“Heaven on Earth”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Cristobal
Casa Iguana Mar y Sol
Ranked #3 of 27 San Cristobal B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Beautiful property, views of the ocean to die for, gracious host, Luis, and wife made us feel like family and treated us like royalty, large comfortable and very clean bedrooms, gave valuable information during our visit about the local sites, Luis spoiled us with fresh breakfast and the best coffee. we look forward to returning the this "gem". This IS the place to stay on the island.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank 1588trololo
There are newer reviews for Casa Iguana Mar y Sol

Reviewed 13 March 2014

So don't waste any more time looking for a place in San Cristobal. You won't find anything better than this. Just book it now! The 3rd floor deck has the best morning coffee view we have ever had, and the coffee is grown, dried, roasted, ground, brewed and poured by Louis. Yum.

Room Tip: They are all beautiful
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank escape066
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed at Casa Iguana for 2 nights in February before leaving for a 7 day cruise. The B&B was lovingly built entirely by Luis and it shows in every detail-from the Iguana carved into the front door to the beautiful rooftop deck. The view to the harbor is priceless and it is a five minute walk to the center of town. Patricia and Luis are the nicest, most generous hosts we have ever encountered in many stays. We had chosen to stay in one of the second floor rooms which would have been lovely. However, Patricia upgraded us to the Honeymoon Suite at no extra charge because it hadn't been rented. It was beyond gorgeous and spotless. The shower was great and the mini-fridge was stocked with bottled water. The breakfasts that Luis cooked were delicious. We can't imagine a nicer stay anywhere.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank snorkel10
Reviewed 27 February 2014

This is a home from home sort of place. Luis and his sister were full of smiles and helpfulness. We had a huge room on the top floor complete with sitting area and kitchenette. Breakfast is in their kitchen where you sit at the breakfast bar and chat with other guests. Fresh fruit, great coffee and eggs cooked by Luis. You are high up over the bay and can watch the boats coming and going and catch the breeze.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PAH2008
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We spent three nights at Casa Iguana and found it to be excellent. The property is beautiful, the rooms immaculate and comfortable and Patricia & Luis were extremely helpful and generous to us. We stayed in the Pez suite which had a massive double bed (hand made by Luis) and top quality furnishings. All small details had been considered. Each day started with a very wholesome breakfast prepared by Luis and Patricia helped us plan our days, including booking cabs for our outings. The house is located a short walk into the pier and main town area (only about 5 mins) and I think it is a bonus to be a little out of the centre which was very lively during our stay. We loved the ice cold beers on the roof terrace to watch the sunset over the bay each evening. Will definitely be recommending to others and didn't see any other options during our time on the island that would have offered any where near the same level of comfort and quality.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Katrina S
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

Where can you start when you've had the perfect stay? I'm not normally taken to hyperbole. Yes, I've stayed in Hiltons and Sheratons and Four Seasons and loads of other stuffy hotel chains. I've visited adorable bed and breakfasts throughout Europe, US, and South America. But Casa Iguana Mar y Sol on San Cristobal in Puerto B. Moreno is absolutely the nicest overall stay that my family and I have had anywhere.

Where do you begin when you are greated by Luis himself with a giant smile as he welcomes you into his masterpiece. You see the beautiful work of art that he himself built with detailed, gorgeous woodwork and an artistically designed layout. The rooms are ABSOLUTELY spotless. Let me repeat, because I think you heard me say they are "very clean" but I didn't-- I said the rooms are 100%, absolutely spotless. I challenge you to find one speck of dust. Beautiful floors, comfy beds, and lovely views. Bathrooms are great, hot water is good, and wifi is about as reliable as can be found on San Cristobal (which isn't saying much, but you should judge based on what is available in a given infrastructure). Rooms are equipped with a fridge (and bottle opener!) and even include little details like a pair of hardy scissors to cut those little pesky Galapagos luggage seals off your bags.

Breakfast was an amazing treat. Luis himself asked when we'd like to eat, what we'd like to eat, and he even made special arrangements to please our two young daughters with pancakes. Fresh fruit is delicious and clearly local (if not homegrown), and Luis serves his own homegrown/dried/roasted coffee. It was 5 times better than other breakfasts we had in Galapagos.

The property is safe, gated, and features beautiful views to the port harbor from the higher floors. Don't worry that there is no elevator, because not only will Luis help with your bags, he will give the impression that it is his genuine pleasure to do so. I'm not sure I've met a kinder, more selfless host in all my years of foreign travel.

