“Wonderful !! our smiles reflect from great service!”

Galapagos Eco Friendly
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This comfortable & green lodging, in a beautiful place is carefully presented by Harry, his family and staff. The breakfast served over-looking the town & bay was excellent every day! Fresh melon juice, eggs fresh from the cheerful chickens, and coffee or tea to your tastes!

Harry loves to assist in planning the activities you want for your perfect Galapagos Adventure. His personal contacts in town help your stay unfold easily. Snorkeling, bird-watching, or seeing the giant Tortoises, all can be facilitated with Galapagos Eco Lodge services.

We used the inter-island ferry to reach Puerto Baquerizo Moreno (where Harry met us at the dock!). Very rough seas in winter (June), so Harry accompanied us to the inter-island "Air ZAB" flight office and helped us book a flight for the return to Santa Cruz. The individual attention & customer service provided at the Eco lodge is unsurpassed.

Each of the three of us thoroughly enjoyed our 4 night stay & are convinced this is the best San Christobal lodging.
Big Smiles to Harry & family!

Room Tip: View from second floor was nice.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Galapagosecolodge, Owner at Galapagos Eco Friendly, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Ashley and friends: You may be smiling because of the service at the Galapagos Eco-Lodge, but believe me when I tell you that when Lucrecia and I read your review today I am sure our smiles matched and even exceeded yours! As you so aptly point out, we take our greatest joy from sharing our home, these islands we call Paradise, with you by planning your day trips, making your accommodations perfect and assuring that you have a memorable stay. As for the hotel being "green" - that's why we are an ecotourism destination. Lucrecia's yummy and satisfying breakfasts are always inspired by the availability of the freshest local ingredients and the type of foods we eat in Galapagos. Even the coffee comes from San Cristobal Island plantations. The hotel was built, as much as possible, using locally-available and recycled materials. Our island culture and dedication to the environment are reflected in the volcanic gardens, location, use of energy efficient appliances, water, air and other systems and other personal touches. But the level of comfort we provide comes from our use of the highest quality 21st century amenities. We thank you for your review and your kindness - it was a pleasure having you with us. Harry

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed a few days in this hotel on the way to Santa Cruz, it was amazing!! I was there with my wife, the owners were extremely nice and even provided free snorkel gear and laundry service. This is unprecedented in my experience with hotels.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dakinemon
Galapagosecolodge, Owner at Galapagos Eco Friendly, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

What kind and thoughtful words from you, our newest friends. It was more than our pleasure to have you with us and we would love to have you visit us again. Your review suggests that the level and attentiveness to service that is our standard at the Galapagos Eco-Lodge was unexpected in your experience. Nothing makes us happier than to provide that type of surprise to our guests. Your positive reaction just motivates us to do better all the time. Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely and helpful review. Harry

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Galapagos Ecolodge on San Cristobal was amazing! Very clean, helpful, professional, personable, and amazing breakfasts that come with the room. They offered prompt and free (at the time we were there) laundry service. I can't say enough good things about this hostel. If being in the Galapagos isn't good enough for you then staying here will complete the trip. Great value for the money as we are backpacking South America for a couple months.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Your words that the Galapagos Eco-Lodge is "the best hotel" are the greatest praise that Lucrecia and I could ever hope for. Meeting and exceeding the needs and expectations of all of our guests is our goal. It's easy with guests who are as warm and personable as you were. It was a delight to share our island and our hotel with you and we are thrilled that you allowed us to be a memorable part of your journey through South America. We hope that the remainder of your trip was every bit as satisfying and delightful. And, of course, we thank you for taking the time to acknowledge that the Galapagos Eco-Lodge was a highlight of your vacation. Harry

Reviewed 9 June 2014

This place was awesome! Harry is an amazing host, the place felt like home, and we loved it. He's a native, and everyone on the island seems to know him. He planned our trips, and made all the bookings - one of the trips was a highland tour that he had arranged where we had a great taxi driver. On the last day we had to leave early, and he offered us an early breakfast which was very thoughtful. If you visit San Cristobal island, this is the place to be at!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Galapagosecolodge, Owner at Galapagos Eco Friendly, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words about the Galapagos Eco-Lodge. Guests like you are what make us love the work that we do here every day. It was a great pleasure having you with us. Please return to Paradise again some day. Harry

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I arrived in San Cristobal by boat and was greeted by Harry, the owner of Eco Lodge.....our boat was late, but he waited an extra hour for us to arrive so he can personally show us to the hotel. It´s hard for me to put into words the amount of detail that went into the hotel and the rooms. Everything was of great quality and carefully constructed. As you can probably see there are many, if not almost all, positive reviews about this place....it´s because for a traveler who has been in many hotels and have spoken with many owners/managers, they know that staying in a place is very very rare and is a great pleasure. It´s also a convenient 10 minute walk to the downtown (he also has a few quality bikes to use just in case you want to ride around the island!).

