“Warm welcome”

and 1 more site!
La Cuadra Hotel
Ranked #1 of 11 Cotacachi B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 June 2013

After a grueling 2 days of travel, we were exhausted and brain dead when we arrived at La Cuadra at 3am. Jairo greeted us at the curb as our taxi from Quito, which he arranged, pulled up to the hotel. Both in our mid 60's and not adjusted to the 8500' altitude, we were so appreciative when Jairo so graciously carried our five 50 lb bags up 3 flights of stairs! Because we are moving to Ecuador permanently, we were not traveling light.

Our room was very clean and Jairo most helpful with local directions and advise, plus he speaks excellent English. Shared kitchen, dining, TV, wifi area provides homelike setting to befriend fellow travelers.

We of course recommend the good value and welcoming atmosphere of La Cuadra.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 June 2013

Previous reviewers praised Jairo for his helpfulness, his kindness, generousity and knowledge of the area and people to meet and places to go...and I found each quality true. Jairo is so pleasent, and helpful and just a really great guy. He is also expanding the hotel to be much larger, and hold more guests because Cotacachi is growing daily, expats arriving from near and far. The hotel is located within a few streets of the center of everything, markets, restaurants and of course "Leather Street" where the bargains will astound you. The hotel is very modern, exceptionally clean, and hot water is plentiful. My room overlooked a nearby school yard as children gathered each morning and sang sweet little songs with angelic voices that started earlier than I wanted to wake up, but they were so cute I watched the children play in the school yard with their little matching uniforms and trying to learn soccer at about 5 years old. The view from nearly every room has at least one volcano with its cloud covered peak, and when you step outside the hotel, the nearby park has flowering pink trees, and an essence of peacefulness. Jairo speaks perfect English and you will soon call him your friend.

Room Tip: I was on the third floor...and at times it seemed to have more stairs than an Escher painting. But t...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Jairo and La Cuadra Hostal are just great! I arrived very late (12:30 a.m.) and he was there to let me in and carry 4 large suitcases up to the 3rd floor for me. We had a room with a bath in the front of the building. It is very noisy at night with street traffic, but I used earplugs and that took care of it. There is a nice big kitchen for your use and a nice dining room to chat with other travelers while you eat. We were only there a couple of nights, but I would highly recommend this hostal.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back. It will be much quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Liz B
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We just had 2 days to spend in Cotacachi so contacted Jairo on the recommendation of friends. We were so glad we did! Friendly atmosphere....clean rooms and HOT water. The only downside was that wifi was only available on the 2nd floor AND there was some construction going on next door...no chance for an afternoon nap! Reasonable price and great location!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I have no stake in this Hostal whatsoever except for being a very happy customer.

Based on the reviews I read here, I decided to contact Jairo. I wanted to secure my first week in Ecuador without having to deal with staying in Quito as I grounded myself in the country. My flight arrived in the nighttime and I was concerned about secure transportation. Jairo arranged for Ivan and his Taxi (mentioned before) to meet me at the airport. One of my bags got lost and he waited until I took care of business and then drove me to La Cuadra, and, I might add, I didn't have a moment of concern. Wait until you see how everyone else drives the route and you'll understand just how appreciative I was!

Without repeating everything positive that has been said, I just want to add that I've met a number of the people who stayed on in Cotacachi or returned again and they are real and these are true and accurate reviews. Jairo (who has an uncanny resemblance to Antonio Banderas!) is an incredibly sensitive and hard-working host, like, for example, he won't speak English with me since he knows I've come here to immerse myself in the language. And he sticks with me until I get it, too!

The rooms are modern and clean, location is perfect, the staff does excellent maintenance, prices are terrific for what you get, so much so I decided to stay another month in Cotacachi and at La Cuadra!

Definitely, in terms of bang for your buck, I don't see how you can do better than La Cuadra for a short or long-term stay in this very lovely pueblo.

Room Tip: No ground floor rooms or elevator so be prepared to huff and puff until you get used to Cotacachi...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I was planning to stay at the La Cuadra for a couple of days while looking for a small apartment to rent for the month I was staying in Cotacachi. I liked the atmosphere and Jairo so much that I stayed the entire month at La Cuadra. Jairo and staff keep it very clean and just make you feel like your part of a small family there. I was there for the first couple weeks by myself and enjoyed Jairo and the other guests. I am going back to Cotacachi next February and plan to stay there for the month again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I was in Cotacachi on March and it was my third stay at La Cuadra (I stayed there in February and November 2011). For me, staying at La Cuadra was almost like coming back home ! Jairo is so nice and helpful and you always feel very welcome. He was kind enough to wake us up at 3 in the morning as we had to fly back from Quito.
The rooms are always very clean and the hostal is very well located, next to the main plaza and all the restaurants and shops.
Will definitely stay there again on my next trip to Cotacachi !

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cotacachi
La Mirage Garden Hotel & Spa
Yellow Guest House
Yellow Guest House
#2 of 11 in Cotacachi
Hosteria Cabanas del Lago

Been to La Cuadra Hotel? Share your experiences!