When we arrived with two small daughters, Luis and his family gushed over them and immediately set to work accommodating them. They brought extra towels, extra beach towels, Johnson-and-Johnson baby soap, etc. This level of service blew my mind. I would have thought that we were his only guests, the way he and his family treated us with such personalized and individual care. We were sad that we couldn't meet Patricia in person, too, as she is away, but even when we arrived home from dinner during his nightly Skype session with her, Luis jumped right up to check on us and insure everything was perfect for us.

I cannot say enough nice things about this hotel. Luis, thank you so much from the bottom of our hearts. My daughters, wife, and I enjoyed your masterpiece and your hospitality so much. We even said that despite all the many reasons to visit Galapagos, returning to Casa Iguana Mar y Sol will be high on our list of reasons for a second trip.

Stayed: January 2014
4  Thank Ultramodern1
spiralstaircase, Owner at Casa Iguana Mar y Sol, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

What can I say except......thank you from the bottom of my heart. Yes, I do SKPE with Luis each night, to touch base, verify with him for the 100th time that we treat people with genuine kindness.....be very careful with cleanliness, etc......he gets tired of hearing my standards.
But in your case, he called just after your arrival, to tell me "he was going to get to take care of a family with the two cutest children he had ever seen." He and his sister genuinely felt that they had won the lottery, to be with your little family. A couple traveling to show our beautiful, singular, evolutionary nature to two "bebes"........I can only imagine the successful future and impact those two will have on the world. I am jealous that I was not there. But I was visiting MY TWO beautiful daughters. I better get back to San Cristobal SOON, or I will not be needed at all.

Patricia

Reviewed 23 January 2014

We stayed at Casa Iguana Mar y Sol for 3 wonderful nights. My boyfriend and I speak Spanish poorly, but it didn't hinder communicating with Luis or receiving services. Luis (and his sister Alexandria) were in attendance during our stay. Each morning they fed us a wonderful breakfast, with the coffee being hand picked and roasted by the owners. It was obvious that Luis took great pride in his house, having constructed it all: tile, electricity, walls, beds, furniture. A few distinctive things about the experience.. 1) There is a pet rooster that runs around outside. He's very friendly and Luis would pick him up and talk to him. I loved seeing Luis' interaction with the rooster. I later learned from Patricia that the rooster had just shown up as a chick and they took him in. The rooster now has a wonderful life. 2) I would wander around outside some in the evening. Luis would turn on the lights around me and it was very sweet. 3) Our final day we had to leave super early in the morning. I told Luis we didn't need breakfast as it was so early. He got up early as well to see us off and still provided us with bowls of fresh papaya. 4) My boyfriend left his favorite t-shirt in the bathroom. I've been in contact with Patricia and she is in the process of mailing it back. She has no reason to do this.. I don't know that I'll ever be back to San Cristobal (only because there are so many places to see in the world), but she's doing it anyway, just because she and Luis are awesome like that!!!
Also to note, insects.. particularly large cockroaches.. are easy to come across on the Galapagos islands. I didn't see one bug at Casa Iguana besides some bees and ants and THAT was a relief!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Mary H
spiralstaircase, Owner at Casa Iguana Mar y Sol, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Ok...so here's the story concerning these nice guests. (as are 99.9 % of our valued guests) I am currently visiting my family in the USA for 1 month and Luis is caring for our guests. I was very lucky that his sister chose to come and visit him for 2 months. Luis and I speak via SKYPE each day, and I always ask if the English speaking guests need to speak to me. No, they don't he reports," we are getting along fine." He had told me about this nice young couple, and said they were having an really nice vacation. We have been blessed to have group after group topping themselves for niceness. The "male" of this couple forgot his favorite t shirt in the room. The "female" contacted me to see if it was at our house. (What love she has for him.) Value of used t-shirt : $5......sentimental value of said t-shirt: priceless. It is currently in the happy process of being repatriated to the USA. That's how we roll. Now about the pet "Rooster".....it arrived at our front door peeping, 4 months ago. What to do ? Why had him sleep in a box seated over our first-aid-kit's heating pad of course. He grew up enough that when I went outside and called "rooster, rooster" he came RUNNING to be PICKED UP. Now what to do ? If Luis who built my house is so handy with his hands....he can build the rooster a little house under the coconut tree, of course. In truth due to unclear physical characteristics, we do NOT know if he is a boy or a girl. If he starts cockle doodle doing, we will have to move him up to the highlands with Luis's coffee trees. I hope he lays an egg, and can still be our now not-so-secret pet CHICKEN. I'll keep you posted.