Aside from the great detail, our room was spotless and it seemed like everything was brand new. The air conditioning worked great and was very quiet. The bathroom and shower were of high quality. The beds were awesome.

I think the best part was breakfast.....Harry, the owner, constructed a dining hall on the top floor which has an incredible view of the coastline and the town. If that wasn´t enough, they cooked us an incredible breakfast with fruits, yogurt, homemade juice, coffee, french toast, eggs, and that was just for one breakfast :)

In terms of helping us navigate the island, he booked two trips for us, called the taxis, and even waited outside for us until 10pm to let us know that he had reserved our trip to Kicker Rock.

After having traveled over much of the world and staying in hundreds of hotels, I´d say this is by far my top choice....not only for the hotel itself, but the owner is genuinely a good person that is concerned and wants you to be happy with your stay at his hotel as well as in San Cristobal.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yanksfan1585
Galapagosecolodge, Owner at Galapagos Eco Friendly, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

The lovely and positive thoughts that you just posted on TripAdvisor remind me of you: great attention to detail, knowledgeable, upbeat and enthusiastic. Your words that your experience was "Positive in Every Way!" mean so much, resonate with me and make me incredibly happy.

Your review should be of great help to people who are interested in staying with us in the future, particularly your notes about how much attention we give to all of the amenities in the rooms and to making sure that each and every one of our guests has a wonderful time and leaves with memories to last a lifetime. You provide constructive and practical information, but most of all you capture just how much energy we devote to making the Galapagos Eco-Lodge a stand-out place to stay not only in Galapagos, but anywhere in the world.

You've given me a chance to write about just a few highlights of the Eco-Lodge:

- Lucrecia's delicious and varied breakfasts have become legendary and she is determined to make sure that every day our guests eat a hearty, healthy, appetizing and tasty breakfast to start an active day on San Cristobal Island.
- I do love San Cristobal and it's vitally important to me that my enthusiasm rubs off on my guests. That's why I share my knowledge, plan exciting adventures and even why I have built the hotel itself.
- Service has to be impeccable and that includes being patient when schedules change and addressing guests when they have individualized needs or desires. If you want to read my blog post on "Expecting the Unexpected" in the Galapagos Islands, please visit my blog at blog.galapagosecolodge.net.
- The walk or bike ride from the hotel to town center serves several important purposes: among other things, it allows our guests to immerse themselves in and explore some of the local culture, removes them from the sights and smells of the big city, and gives them the gorgeous hillside view of the sunset and Pacific Ocean.
- Every day I seem to find something else I can do to make the hotel better than the day before. In fact, since you left I built an outdoor shower area where guests can get refreshed after a day of hiking or snorkeling.

You mention that you have traveled over much of the world and stayed in hundreds of hotels and talked to many owners and managers. Yet, you say unequivocally, "This is by far my top choice." How can I ever thank you enough for such a marvelous review?

Harry

Reviewed 26 May 2014

The shower was either freezing or scalding hot.
The 'hotel' resembled an out of date Las Vegas motel.
Breakfast was served with no choice of preference which is great if you like plantain and fried cheese pancake..
The garden is a volcanic rock field with 3m sections of AstroTurf as greenery..
We were woken up every morning at 7am by crashing and banging around the motel..
For $50 a night Harry's place is a joke..
They did do our laundry for us.. But all the whites were still dirty..
Very disappointing for a place that had so much potential

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Chrisgoodwin1
Galapagosecolodge, Owner at Galapagos Eco Friendly, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

I am very disappointed and sorry that the Galapagos Eco-Lodge did not meet your expectations. This is certainly not the type of reaction we have come to expect and I would have done anything in my power to make your stay at our bed and breakfast more positive.

Had you told me, we could have easily and immediately addressed all of your concerns. To adjust the water you simply needed to turn the water all the way to hot, then adjusted it down to stabilize the temperature. As for your breakfast, I would remind you that my email to every visitor specifically asks that all dietary preferences be made known to us so that they can be addressed. In the three mornings that you were here, you were served a different breakfast each day. Just as you asked for, and were served, specially prepared eggs each morning, Lucrecia would have made something else. Breakfast variety includes home-made empanadas (not fried cheese), American-style pancakes, and many more offerings. And, of course, every breakfast includes eggs, fresh fruit, juice and more. As for your heavily stained laundry, again it’s a matter of your not telling us that you had a problem that we could easily have addressed and corrected. I have to take exception to your saying that it was noisy in the mornings; the only noise was that of the other guests waking to a glorious Galapagos morning.

