“La casa del Turista”

Ranked #5 of 42 Restaurants in Cotacachi
Price range: US$3 - US$20
Cuisines: Ecuadorean
Reviewed 6 June 2013

The restaurant is right next to the hostal. The food was a bit salty but the service was good. The group of friends had a good time in general.

Reviewed 21 February 2013

I will admit, since we've moved to Cotacachi I've hesitated going to this restaurant because of it's name. Although it made me chuckle, I basically thought they were declaring themselves to be a tourist trap.
I was entertaining out-of-town guests who wanted to go, so in we went. From the outside it appears to be nice, but rather small. Once you step inside you see there is a larger room towards the back and a very nice patio on the side. We were handed menus. I asked the waitress if there were any daily specials. She said yes, they had a $6 all inclusive meal. All inclusive indeed! We had an appetizer of meatballs with an Aji dip served on a bed of lettuce, followed by large bowls of soup, then the main course of rice, potato pancakes, a small salad and a generous portion of roast chicken, and finally a fresh fruit cup for dessert. We were all pleased with our meals and the price.

Reviewed 22 January 2013 via mobile

After a week of visiting cotacachi we tried la casa del turista due to the good reviews. It is a well kept restaurant in a good location between leather street and the town square. The menu is rather extensive with beef, pork chicken and seafood. Service was good. No english spoken or english menu offered. The food was the exact same as you can get in any local Restaurant in cotacachi for $3-7 a meal, with a little better presentation. Unfortunately their prices are RIDICULOUS. Easily 3 times more expensive than the local places who serve the same dishes. They don't have a menu of the day like almost all others in cotacachi, so you must order a la carte for 5-10$ a entree and 3-7 for soup, salad or appetizer. Would only recommend if you are a total gringo and don't care about your money. Please go to one of the numerous authentic eateries in town, you will get the same food for MUCH less. D'Anita's is just around the corner and offers high class food and atmosphere with a $7 menu of the day with appetizer, soup, entree and dessert and is very upscale. If you are sick of Ecuadorean food and want a taste of home(USA) try serendipity or trebol, both of which are gringo owned and operated and have large numbers of expat patrons and very good food.

Reviewed 24 December 2012

Each meal was excellent and their soups outstanding. Their mushroom soup was the best I have had, even better than my mother's! I had some broiled fish that was succulent and delicately seasoned. Their ice cream deserts are fabulous, but not overbearing. The service is great.

I wholeheartedly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 19 December 2012

Roomy La Casa has generous hours of business and seems to stay open late. We enjoyed a vegetarian ceviche (with those high-protein palm hearts), delicious chicken broth and a filling and tasty chaulafan.(sort of a pilaf, but using achiote oil) with enough left over to take home for next morning's breakfast. Not every restaurant does chaulafan; so it's good to know it's here. Any easy place to come back to.