“one of the highlights in Cotacachi”

Veraneante Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 44 Restaurants in Cotacachi
Cuisines: Ecuadorean
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We were in Cotacachi for 11 days and ate here twice, once on Christmas Day. I guess this is a new location, and by Cotacachi standards it's something of a walk (three blocks or so from the main square), but it's definitely worth seeking out. The food is beautifully presented and tasty, and the husband and wife (and their daughter!) who run the place are so lovely. (The little girl taught us some Spanish on our first visit; on the second, she was wearing a stethoscope from the doctor's kit she got for Christmas.) But back to the food. They take care with both the preparation and the presentation, and the result is a step above most other restaurants in Cotacachi. The quality of the food reminded me of the food at El Lenador, but the atmosphere here is more quaint and homey. We're returning to Cotacachi in the spring, and I'm sure we'll return to Veraneante.

2  Thank Mark J

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Our favorite in Cotacachi.! We found Veraneante about 1 hour after our feet touched ground in Cotacachi. And it remains our favorite restaurant. It has a strong expat following as well as a strong local clientele. The new (and permenant) location is 3 1/2 blocks south of Leather Street on Perdro Moncayo.
Darwin's chicken sandwich draws the praise of many expats. We, personally, recommend a bowl of soup and one of guacamole, avocado stuffed with tuna or the ceviche.

3  Thank THOMAS W
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I was was originally put off by the look of table cloths whenever I passed by - thinking it must be too expensive for my budget. However, when a friend told me it was not like that, I decided to try it. What a lovely surprise! The food was wonderful, the service was friendly and the bill did not crash my budget. It's a quiet restaurant with a classy feel that draws locals and travelers alike. If you are walking about town during the lunch hour, give it a try. You will be glad you did.

2  Thank Crystalbell
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Excellent Ecuadorian food and were the locals go for fine dinning. Cost is more than standard local restaurants but well worth it. During our trip we ate there twice. I highly recommend the sea bass which was broiled and crispy on the outside and moist inside no bones! I had 4 large pieces which was more than I could eat. It comes with French fries and salad for around $10. The other dish I had was the garlic shrimp which was also excellent and not what I expected. The shrimp comes in a little bowl with a creamy sauce. We ordered a side of rice which you can mix in the bowl with the shrimp and also dip your French fries in which was to die for delicious. All meals come with generous portions of green salad and sides of potato salad and fries. This is not for anyone wanting low carbs. However all the walking easily burns off all the calories so splurge and try it. You can also order soup but watch out the servings are large and they do not understand the concept of just a cup of soup. I tried the avocado & tomato soup which was served steamy hot just the way I like it! The soup was rich and creamy with little slices do avocado on top. The other soup I tried was the potato and cheese soup which was also excellent. My husband tried the mushroom soup but we both agreed that it was not as good as we expected. They have a full service bar but we either had bottled water or beer. All meals start off with a little bowl of popcorn, salsa and plantain chips to munch on while you wait for your meal.

1  Thank Ann H
Reviewed 12 March 2013

We ordered our supper and much to our surprise sliced apples a beautiful chocolate dripping on top came first. What a nice addition to our meal. The meal was excellent and the chef takes pride in his presentation as well as quality of his food! Everything was fresh. Will go back again.

2  Thank Utopianvoyagers