“Very relaxing and beautiful”

and 1 more site!
Floreana Lava Lodge
Reviewed 25 January 2014

The rooms are little cabins set in a spectacular location overlooking the ocean. It is a short walk to kayaking, snorkeling or swimming. The breakfast at the lodge was delicious and located outside with a view of the ocean. The stay here was a wonderful way to see Floreana, meet the friendly people of the island and see the stunning landscape and wildlife from the mountains down to the ocean.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
There are newer reviews for Floreana Lava Lodge

Reviewed 3 December 2013

This place made me the most nervous before coming, and when I got there all my fears were laid to rest. This was the best place I stayed during my 10 day stay. The cabins are very quant and peaceful. there was scuba diving under a mile away where my son swam with giant tortoises, sting ray and hammerhead sharks. The walk over was over lava rocks and thru a small mangrove. We ate at someones home where they made a table for the group and cooked fresh tuna. That evening we sat in the wooden chairs and watched the stars and listened to the ocean. I would definately recommend this place, I only wish I could have stayed here longer.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank mrcoates72
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

This place is rustic, but exactly what we were expecting the Galápagos to be and so charming we wished we'd stayed longer. All the rooms are twin, but my boyfriend and I didn't mind as we drifted off to sleep listening to the sea and the sea lions. Breakfast was lovely - great setting obviously as all the lodges and the breakfast area are just up from the shore, and delicious. The Cruise family are wonderful and really added to the magic of our trip there. Dinner was at Lelia's restaurant. Make sure you also have coffee or passion fruit juice at the "coffee shop and pizzeria" (another of the Cruise clan's).

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2013

After a week on a dive boat I decided to stay on land for a week, taking in Santa Cruz, Floreana and Isabela as part of a guided tour. It is to my regret that we only spent 24 hours on Floreana as it was by far and away my favourite island. It's unspoiled and the wildlife both on land and below the water was amazing even by Galapagos standards.

The lodge is basic but it has everything you need. The huts are small but clean and have everything you need in them, including a proper hot shower. However its the location that is killer - right on the water. I sat on my porch at 7am with a yellow warbler on the arm of my chair while watching seemingly endless turtles surface in the bay outside. I'd go back tomorrow if I could!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Anyone who is lucky enough to set foot on Floreana, and even luckier to stay over night at this simple but little piece of perfection should count their blessings. You are in the Galapagos and any complaints about bugs, sea crossings, heat or discomfort are, well frankly, irrelevant and par for the course. I feel so blessed I just returned from 11 days in Ecuador and five in the Galapagos. My goal is to return to Floreana. The rooms are clean and perfectly fine, small cabins with safes, air conditioning, fans, and all the neccessities. The view is ten stars. It is not my preference to tour with groups (even small ones) so taking dinner and breakfast as a group was but a small price to pay for an experience like this. I wish we had had one more night here. The baby sea lion beach and snorkeling with giant sea turtles is just down the beach. The food prepared for both meals was simple and perfect, our wonderful guides even brought over some wine for dinner. It is my understanding that these land based tours (thank you Red Mangrove) are helping ease some local resentment over all of the tourism dollars all spent on boats and rarely coming ashore. I hope Floreana stays just as it is.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

This lodge is fun fun fun. We stayed in 5 stars hotels worldwide. But we truly appreciate the simplicity of the lodge and are grateful for the locals to welcome tourists in their unspoiled island. A gem.

• Stayed: June 2013
tropiceco, Manager at Floreana Lava Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at Floreana with us. Your review is exactly what we are expecting our guests to live: the old Galapagos way of life, where the islanders life style is appreciated and shared.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

Floreana Island is off the main tourist track but well worth a visit to understand the history of the first visitors and settlement of the Galapagos - We travelled to and from the island by boat. The wharf at Puerto Velasco Ibarra is exposed to waves and can be very "hairy" even in a moderate swell so I would not recommend a visit to Floreana Island unless you are able bodied and prepared to scramble off the boat between the swells. The ocean waters between the island can be very rough so you need to be prepared that your fellow travellers and even the locals could be sea sick in the confines of your boat - Also, while on the island, all activities are open to the weather as soon as you leave your eco hut so plan for getting wet if a shower or storm comes during your stay so watch the weather as a visit with rough seas or heavy rain could be miserable. Now, if you are happy with all the above, this is a not to be missed component of your visit to the Galapagos - it is stunning. The huts are overlooking a beautiful cove and are adequate. The staff are considerate and do whatever is needed to make your stay comfortable. I would recommend this to young and old who are open to a little adventure, aren't expecting a Hilton or Hyatt (the eco hut bathrooms are very small) and sometimes a little discomfort to enjoy the unspoilt wonder of Floreana. It is well worth the adventure!

Room Tip: All the eco huts of Red Mangrove Floreana Lodge are basically the same
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank American-Traveller

Thank you for such detailed review, our guests experiences are the perfect testimonial to inspire other travelers to join us on our Floreana Adventure. Getting here is part of the experience and fun and access is the opportunity to have our unspoiled wonder :). Floreana Lava Lodge is under a new management nowadays and we are looking for ways to make our clients access as pleasant as possible with lots of advice during the booking process and well trained captains riding our speed boat.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Floreana
Hotel Mar Azul
#1 of 21 in Puerto Ayora
Iguana Crossing
Iguana Crossing
#1 of 6 in Puerto Villamil

Been to Floreana Lava Lodge? Share your experiences!