“A Good Stay”
Review of Beach Garden Hotel

Beach Garden Hotel
Ranked #14 of 24 Dili B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Room nice and clean. Big rooms. Wifi. Great TV channels. Location is great. Staff were willing to help. Stayed 2 separate weeks, room 1004 , the bed needs to change as i could feel the spring and it was not comfortable to sleep in. Room 2004, was a comfortable one. Overall, it was a good stay.

Room Tip: Check the bed if you want to have a comfortable sleep.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sophian S

Reviewed 31 January 2014

There are no guide books about East Timor. Then I never know where to stay and visit. My motivation is that this country becomes 83 rd country of my visit. I investigated hotels located on beach and near city center of Dili through internet. There's no detailed map and hotel location was roughly shown. I chose this hotel but it was not near city center. I stayed for one night. When I checked in, there were four or five female staffs at the reception, but they didn't speak English. They called a young lady who speak English well. I asked her to have a map and if there are any Japanese restaurants. She didn't have a fold type map, then cut maps from a big guide book, and put a mark of Gion Japanese restaurant. I walked along with beach road to east to find city center and Gion. On the way, I took a rest at Timor hotel where the building is fine and they speak English at the reception. This hotel is better. When I came near Gion, I asked a person at a shop and I found Gion, but the restaurant was closed. I came into the next door of the restaurant and asked a man and he said Gion was moved to Timor Plaza, located at west part of Dili one month ago. I took a taxi to get there and the taxi passed main street named Rua Dos Martires De Patria (Rua Comoro). It is a big shopping mall and I took dinner of Japanese food at Gion. On the next day I got up early and walked at beach in the morning glow. After I took breakfast (included), I asked them to call someone who speaks English and another lady from yesterday came. I asked her to call a taxi and I negotiated with a taxi driver in the presence of her to visit Cristo Rey, President Palace, Australian embassy and come back to the hotel to pick up my luggages and check out, and go to the airport in 35 USD.

Room Tip: Toilet flushing water is too weak to flow filth. I explained to one of female staffs, but she never...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I stayed here for a couple of months on business. The staff are friendly, very helpful and always have smiley faces. They do get quite noisy though especially in the mornings. i love to sleep in. The rooms were modern, clean, a decent size, all have fridges, clean towels and clean linen. The location is great, just along Beach road, pretty close to Timor Plaza. However, the breakfast was not up to standard. The eggs and sausages were always cold every time I had them. I personally did not like the restaurant but there are lots of nice places to eat along Beach road. Otherwise it's a pleasant place to stay. They also have a beautiful pool.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Belinda M
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Except for a minor hiccup when we were not collected from the airport, (they reimbursed the Taxi fare), our stay in this hotel was pleasant and comfortable. Staff were all very nice and helpful and the rooms were clean. Needed to use another plug so as to use the TV and have the fridge going at the same time, the towel rack in the bathroom was falling out and the aircon filter was dusty.
Breakfast was fair but adequate and they could keep the food hot if they would light the heaters under the Bain Marie sooner.
When we were there dinner was also free and was an unexpected bonus.
Internet a bit slow at times but there was good TV with many movie and other cable channels.
We stayed there twice and have no problem recommending it as a three star.

Room Tip: Ask for a non smoking room on the west side.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Unlike another reviewer I had a generally postive experience here and I stayed at the hotel for 7 months during March to November 2012. My daily rate was lower because my employer had negotiated it and it include laundry and breakfast.
Noise CAN be a problem at the hotel; when I stayed on the second floor and when I stayed in a room next to reception. However, noise was not a problem when I was on the first floor with a room facing the rear of the hotel. It is true that if you are working at the hotel during the day you will be interrupted but the do not disturb sign and some communication helps.
The gym IS very poor but the pool is not bad except for maybe 2 days per week. I was able to make swimming a part of my routine. Only the expensive hotels in Dili have gyms.
The breakfast also was adequate once I realized that the staff would prepare eggs for me every day. That along with fresh oranges, toast with jam, and coffee was enough for me. It is largely a matter of expectations.
The restaurant food at dinner time is bland however, there was a nice balcony overlooking the ocean where you could relax with a beer and the beer selection was not bad.
In my experience the hotel management was VERY responsive but that perhaps was because I was part of a group that was staying for a while. The staff at the front desk was consistently cheery and tried to be helpful
The rooms are fairly big though the desk is small, Internet was spotty because management was switching providers often. This was during the middle of 2012 and into the fall.
But make no mistake about it. Based on Western standards this would not be considered a good hotel. I was staying with 3 colleagues with whom I could dine every night at the several restaurant/bars on the beach road and we found other places to eat and hang out. So I was able to make it work out pretty well

Room Tip: Avoid the second floor and room next to or across from reception. Generally rooms facing the back...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank whippoboy
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I stayed in this hotel for three weeks in June 2012. Therefore, my judgment is only valid for a long-term stay. A short term stay might bring different experiences. Generally, the location of the hotel is good: next to the beach road with a splendid view. However, the increasing traffic is annoying. The quality of the rooms is pretty basic but ok. Paying US$ 99 per night is a bit much though. The breakfast is quite simple and the quality of the provided food is quite low: Low quality toast, scrambled eggs, three sorts of fruit, and several unidentifiable Chinese style meals.
The hotel aims primarily at business clients. However, basic services such as printing e.g. are not available. The internet is extremely slow or nonexistent-and this is not because this is a problem in Timor-Leste, but because of the bad organizational planning and management of the hotel. Usually, there were internet blackouts for more than 24 hours every second day. The local staff at the reception desk has always a smile, but that is basically it. Service delivery, such as forwarding and processing complaints about all kinds of things (no internet, no electricity, no cleaning of the room, shockingly dirty sheets and towels) is non-existent.
It was not possible to work in my hotel room during the afternoon since there was a constant noise from the reception area due to the staff using their mobile phones, chatting with friends e.g. The staff is obviously not aware of the fact that there are customers who like to have a bit of silence during the working hours. The so called gym is ridiculous for everyone who is actually interested in a meaningful workout. While the pool looks nice on the pictures, it is actually quite dirty and not adequately maintained. I would not use it.
All in all, I will not stay in this hotel again due to (1) the unprofessional and unreliable staff, (2) the unprofessional management, (3) the non-existent or rather flawed leisure facilities, (4) the noise in the hotel, (5) the bad internet connection, and (6), the unreasonable price for a long term stay. Other hotels and resorts in Dili offer better service and conditions for less money. Your choice.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Charl3s
Reviewed 7 October 2012

The Deluxe rooms are exactly as advertised in the photos. They are quite stylish and spacious, and meticulously cleaned very day. The TV picture quality was mediocre, though , and the whole place was let down by the slowest wi-fi internet speeds I have ever come across - about 1,500 b/s (bytes, not kilobytes). If you need to work, don't stay here. But if you don't need the internet, then it's a good option.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business