7 minutes while reception was trying to appease those unlucky ones. Conclusion 1 - if you go here, book directly with hotel.
2. kitchen is getting closed at 21:00 so we were not offered a selection of room service menu, just some cold plate.

3. breakfasts - or, rather, problems with breakfasts - deserve a special chapter. I never seen a breakfast so poorly organized in any 5* I've been - in fact, a lot of 4* I've seen, had better breakfasts as well. Selection was not big, and a lot of plates were not freshly laid (carryover from previous day). We tried to order pancakes twice and both times it was more then 30 minutes of waiting (I am not a cook at all, but I know can make 10 pancakes sooner than that). They were offering other things for special order but we didn't take chance. They are giving roses to female guests, one for each, every morning at breakfasts, but one shift was giving us three roses (my wife, her mom, and my daughter) and the other shift was only giving two (to the adult women) - needless to say, how frustrated my 6 year old daughter was every time she didn't receive a rose! Parents know, how hard is to feed anything to a frustrated young lady, and how bad-tempered kids become if they are not fed well in the morning.

Hot water pot was not hot or empty half of the time. On one occasion, the coffee machine was not working and hot water pot was empty. There was also no one there, so I went to the kitchen and together with a cook we went looking for an attendant. We found him right across the street (!) peacefully eating his own breakfast (!!) He was not really disturbed at the news of coffee-machine being out of order ('It broke" he admitted). As if we should care, in a 5* hotel, is it broken or not - we just needed our coffee or tea at least!

Cups were not clean at all. When my wife made an abrupt comment about it on the 3rd morning, they explained that dishes are only as clean as the dishwasher washes them (any1 who had a modern dishwasher knows that dishwashers are able to make things really shine with whightness, provided one uses the right powder and places the dishes into machine in a proper way), but we later saw them taking all the cups and plates from the breakfast area away and replacing later with hot and wet ones.

On our departure morning, the staff was late to lay the breakfast, the area attendant said she was sorry and they had a meeting and that's why everything is 10 minutes late. I asked who held the meeting and she said it was the reception guy - same guy whom I paid beforehand the night before and explained that we will be in a hurry in the morning, in order not to miss the flight!

4. General cleanliness was not good either - no wet cleaning at all and no vacuum cleaning underneath beds and sofa. Balconies were not swept at all. Window glasses were clean, but window curtains seem to have not been washed for several months, which produced an unpleasant contrast.

5. Room service - they never gave us enough towels, for the room where we stayed with my wife and two younger kids - just a pair of larger ones and pair of smaller ones, whereas it should be a set for every inhabitant. Also, the replaced bed linen only once during our 13 nights stay, and linen in the baby crib was never replaced at all. Shampoo and shower gelt etc. supplies were not abundant either - one night we ran out of shower gel.

6. Sleep quality - it has been a while that I have seen so old, soft and sqeaky mattresses like in Mozart...

7. General mechanical condition -
we had no keys for balcony doors in both rooms, so we were leaving them unlocked, we asked for the keys and reception 'forgot' about it.
one day, the lock broke in our room and it took them an hour to replace - locks are not electronic there BTW - as we were waiting inside. They gave us a bottle of champagne for this failure.
in one of our rooms, there was no ventilation in the bathroom other then a small window at the very top - but that could not be opened since the lever was broken

8. dinners - they offer dinners at 20 euro per person, we tried it twice but not more - food was good as was the size of dishes, but it was VERY slow, it took us 1,5-2 hrs for dinner, which is unacceptable for families with kids.

Well, that's about it. No, one more thing - at departure, the receptionist asked me whether we liked the stay and I said no, and he asked me to write them a feedback, and I said I will, if they send me a reminder (because first day in office after vacations is normally very busy and it's easy to forget things). Guess what? They never sent a reminder to me, which reminded me to write a review here for everybody to know - DON'T STAY in Mozart Hotel in Opatija, it is overrated and overpriced!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank FlyingKindergarten
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

We (family of 4 adults) didn't book ahead but just asked the hotel reception on arrival if they had some free rooms. As it turned out, we got the last two free double rooms. Check-in was friendly and efficient. The rooms were very spacious and also clean, nothing bad can be said about them.
The interior is in the style of an "Amadeus" film, obviously (the place IS called W.A. Mozart).
Breakfast was good but nothing overwhelming. We got all we needed, though - I just don't think that a bottle of champagne makes a hotel better simply because it's champagne. A bit more choice with bread and pastries would probably have been better.
Service was friendly, we got a red rose for breakfast (however, only two of the ladies got one, as one arrived later for breakfast, and they obviously didn't notice).
The coffee wasn't great (automatic machine), but okay.
Location is good (sea view) plus they have a parking lot around the corner.
All in all I would probably stay there again, but I'd first check out some Trip Advisor results or other hotels.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family