“Open water course + Kicker Rock”

Galapagos Underwater
Book In Advance
More Info
US$170.00*
and up
Los Tuneles - Isabela Island
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: ABOUT GALAPAGOS UNDERWATER Since 2001, Jose A Bravo Founder and CEO Galapagos Underwater has developed, organized, and delivered top-quality diving tours in one of the world´s hotspots of biodiversity. We offer a complete range of products to explore practically every dive site of this wonderfully diverse marine reserve. For more 6 years, Galapagos Underwater has been leading adventurers like you to one of the world´s most exciting travel destinations, a place of countless natural and cultural wonders. Galapagos Underwater tours are distinguished by creativity, safety, professionalism, and attention to detail.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
New York City, New York
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Open water course + Kicker Rock”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I came to San Cristobal on my own with a mission to complete my certification, dive Kicker Rock, and see all that the island had to offer. Jimbo helped me reach all of my goals. Aside from the diving, he told me the best spots to go snorkeling, good places to eat/drink, and even arranged for a guide to bring me on a day trip to Galápaguera to see the tortoises.

As an instructor, I can't attest that he was quite as thorough as others have claimed, but I had already done my academics and confined water dives upon arrival, which most likely explains this. I only needed to do my four open water dives, and all of these went very well. It did bother me that I didn't have my own diving computer as PADI suggests, but I just followed Jimbo and everything was fine. He is very good at ensuring you feel safe, stay calm, and above all, have fun. Galápagos waters can be rough, but under his supervision, it did not take long at all before I went from feeling quite nervous to feeling completely comfortable. By the third dive I was having the time of my life. You're going to see a lot of aquatic wild life during your training, which is a big bonus if you came here to get certified.

Apart from my course, I also did Kicker Rock with Jimbo and one other beginner. Many people say this wall dive is not for beginners, and honestly it probably isn't. Jimbo, along with my confined water instructor, both said I was a natural and that I could handle it. I can't lie, I was scared, but it turned out to be absolutely amazing. Galápagos sharks, hammerhead sharks, sea turtles, sea lions, rays, exotic fish, the works! The only downfall being that as a beginner I'd breathe all the air out of the tank in a mere 20 minutes. Disappointing, but the breathing improves only with experience.

Overall, Jimbo turned out to be a disciplined instructor, reassuring divemaster, and a great friend. I will be back!

Visited February 2013
Galapaguitojim, Propietario at Galapagos Underwater, responded to this review, 16 March 2013
Dear Adam.
Muchas gracias por tu comentario, seguimos trabajando por ustedes y para el mundo.

Thank you for your comment, it is quite emotional and inspiring. We are still working on improvements, after a dive experience comes friendship. Welcome on board.

• Hebrew first
Uppsala, Sweden
“Open water and advanced course!”
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I did both my open water and the advanced padi course with Jimbo. He´s very thorough and makes sure that you know all the theory and equipment before going into the water. Then in the water you go through all the exercises and you get more and more comfortable. I wouldn´t have the advanced course if I hadn´t felt safe with him.
Like I said he´s very thorough and even though we had an incident with the boat disappering (for 2,5 hours!!!) I would recommend doing the courses with him and I went diving again. The incident was definitely not one of my top experiences/memories but Jimbo made sure that we always swum as a group (we were 3 people including him) and not panic. I´m happy I was with the people I was with, otherwise I wouldn´t have gone diving after that!
If you have the chance to go dive with Jimbo I wouold recommend all of you to do it! I will definitely come back one day.

Visited December 2012
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Kicker Rock Dive”
Reviewed 17 December 2012

Had two dives at Kicker Rock. One before and one after lunch. Although the dive master(Jimbo) had a very relaxed attitude our safety was his first concern. The dive boat appeared to be in good shape being clean and comfortable. Jimbo will take pictures and email them to you without a charge....Nice touch. Overall, had a fun time with Galapagos Underwater Exploration. Did not see hammerhead sharks but they cannot control that.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Toad68
Galapaguitojim, Propietario at Galapagos Underwater, responded to this review, 19 December 2012
Dear Toad68,

Thank you for you review, we are happy with you safety on your dives.
One of our projects we want to make for 2013 is to have a working alliance with one of the best brands of diving insurance such as DAN. We are working on that.
San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“3 Days of Excellent Diving!”
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Jimbo and his team provided me and my family with 3 days of excellent diving, including Kicker Rock, Espanola Island and Punta Pitt. He provided us with a private boat, excellent crew and dive guides. We coordinated the trip through email before we arrived, and Jimbo made sure that everything went as planned. He also helped us with taking underwater pictures and video which I am looking forward to seeing.

Jimbo is an excellent guide and very good at helping to make a thorough plan for the trip. We have done many dive trips to remote and exotic places. Jimbo is right up there with the best operators. I also found the price to be very reasonable.

I would recommend this operation highly. I would trust Jimbo with my life - and more importantly - with my children!

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Rick E
Kriens, Switzerland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“PERFECT !!!”
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I did my open water padi course with the instructor Jimbo (Jose A. Bravo @ Facebook) in March 2012. It was a great experience. As I have problems with claustrophobia Jimbo needed a little bit more time, to make myself comfortable in diving underwater. He made an excellent job. He was very careful about security and the diving equipment he provided, was from my viewpoint on a very high and new standard. There were "only" 3 persons in the course and he is normally not taking more than up to 4 or 5 divers at the time. The first day was theoretical videos and summaries about what is important for diving. The next 2 days were already diving in the sea where it was not deeper than 5 meters. The last day we had 2 dives down to 20 and 15 meters. It was a great experience. I recommend Jimbo at all levels. He is very reliable. I have so much confidence in him, that I went back in July 2012 with my nice who is 19 years old and she took the open padi course with him too. With his very open and friendly personality he is also able to adjust to any kind of personalities - youngsters and older people like me. We then also finally went diving to "Kicker Rock". We were very lucky that day: We saw "Hammersharks, Galapagos Sharks, White dipped Sharks, Sea Turtles, Sea Lions, Sea Stars, Stingrays, of course a lot of other little fishes I don't remember the names of and last but not least, luckily we saw a little Seahorse" :-). Jimbo took a lot of pictures and made some videos which he copy for us and provided them at no extra cost. THANK YOU VERY MUCH JIMBO !!! I will definitely come back one day to dive with you again. You are the best diving instructor in the world.

Visited July 2012