“Great diving, great service”

Compass Charters & Ocean Adventures
Ranked #3 of 9 Tours in Dili
More attraction details
Owner description: Compass Charters & Ocean Adventures, is a family business who have been operating since 1999 and know the seas surrounding Timor-Leste like no one else. Atauro Island, the jewel of Timor-Leste where Compass specializes in diving & snorkelling adventures and PADI dive courses based from their Adara Ecocamp on the west coast of Atauro and now their beachhouse dive resort in Beloi on the east. Compass operates a daily water taxi service to Beloi and Adara making Atauro Island accessible for day trips, overnight and multi-day stays and offers travelers the opportunity to explore the more remote dive and snorkel sites. For diving snorkeling and relaxing in paradise, Compass Charters has Atauro Island covered. So come and book your adventure to another part of the world you never knew existed.
Jakarta, Indonesia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Great diving, great service”
Reviewed 1 May 2013

We dived with Jens & Tony (& skipper John) on 3 days, and can't speak highly enough of our experience. Their service was prompt, friendly, attentive. They kept us informed about what was happening, and helped with accommodation bookings on Atauro. The food was great. Diving practices were extremely safe, we really appreciated Jens' attention & care. We're experienced divers, and we can say that the diving off Atauro is fabulous - wall diving with great vis, warm water, a spectacular range of soft & hard corals, sponges & fish. Not a lot of big fish, they're having a bit of an issue with overfishing, which people are only just beginning to recognise & address. We have had some experience with the alternative diving operation in Dili and greatly preferred dealing with Compass.

Visited April 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Great open water diving course”
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I just completed the Open Water Diving PADI course with Compass Charter and I enjoyed every bit of it.
Tony and Jens were both very friendly, available and always looking to accomodate a tight holiday schedule.
For the course, Jens was extremely patient, very dedicated, and I felt comfortable asking questions or repeating exercises in the pool as many times as necessary. He was nevertheless very rigorous and never let me go with anything not perfectly done. I felt very safe at all times.
We did the open dives in 2 different sites West and East of Dili, where we could both get the requirements done and explore and enjoy the corals.
We also had good discussions about diving all around the world !
This course was everything I expected from it, and I'm glad I did it with Compass Charters. Hope to come around again for some diving in Atauro !

Visited April 2013
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Good Diving Experience”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

My friend and I did 2 dives at Atauro Island with Compass Charters and it was a great experience. Prior to the trip, the boss, Tony, answers our enquiries promptly and helps to make arrangement for the overnight stay at the island.
The dive master, Jens, was professional and make sure that we are comfortable with our diving equipment. When I casually mention that the fins is too heavy, he immediately finds another pair for me to change into so that I can enjoy my dive.
Great service provided by them makes a wonderful diving experience! If there's a chance to dive with them again, we will definitely take up a 3 days dive safari program!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank gwenism
Turku, Finland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Excellent customer service”
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I got exceptionally attentive and friendly service every time I was in contact with the Compass people. Jens Peter, an experienced scuba dive instructor, was safe and professional to go snorkeling with. He also helped me with the accommodation bookings in Atauro Island. I really had a feeling that Jens Peter and the other staff in Compass wanted me to have a great experience in Timor Leste, although I was not doing any serious diving. And yes, I had a great experience - thanks! Seija

Visited March 2013
1 Thank SeikkuAdventurer
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Unsafe, untimely and unprofessional”
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Utilised Compass Charters water taxi service to and from Atauro Island. It displayed all the hallmarks of a monopoly service: overpriced, no customer service, booked to leave at 9-9.30am - we waited for crew to finish their coffees and cigarettes until 11am, boat was overcrowded with insufficient life jackets for the 10 ppl on board, the skipper progressed at a speed unsuitable and unsafe in the prevailing conditions - hull was smashing against swell with water crashing on deck pushing a passenger to the deck. Skipper seemed more interested in lighting cigarettes than offering life jackets - which passengers had to request after boat took on water. Overall I would not recommend anyone use this service.

10 Thank Nikki M
Compass Charter... a, Manager at Compass Charters & Ocean Adventures, responded to this review, 26 January 2013
Unfortunately, we did try to contact this customer to get clarification on some of the issues raised, but we have had no response, so I am only able to respond with the answer I have received from my staff. We are not a monopoly service, there is another service on the island that is cheaper, but they choose not to operate a regular schedule and will not operate for 1 customer as we do, the costs, directly reflect the cost of running a daily service, with 1 passenger or the maximum of 8. The service on the day mentioned was delayed due to very high winds and weather conditions, and Barry confirmed this at the lodge, the Skipper waited for the improved weather window at the change of the tide. Which all customers were briefed about, and conditions of the ticket clearly state services may be delayed due to weather and this at the discretion of the skipper on the day. After receiving this review the boat was checked and the required 12 life Jackets were found to be on board in the locker as indicated on the highly visible safety sign on the door of the locker. The design of the boat is a compartmentalised hull with a wet deck, so the boat will never “Take on Water”, water that comes in on the deck during rough weather automatically drains. Due to the prevailing weather and sea conditions the skipper had no option but to proceed at the speed he did, so as to make any progress at all. I would suggest that the distribution of life jackets was the crew’s responsibility not the skippers, because under the conditions you have described the skipper definitely should not have left his post on the helm. We are very sorry the trip did not meet your expectations.