“4 Nights”
Review of Hostal El Arbolito

Hostal El Arbolito
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My wife and I stayed for 4 nights in this nice Hostal. The owner is great and helpful the noise is a bit annoying from the leather shop and also from the traffic all in all we where pleased with the stay. Cotacachi as it turns out is not for us to retire in.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Alex H
There are newer reviews for Hostal El Arbolito

Reviewed 2 March 2014

There's a leather shop across from all the rooms that plays loud commercial radio 10 hours a day. Manager is nice, people friendly. A few steps to the leather shops and a decent cafe. There is parking.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 September 2012

My son, his wife and I spent three nights at El Arbolito in central Cotacachi in August, 2012. Our rooms were very comfortable, clean, well-furnished, modern, with TV and hot water. The staff were as friendly and helpful as they could be. I wanted to locate a certain hairdresser , for example, and they hunted around and told me that she had closed her business. Astonished, I checked personally, and of course they were right. On one side of the hotel is a new restaurant, very popular with the local expats serving excellent food, but pricey by Ecuadorian standards. On the other side an internet cafe with the lowest rates anywhere. I could never spend as much as a dollar.There is a lovely manageable mercado artesanal a block away. Our rental car was safely parked in an enclosed area, and we could see it from our rooms. Laundry was done for us professionally overnight, and very cheaply. No favor that we asked presented any problem for them. In some ways I would consider this my favorite place to stay in all of Ecuador, and especially considering value received. We will certainly want tyo stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Ron T
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Jaime, Aida, Edgar, Roman, the proprietors, were great to deal with. So patient with the gringos whose espanol were not up to par, for which we apologize, after all, we are in their country. The hostel itself was immaculate when we arrived and was kept up with daily. The only reason it got a "Very Good" instead of excellent was that contrary to the ad, there was no WiFi but there was internet downstairs(very inexpensive) and it is situated on a plaza that also has a church on it, therefore, every morning, early, the bells are rung to wake the faithful.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a lower floor as there is no elevator
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank PaulnDiane
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We loved our stay at the Hostal El Arbolito. The couple who runs it are vey nice. The place is very clean and more like a small hotel rather than a hostel. We returned and our entire family stayed here. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank katkaplan
Reviewed 20 July 2010

This is one of those gems you find every once in a while. This 4 story hotel is just a few years old , and is spotlessly clean inside. The view up on the roof is simply one of the best in all of Cotacachi to view the city and the surrounding countryside. Both gorgeous dormant volcanos are in perfect view. And it is just around the corner from the main street, "leather street."
The rooms are very clean and comfortable,with nice bathrooms ,and tv. It is owned and managed by the wonderful family who lives in Cotacachi. On top of that , their brother operates a clean reliable internet and phone service right next door! And on top of that , next door the other way, is one of the best restaurants in town. It is called Colours and Flavors, and Suzanna cooks and serves local "typical"food , and some very delicious international cuisine! Wait until you see the decor...it is first class!
You simply can't go wrong here. And the price is very reasonable. Wonderfully friendly people ...but you should speak some Spanish.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank barryswobblyworld
Reviewed 15 October 2009

I’m not sure if Hostelaria means hostel in Ecuador or Spanish but this is not a hostel in the sense that I know them - multiple beds in a room and a shared bathroom down the hall. Its a hotel - At El Arbolito you have various room types to choose as per a hotel, i.e. double bed, single beds, etc, all with bathroom (shower) en-suit, and a TV - I think there was one English Channel we watched. The whole establishment is super clean. The floors are marble/tiles so they are not creaky like wooden floors. The rooms are big and beds comfy. The shower water pressure is not good.
An internet café with up to date computers was in the process of being set up next door. Note - I could see the equipment through the window but I did not used it.
There’s a nice restaurant next door called Colors and Flavours with a friendly and helpful Signora Suzy (Susanna) who speaks English. They had the best breakfast in town we found. I had the Continental, my mom the American, about $9.50 for the two of us, includes coffee and freshly squeezed juice. For a comparison I had a Continental breakfast at the Maison del Flores and what I got was a stale sliced roll that was dry, not enough butter or “runny” jam. My moms American was two fried eggs, no bacon, ham or toast., just two eggs! This breakfast came to around $12.00 – incl. coconut juice and coffee.
At El Arbolito Hostal you’re free to go onto the roof where you will have the most stunning views of the Volcano’s Imbambura and Cotacachi as well as the church square that is perpendicular to the hotel and the roofs of the town buildings. The roof is a perfect place to take photo’s, both day and night.
Take earplugs, the town is a little noisy with dogs, the odd truck in the middle of the night, kids playing in the streets, people talking, church bells ringing, etc.
The day before we left I asked where I could get some salty cheese and figs cooked in sugar cane juice (Ecuadorian food). No problem I was told, the cheese Jimmy (owner) went to buy for me, as well as a plastic container and tin foil to wrap it in (plus they wrapped it and kept it in the fridge till we left). The taxi was told the next day where to get figs at a town we were going through.
When we needed a taxi the family negotiated an honest price, they recommended places to go and all together were like friends.
We bought a bottle of wine a couple of times and sat in reception and shared it, and their Aqua Dente (firewater) with the owners Jimmy his wife Aida and Frank & Edgar his brothers. (names have been Westernized for my ease of use, e.g., Frank is for Francisco, etc).
The shops / restaurants open late in the morning and its lights out at about 8pm.
This is a lovely little town.

• Stayed: September 2009