The Galapagos Eco-Lodge gardens are volcanic – as is every single natural ground cover throughout the Galapagos Islands. Those that are not volcanic are manmade, not endemic to this culture or the environment. A visitor to the Galapagos Islands in general and to an eco-hotel, such as the Galapagos Eco-Lodge, in particular, comes because of the dedication to nature and preservation of our environment and biodiversity. This garden reflects the austere beauty of nature and is perfect for attracting Galapagos finches, mockingbirds and lava lizards.

I am glad that your room was comfortable and that you see the great potential in the hotel. For the small amount that you paid, you received not only a full breakfast and laundry service, but also airport pick-up and delivery, day-trip planning and, of course, first class room accommodations including top quality king-sized mattress, linens, sheets and towels, in-room wifi, flat screen t.v., in-room microwave and refrigerator, bicycles at no additional rental cost, remote control energy efficient quiet air conditioner and more. We meet and exceed that potential for most of our guests.

Our hotel is many things, but a "joke" is not one of them, particularly when everything that you take exception to could have been corrected with but one word from you. We ask all of our Galapagos Island visitors to remember always: the Galapagos Islands are rustic, quirky and unique; you must come here with excitement and anticipation of the differences you will find and the delight of immersing yourself in a new and intriguing environment and culture.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

I feel very badly for putting up this review so late (May 2013). Galapagos Eco Lodge was a wonderful place to stay, but at the time we visited, there were some kinks being worked out (out of hot water, poor internet). From the reviews, it sounds like the Eco Lodge has really blossomed and it certainly deserves all the positivity given Harry's dedication to an eco-responsible accommodation.

Location: This B&B is up a hill about 10-15 minutes stroll from town. It is an easy walk and should be a non-issue for most people. For people who want to be "central", Eco Lodge is still perfect because pretty much everything is at your doorstep on an island with $1 taxis!! One tip: If you catch a taxi in and they don't know where Eco Lodge is, just say "Harry Jimenez" and they will get you there!

Rooms: At the time we stayed, the rooms on the main floor were all completed. You could already see the beginnings of a beautiful hotel complex. The units are homey and thoughtfully designed, with large closets, small fridges, microwaves and very comfortable beds. Everything was very clean, something I saw Lucrecia working hard at each day. I think all the rooms face the garden, so it doesn't matter too much which floor you are on.

*** The HIGHLIGHT of this B&B however is the top floor. A beautiful spacious open-air dining area with a small bar (where they make breakfast) on the side, with views overlooking the town, the port and water. At night, you can see the stars twinkling over the entire town. San Cristobal has fairly small accommodations, so if you are visiting with a group of family or friends, this makes for a fabulous private retreat.

Service: It is without saying that Harry cares about this island and its visitors. He pretty much organized all our trips our snorkel and boat trips, which makes this one-stop shopping. They also provide snorkel equipment if you want to head out to the beaches on your own. Delicious breakfasts, freshly made to order gave us a great start to each day.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hykwok
Galapagosecolodge, Owner at Galapagos Eco Friendly, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

It's never too late to write a review as helpful and filled with positive reactions such as yours. In the year since you were here, we have indeed made some pretty special additions to the hotel. There are many but some of the highlights are: adding six new guest rooms, upgrading the hot water delivery system and amount available, refreshing all of the hotel linens, towels and sheets, installing LED lighting, featuring new amenities such as hair dryers and clock radios, repainting and refreshing every guest room, adding stronger routers for wifi, making available bicycles for riding around the island and into town, and providing purified drinking water in every room. But the biggest single change is our newly completed endemic garden with restful hammock and patio area that our guests have come to love at the end of the day. I'm glad you mentioned our third floor dining area. Each and every one of our guests do indeed love it in the morning during breakfast, at sunset for watching the equatorial sun setting over the Pacific Ocean and at night for star gazing in one of the few places in the world where you can see stars from both the northern and southern hemispheres. But now we have even used the dining room to host and celebrate some memorable occasions for guests who have anniversaries, honeymoons and birthdays. It is a perfect private spot for a special event. Of course, some things never change and our commitment to the environment and personal service are two such foundations of the Galapagos Eco-Lodge. Thank you so much for your review. Harry

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Baquerizo Moreno
#6 of 8 in San Cristobal
La Zayapa Hotel
La Zayapa Hotel
#3 of 16 in Puerto Baquerizo Moreno

Been to Galapagos Eco Friendly? Share your experiences!