“Hostal La Cuadra”

Ranked #1 of 11 Cotacachi B&B and Inns
Wickenburg, Arizona
“Hostal La Cuadra”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed here for 10 days in July when we first arrived. The staff keeps the place very clean and nice. Our room was comfortable and accommodated our needs nicely. The two ladies may be the happiest people you meet and are immediately responsive to your needs. It was wonderful to see them working happily and enjoying their friendship daily. A great example for all.

Jairo is very helpful and knowledgeable and speaks English well also. I've not met a more accommodating owner. He even invited us on a family outing to a hot spring spa. A very nice family.

There is a kitchen to prepare food and coffee with a large dining room and two large dining tables. The area has a large T.V. and DVD player etc we did not use, but was available. The rooftop has excellent views and lines to dry clothes on.
The town wakes early beginning with noises from all sorts, trucks, busses, taxis, church bells, dogs barking. The town goes to bed around 9pm and is pretty quiet between. If you are a late sleeper, get a room away from street side.
The hostal is expanding and the new section when opened will have great views of Mt. Imbabura which is stunning and over 15,000 ft in elevation.
This is a great place to begin or end your visit and is located in town short walking distance from all things in Cotacachi.
Dining out can vary from local places little bigger than a broom closet to fine dining in modern restaurants tourists hang out in. The cuisine locally includes plenty of starches and meat so you may learn to love the market with it's variety of fresh fruits and vegetables.
Jairo can assist you with plans and recommendations as well as transportation to and from airport and surrounding places.
While here using the hostal as a home base, we found an apartment by asking around and searching internet. You can find anything from modern mansions to local homes depending on your tastes. Get on busses and check out all the area has to see and do. It is so cheap to ride! There are many day trips one can enjoy by bus from town. They are well used locally so you might want to avoid the first and last busses if crowds are not your thing. We found that if you leave from the terminal, the bus has many seats. From the square it is usually pretty full. Etiquette requires you to leave the front seats available to elderly, pregnant ladies or women with small children, and handicapped people.
Try your Spanish, it will be appreciated and mistakes tolerated well. Many have helped me with words or phrases when misspoke.
Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: The matrimonial rooms are larger and comfortable. The upper floor is our preferred spot.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WickenburgJLM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I have stayed at La Cuadra twice now, and will probably stay again on my next trip to Cotacachi. The hostal is very clean and the staff are friendly and helpful. The manager, Jairo, speaks excellent English and is very accomodating. The room I had was quite comfortable and quiet. And it was very well-priced. The hostal is only a half-block from the main plaza and the bus stop. The leather shops, for which Cotacachi is famous, are about a three minute walk away. Jairo cheerfully helped me arrange transportation back to the airport at a fare that was cheaper than I had been quoted. He also didn't complain that I had to get him up very early when I checked out. This is not a luxury hotel with 5-star amenities, but I give it the highest rating for its value.

Room Tip: Room 5 is where I stayed. It doesn't have a private bath, but the other occupied rooms on the f...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TexasTim76104
Westminster, Colorado, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Perhaps its because we made the fatal error of visiting Cotacachi during Easter weekend, but we didn't sleep for the 4 nights we were there. La Cuadra is located just off the main square, a prime location for visiting the town and far enough from Leather Street to avoid crowds. Apparently, if you are lucky enough to sleep in the back, you are likely to have a quieter experience. But we weren't so lucky. The noise is deafening at first and constant through the night until about 4 am, then starts up again at 6 am.

In addition, we had the lovely experience of waking to no hot water. Thankfully, Jairo worked diligently at repairing the problem. It was a deal breaker. We started to explore other accommodations. Fortunately, we were eventually able to shower. But the noise never stopped. And Jairo never offered us a back room. Very disappointing.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

I have traveled quite a bit, but this was my first time to Ecuador and South America. La Cuadra is very nice, it's clean, the rooms are nice and there is a kitchen with a refrigerator and oven in case you like to cook. I'm paying less living here than I was for the room I was renting in the USA and my room is ten times nicer here. Also, the owner and mahager Jairo is very helpful. He also speaks English. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

Thank you Jairo for a warm welcome to La Cuadra. The whole hostal was so clean and comfortable. You and your staff deserve congratulations for taking such good care of your guests. We received advice on touring, support in getting things we needed and sometimes someone to give us some of the history of Cotacachi. The value for money was spot on.

Englewood, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

We had the pleasure of staying at the La Cuadra Hostal for 15 days while visiting Cotacachi, and we couldn’t have picked a better place. As many others have written, Jairo has the best accommodations, rooms are comfortable, full kitchen facilities with two large eating areas, big screen TV, videos, Wi-Fi great location, extremely clean. In fact the two young women eagerly, with the prettiest smiles and lots of laughter, clean the rooms daily, make the beds and will even fold your clothes, neatly arranging them on the bed if you forget to tidy up before departing for the day.

Jairo has a wealth of information about what to see, where to go and just about anything that would make your stay enjoyable, he’s the one to see. Thankfully, with our very limited Spanish, his fluent English became extremely important when I became very ill. After taking us to the emergency room in the middle of the night, he stayed with me translating all the needed information between the doctor, nurses and me, remaining there until I was staple. It felt like he was a family member making sure I got the correct care. Without his help my husband and I would have felt very anxious and uncomfortable since the hospital staff and ourselves couldn’t understand each other. We are so grateful for all his help. Once we returned to the hostal unfortunately a few hours later that day I became ill again and he, without any hesitation, did it all over again. What other hotel owner/manager would do such a thing for a guest, not many, if any! He makes you feel like family not just a guest. Even his mother brewed a thermos full of Chamomile tea for me, a very welcomed drink at that point and much appreciated.

Jairo really cares about his guests, making it a real home like atmosphere. He’s adding on to his hotel so there will be many more rooms in the near future and if we can ever make such a trip again we will only be staying at Jairo’s hostel La Cuadra. He and his family are so lovely. We were sad to leave them.

Hope you get to meet Jairo and his family, and stay at the La Cuadra Hostal, it will be a wonderful experience if you do.

Thanks again for everything Jairo,
The Parkers

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CParker70
Cotacachi, Ecuador
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Jairo (owner) is a gem.La Cuadra is convenient...just a few hundred feet from the central square. Plenty of stores and eateries within walking distance. It is loud at times being on the main street into the city. If you're a light sleeper or like to sleep late, purchase a pair of comfy and effective earplugs before you get here as selection is limited on many things in EC.

The new wi-fi works well...finally! :)

Hot water showers, but cold water only in sinks. Seemed odd at first, but as you will find, quite typical for EC.

And if you're lucky, you'll get to meet Jairo's family and his especially chatty three-year old: Rebecca. (You're a lucky man Jairo)

Enjoy your stay. I did.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Stan L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cotacachi
La Mirage Garden Hotel & Spa
#5 of 11 in Cotacachi
El Roy
El Roy
#4 of 10 in Cotacachi

Been to La Cuadra Hostal? Share your experiences!